From WWI to Wii

vashivihan

Let There Be Rock
Oct 24, 2007
canada
Wii Online Code
8799-9801-1544-7718
ABBOTSFORD, B.C. -- When Nintendo designed its popular Wii gaming system it probably didn't have Gladys Powers in mind.

But that hasn't stopped Powers, a 108-year-old veteran of the First World War, from enjoying the machine anyway.

Powers took to the Wii immediately after it was donated to Valhaven, the retirement home in Abbotsford, B.C., where she lives.

"She was boxing with it and punching away," said Debbie Block, activity coordinator at Valhaven.

"She has a lot of energy. It was a lot of fun."

Powers was born in England in 1899 and served in the British forces, first in the Women's Auxiliary Air Force and later in the Women's Royal Air Force as a barracks waitress. She is one of the last surviving female veterans of the First World War.

She's lived in Abbotsford for decades, where she still loves to cut a rug on the dance floor, said Block.

"She still dances. But she dances with her walker now, just for stability."

ha ha cool guy. linkage

Amazing. What a fascinating person. Shame on anyone who disrespects old people.

balrogs.pa said:
Ha ha, cool GIRL! gosh! Your so sexist! :)lol: )
lol. i just looked at the picture and assumed it was a guy. i didnt realize.

Actually, I do believe Nintendo had 108 year olds in mind when they made the Wii. Still, pretty cool.

Thats amazing, I just listened to a interview with the last surviving USA veteran of WWI. The man was amazing little slow at talking and hard of hearing but whats to be expected at 108? he seemed to remeber every date and detail of his life back untill 1910, just incredibal guy. I heard there are only about 20 WWI veterans left in the world.

Back