First Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode I Screenshots Released

Wii News

Wii News Blog
Oct 10, 2009

Even those who are skeptical about the return of old-school 2D Sonic would have to admit that these screenshots bring back some fantastic memories. And all those hoping that this new and improved version of Sonic would recapture past glories at the same time as adding a shiny new twist must be getting even more excited after seeing these lush new screenshots. We’ve got them all for you right here so feast your eyes!

In case you missed the hyped-up announcement back in February, Sonic 4 is being developed exclusively as a downloadable title on all the major platforms, including WiiWare, with SEGA aiming to combine the familiar Sonic 2D side-scrolling action of the past with gorgeous new HD environments. The game sees the return of special stages, taking players through a variety of different zones, all inspired by the great Mega Drive era.

Each level in Sonic 4 is separately selectable from the main menu, meaning that players can easily find and replay their favorite individual levels. And all the best-loved characters will be back, including the villainous Dr. Eggman, of course! Here’s Gary Knight, European Marketing Director SEGA Europe Ltd, talking about the game:

“Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I is a return to the classic game style of the original Sonic games. It’s great to be able to offer fans of the Sonic series the type of game they have been asking for in a high definition experience.”

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I will be available for download on WiiWare in Summer 2010.

Back