FRuMMaGe's Guide to Wiimote Surgery

FRuMMaGe

Waluigi's #1 Fan!
Dec 18, 2006
England
Wii Online Code
2482-6460-3144-9934
FRuMMaGe's Guide to Wiimote Surgery

Here is a quick guide I threw together about how to disassemble (and spray-paint) a Wiimote.

------------------------------------------

Step 1

39643545de3.png

You will need a Triwing screwdriver for this.

Step 2

25852954vw6.png

Remove the battery cover and unscrew the four screws from the back of the Wiimote.

Step 3

66999472sf5.png

You may find it useful to use the battery cover as a container for the screws so you don't lose any of them.

Step 4

67142131go2.png

Gently pry open the Wiimote clips with a screwdriver. Be gentle, as you don't want to break them.

Step 5

49736654aw7.png

Detach the bottom half of the Wiimote from the top half and place it down gently. At this point it doesn't matter if any of the buttons fall out, because we will have to remove them later anyway.

-----------------------------------------

Step 6

81126060ef6.png

Remove the main circuit board from the body of the Wiimote. The force-feedback module (marked in red on the picture) is sometimes glued down. Grab it with your fingers or some tweezers and just pull it off, this will not damage it (do NOT pull it by the cables).

Step 7

13506747vf2.png

Be sure to keep your work-station tidy and try to avoid losing any buttons or screws during this process.

Step 8

72617211sb2.png

Remove the trigger button by pushing it upwards from bottom of the Wiimote.

----------------------------------------

Step 9

10bb4.png

This step is optional, but recommended if you are planning on spray-painting your Wiimote. Remove the battery contact from the back of the Wiimote.

Step 10

16097589az4.png

Place the 3 parts of the Wiimote down on some newspaper, with the part that would normally be on the outside facing up. Now gently spray them from about 6 inches away until they are completely covered in a THIN layer of paint.

Wait approximately 30 minutes for it to completely dry, then repeat this process 2 more times, giving you 3 layers of paint.

------------------------------------

Step 11

11ye7.png

When they are all dry, turn the pieces over and spray-paint a VERY thin layer onto them. You only need to do 1 layer on this side.

CAUTION: Do not attempt this step until the previous layers are dry, or you will get newspaper stuck to your Wiimote.

------------------------------------

Step 12

12no3.png

Now we are ready to reassemble our Wiimote. Put the trigger back and then replace the circuit board, making sure to put the force-feedback module back into it's original slot.

If you are not sure which way the circuit board goes, just look at the bottom of it. The Nunchuck slot must be at the bottom.

---------------------------------------

Step 13

13po6.png

Now place the buttons carefully back on the circuit board. Use tweezers if you don't have steady hand.

Step 14

14qq4.png

The reason we did not put the speaker back with the buttons was because it is very difficult to get in exactly the right spot. Instead, put it into the top of the Wiimote as shown on the picture.

-------------------------------------------

Step 15

15jy6.png

The speaker has a very annoying tendency to fall out of the Wiimote when you are attempting to replace the top. I have found that if you place something metal (such as your screwdriver) against the speaker holes on the Wiimote, the speaker will stay in place because of it's magnetism.

With this in mind, try to place the top part of the Wiimote down over the buttons and back into place.

Step 16

16fu6.png

Push the top down until it clicks into place.

Step 17

17gk0.png

Use your Triwing to replace the screws into the four holes on the back of the Wiimote.

Step 18

18tp9.png

Return the battery contacts to their original position.

-------------------------------------

Step 19

19hr5.png

Use your imagination! Remember, you do not have to spray-paint each part of the Wiimote the same colour.

Be sure to post your results here. :yesnod:​

Last edited:
Remember, you do not have to spray-paint each part of the Wiimote the same colour.

Yes, yes you do, or else I will come to your house and go OCD on your ass.

Nice tut. :thumbsup:

Sweetness! Love the waluigi themed wiimote...

Oh yeah, how did you get a clear wiimote? Did you paint it? :O

Once again u come through with another awsome tut....great job Frummage

Edit:: also believe this should be stickied

Last edited:
Wow huge thanks to Frummage. I'll probably be spraying mine lime green and if that works well my other two wiimotes red and then blue (sapphire)

Oh yeah, how did you get a clear wiimote? Did you paint it?

how in the hell would you spraybomb something clear????

you can buy the alt. cases online (not through ninty.)

Thanks for the comments people, particularly the one about stickying it :lol:

As for the clear case, I got it for £5 on eBay.

Once you have taken the components out of the controller you are free to use any case you want. :yesnod:

are you keeping your original white cases or are those already painted...?

[media]http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2169/lukedb7.gif[/media]

idjut said:
are you keeping your original white cases or are those already painted...?

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2169/lukedb7.gif
Where the hell did you find that?!? :lol:

I suppose you googled FRuMMaGe and found my norwichparkour account :lol:

EDIT: Yeah I sprayed both my whites.

One is black and the other is purple. I like to mix and match them :lol:

Great thread! Repped for the good walkthrough, I can't wait to take mine apart and apply some paint.

Back