Forest Temple monkey problem - potential glitch/bug

unaesthetic

WiiChat Member
Jan 29, 2007
Problem solved - feel free to delete or sink this thread :)

Hello everyone.

To begin, I'm a software developer myself so I hope this will at least somewhat validate my assumption that I have found a glitch. If I'm wrong, that is actually more satisfying because then I won't have to replay seven hours of the game to reach where I'm at now.

Anyway - here's what's up:

I've reached the Forest Temple dungeon and am working on freeing the monkeys. I have only three monkeys. However, I have completed rooms 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 of this map:

928519_20061122_screen011.jpg

I have freed all the monkeys in the rooms. I beat the boss and got Ooccoo. I've gone through two separate walkthroughs and it appears I have done everything I'm supposed to do, yet I still have only three monkeys following me when I go to the bridge in room 3. By all accounts I should have four monkeys at this point right?

The only thing I can think that I did out of the ordinary is that sometime before or just after freeing monkey two (I think?) I saved my game and quit. When I returned to the game I left the dungeon entirely and went as far back as the swamp with the fog before I remembered where I was in the plot and went back to figuring out the monkey puzzle. It had been a few days so I'm not sure one- how many monkeys I had already freed before leaving and two- how many monkeys were waiting for me when I got back from screwing around outside.

Hopefully at this point you guys will all chime in with whatever obvious thing I am overlooking - but if not I'll provide more information if you'd like.

Anyone else experience this problem? These monkey chirps are getting VERY annoying...

Last edited:
Check all the rooms that contain the trapped monkeys again. The logic behind this is that you might have forgotten to save for one of them and so you end up with only 3 monkeys saved.

Riviet said:
Check all the rooms that contain the trapped monkeys again. The logic behind this is that you might have forgotten to save for one of them and so you end up with only 3 monkeys saved.

I've done this about ten times :(

So you are sure that each cage location is empty? And there are 3 monkeys following you around?

Is the fourth one hanging onto the ropes in room 2? If so, just walk into room 3 and hopefully you should get a cutscene.

Finally got it. I am an idiot, he was in room 8 chillin. Thanks guys :)

Glad you found him. Good luck with the rest of the dungeon. If you need some more help with the forest temple, feel free to check out my complete walkthrough here. :)

Back