Foreign object lodged into disc drive - help

Chl0e1

WiiChat Member
Jun 15, 2009
My four year old stuck a flat Wall-E magnet playing piece into the drive and it sucked it in. We need to know what we do from here. We can't even see into it to see how far it went, have tried to look with a flashlight, tried turning it on and off, tried eject numerous times and it goes thru the motions like it's trying to. We tried a disc - to make sure he indeed did stick something in it -and the disc won't go in. We aren't sure if we can take it apart and get into it. Any suggestions? Is this magnet piece going to destroy anything?
Thanks!

Foreign object inserted into disk drive
If I know what you mean.

If you can get Nintendo to fix it, you should. Is your waranty still valid?

this may not be covered under warranty.
most PC shops or game shop could open it up remove the magnet.
if you've owned it for awhile, they could dust it out too.

good luck!

If I'm correct doesn't opening it up void the warranty? Your best bet is to just send it in for repairs.

If I'm correct doesn't opening it up void the warranty? Your best bet is to just send it in for repairs.

Oddly enough there's no way of telling if you have opened your Wii up (or so I'm reliably informed) so it shouldn't be a problem.

That said the Nintendo service for repairs is pretty much spot on and often cheaper than the prices 3rd parties charge.

what i would do is dismantle the wii and remove the drive. then get a long and thin blade (thin like a razor) and very slowly and very carefully slide it into the slot, press it against the side of the magnet and draw it out. or at least get it to the opening where it can be pulled out with tweezers or by hand.

but that's me, it's something i've done before on other drives and it works fine for me with no damage done to the drive. but that's just me and is by no means an actual suggestion, lol.

i would suggest to you to just have nintendo get it out, it'd be safer for the wii and the chances for success are much greater.

Back