Frustrating Lan adaptor problems

danhirons

WiiChat Member
Oct 17, 2007
Hi I'm Dan and I am new to the forums. Recently I purchased an official wii Lan adaptor but have incurred the following problem:

First of all I have a Speedtouch ADSL wired modem (similar to the one here, two down two across from the left) and it is connected to my telephone port thingy. Then I have an ethernet cable connected from the modem to my computer or in this case to the lan adaptor. Then the lan adaptor should fit into the back of the wii. However, the cable running from my modem to the wii lan adaptor is in built into the modem on the one side and on the other has a USB port head and so doesn't fit into the wii lan adaptor!

Does anybody know if there are any cables or things that I can use to get the wii lan adaptor to work?

Thanks

Dan

If I am understanding what your saying, then sorry but your out of luck. If your DSL modem feeds your internet through USB the only way to use any of the Wii's online functions is to setup your computer to work as a router and feed the ethernet from the comp to the Wii, or get an ethernet based DSL modem.

yes, how do i get my computer to work as a router?

Thanks

I think your best option is to go out and get the nintendo wi-fi adapter (WARNING: Do not get this if you are running Vista. I learned this the hard way.) Just plug the USB of your modem to your main computer and plug the wi-fi adapter in another USB slot on your computer and your wii will pick up the signal from your computer. That should get things running.

The problem is that I have Vista on my computer and have already tried using a wifi thing and it didn't work!

Thanks

Dan

You SHOULD be able to get Windows connection sharing to do it for you. Assuming you have an ethernet adapter (you should) in your computer, AND Windows sees your USB connection as a valid networking device (just because it works does not mean Windows is seeing it as the right type of device)

Make sure you have the wiring down before you set up ICS. You want your USB going to your comp (make sure it is working at the time also), and ethernet cable going from your ethernet card in your PC, to the Wii LAN adapter, to the Wii.

Then follow these directions: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/bfd3bd31-82f0-4b9c-9cde-fb92bc2b14771033.mspx
and you shoudl be good to go.

Thanks for the advice, just need to get another ethernet cable and then will try it out and let you know how i get on.

Dan

Is there any type of ethernet cable that I need in particular?

Maleko said:
You shouldn't need a crossover cable. Normal everyday ethernet should be fine.
If you are planning on connecting from the modem to the Wii, then you'll need a patch (regular) cable. If you are planning on connecting the PC to the Wii, you'll need a crossover cable.

Just got cable. Set it all up and shared internet connection but nothing. The wii says it cannot connect to the internet, error code 51420.

My ISP connection is working fine and I can connect to the computer but the wii can't seem to connect to my connection.

Any advice on what to do next?

Back