For those of you that have both a Wii and A Gamecube...

ItWasLuck3

WiiChat Member
Feb 16, 2008
Okay so I was thinking about going to buy a gamecube to hack it up, and it occurred to me, a gamecube would look a million times cooler with a wii drive.

So here's my question... From what I have seen the connections for the DVD drive to the Wii are the same for the Disc reader to the gamecube... So doesn't that mean if I go and buy a replacment DVD drive (for Wii) and plug it into my Gamecube, will it work? Cause if the Wii can play gamecube games that means that the drive has no problem reading the games, and if it reads them just like a normal gamecube would, wouldn't this work?

If anyone has any time or the equipment to test this, I would be greatful.

I'm not gonna test it out, but if the connectors are the same then I daresay that would work, yes. Don't take my word for it, though :p Any wasted money/dead hardware is your own responsibility.

So basically... you're trying to add a DVD drive... to your gamecube... Are you trying to make another system similar to a Wii?

I explain a little more... I would be playing GC games on a GC through a Wii Drive connected to the gamecube.

I'm going to figure this out.

like gutting the wiis optical drive to plug it into the game cube?
the optical drive only reads reflections off the DVD, the wii actually holds the Operating System to know what to do with that data...

i'm guessing... do you have a dead wii on your hands you want to revive?

I wish I had a dead wii on my hands, and the only replacement drives I can find are $120... maybe ebay will have some busted wii's...

this won't work... you need so much more than the drive... everything is in the wii's motherboard... the wireless remote logic, game-save storage... you really will have a solid-state wii for not much more money...

and if money's not the issue and you find it hard to get your hands on a wii for MSRP $250... don't give up! :yesnod: read here how i got one. :)

idjut said:
this won't work... you need so much more than the drive... everything is in the wii's motherboard... the wireless remote logic, game-save storage... you really will have a solid-state wii for not much more money...

and if money's not the issue and you find it hard to get your hands on a wii for MSRP $250... don't give up! :yesnod: read here how i got one. :)

I wish i was smart, then i could use big words and confuse people for fun!

I don't see why it would work, I'll explain it in a technical way.

IF... the Wii can read gamecube games that means the Drive has no problem reading them then transferring the info the the motherboard of the Wii, then Wii then switches into "gamecube mode" where it acts just like a gamecube inside of a wii, like a gamecube emulator.

Conclusion: Wii drive can read and send gamecube disc info.

Secondly: If the connections for a Wii DVD drive to the motherboard are the same as a gamecubes "minidvd" drive to motherboard, connectivity should be no problem.

Conclusion: It made by the same company so connectivity shouldn't be a problem.

Third: Its the Wii motherboard thats taking the data coming from the DVD drive and running it, which means all the drive is being told to do is either A) Get the info off of a Wii disc, or B)Get the info off of a Gamecube disc. In this case the drive would be capable of getting both but plugging it into a gamecube, it would only be able to execute the gamecube games.

Conclusion: A Wii drive reads the disc the same way the minidvd reader on a gamecube does, and it sends the info the same way. So theoretically it should work, and yet its still a mystery.

idjut said:

You're completely right, but I think you've got the wrong idea about what ItWasLuck3 wants to do. He doesn't want to transform a Gamecube into a Wii by adding in a Wii disk drive, he just wants to swap the Gamecube's disk drive for a Wii one to make it look better - he'll still only play Gamecube games on it, not Wii ones, so the OS, wireless capabilities, etc. etc. shouldn't be an issue.

Back