Future Wii Speculation

RJU690

WiiChat Member
Mar 31, 2007
Atlanta
What do you speculate the future of the Nintendo Wii is regarding possible hardware revisions, upcoming controllers, and things in that nature?

1. Many of us are aware that Nintendo is planning to release a Nintendo Wii cabable of DVD playback and possibly in other colors in the latter half of this year.

2. I have heard talk of external hard drives as well.

3. Also, many on this forum have theorizied that Nintendo is developing an enhanced sensor bar.

4. Do you think Nintendo will offer another hardware revision that would allow the Wii to have HD output?

5. What do you think the likelyhood is that Nintendo will produce more accurate and improved Wii remotes in the future?

6. Will Wii offer new hardware revisions many years later such as the recent Xbox 360 Elite?

Please share your thoughts here.

Last edited:
there is a good chance that the DVD compatable Wii will just be a firmware update.

Clish said:
there is a good chance that the DVD compatable Wii will just be a firmware update.

No, to my understanding you actually need new hardware for that which would come in a new Wii version. I don't think it's something that can be downloaded.

RJU690 said:
No, to my understanding you actually need new hardware for that which would come in a new Wii version. I don't think it's something that can be downloaded.

Um wrong. The Wii games are Optical discs. (did some searching) but I have also seen that they are DVD discs. It is going to be a update if you want to play DVD's with your Wii. Personally I don't care either way since the Wii is only capable of 480P and having an HDTV I will not be playing DVD's with my Wii. That's what HDMI is for!

Last edited:
RJU690 said:
What do you speculate the future of the Nintendo Wii is regarding possible hardware revisions, upcoming controllers, and things in that nature? Many of us are aware that Nintendo is planning to release a Nintendo Wii cabable of DVD playback and possibly in other colors in the latter half of this year. I have heard talk of external hard drives as well. Also, many on this forum have theorizied that Nintendo is developing an enhanced sensor bar. Do you think Nintendo will offer another hardware revision that would allow the Wii to have HD output? What do you think the likelyhood is that Nintendo will produce more accurate and improved Wii remotes in the future? Will Wii offer new hardware revisions many years later such as the recent Xbox 360 Elite? Please share your thoughts here.

Basically what you are asking is discussed throughout these "WiiChat" Forums every day in one form or another.

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
Basically what you are asking is discussed throughout these "WiiChat" Forums every day in one form or another.

Sorry, I'm new here and I did try the search function. I couldn't find any threads related to this, so I must be really bad at searching.

Just look around a bit man. There are so many threads here that discus what people want the Wii to do or what they would like. Rumors and things are all over the place. Just look a bit more.

I thought that the discs were dvd-like optical discs although i would really love a firmware update for the dvd's, i would be really dissapointed if a new wii came out, i wouldnt be surprised with sony and microsoft releaseing 2 or 3 diffrent versions of their consoles (memory and features differs), im sure nintendo will try to make everything work on the current wii as they wont want to start a big releasing more diffrent wii's.

the future looks bright, the future looks ninty.

[img=http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/9255/ththerevolutionbyalfihars8.jpg]

Last edited:
Cpt.McCloud said:
I thought that the discs were dvd-like optical discs although i would really love a firmware update for the dvd's, i would be really dissapointed if a new wii came out, i wouldnt be surprised with sony and microsoft releaseing 2 or 3 diffrent versions of their consoles (memory and features differs), im sure nintendo will try to make everything work on the current wii as they wont want to start a big releasing more diffrent wii's.

the future looks bright, the future looks ninty.

[img=http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/9255/ththerevolutionbyalfihars8.jpg]

Well Sony has rumored to stop making the 20 GB PS3 and focus on the 60 GB version. Xbox 360 Elite is to compete with the PS3 60 GB. When has Nintendo ever updated a console not including any of the hand held gaming systems except for the color or accessories of a system. To my knowledge they never have.

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
Well Sony has rumored to stop making the 20 GB PS3 and focus on the 60 GB version. Xbox 360 Elite is to compete with the PS3 60 GB. When has Nintendo ever updated a console not including any of the hand held gaming systems except for the color or accessories of a system. To my knowledge they never have.

yeah but instead of a new console id much rather a firmware update to support Ext. HD's,firmware updates is where nintendo can take the advatage by offering us all the new benifits without having to purchace a whole new console.

RJU690 said:
What do you speculate the future of the Nintendo Wii is regarding possible hardware revisions, upcoming controllers, and things in that nature?

1. Many of us are aware that Nintendo is planning to release a Nintendo Wii cabable of DVD playback and possibly in other colors in the latter half of this year.
They will have multipul colors, they always do. As for the dvd playback, it should already have been dvd ready but thats up to nintendo, i think it would be a bad move to have one model thats dvd usable and another thats not. My guess though is that its software related and might show up in an upgrade, since the dvd rom should be able to play them.

2. I have heard talk of external hard drives as well.
that would be kind of pointless in my opinion. Its possible though.

3. Also, many on this forum have theorizied that Nintendo is developing an enhanced sensor bar.
The sensor bar is merely a device that shoots out infared light in which the camera located insde the wiimote uses to use the aiming function. I dont see why they would upgrade it, or how. Its already doing its job. Theres nothing more they can really do to it.

4. Do you think Nintendo will offer another hardware revision that would allow the Wii to have HD output?
no. right now the games are not made for that kind of resolution, nor is the system ready for it. I have a feeling nintendo's next system will use the wiimote and games but be HD capable. They are not planning on the wii being a long term system like the 360 and Ps3. Imagine the wii2 HD with updated graphics and backwards compatibility for wii1 games in about 5 years.

5. What do you think the likelyhood is that Nintendo will produce more accurate and improved Wii remotes in the future?
No, i think they will focus on attachments and rely on possible third party hardware.

6. Will Wii offer new hardware revisions many years later such as the recent Xbox 360 Elite?
The elite is trying to compete with the ps3. The hardware revisions are there to promote its TIVO function. This is the main reason behind the elite.

The Wii is a cheap and short term system. I would honestly consider it a prototype in which nintendo is testing out the market. They were not sure if the wiimote would be a success or not, so to reduce risk, they made a system they would not lose money on. Thats why the Wii is the only system to make a profit for unit sales. This is also the reason why its hardware is below current gen standards. The graphics are horrible compared to the 360 and Ps3. But, take heart, now that nintendo knows there is a market for the Wii approach to gaming, the next system will build upon what the prototype did. I wouldnt be suprised to see nintendo make a new system that they lose money per unit next time around, this would mean more advanced hardware. Current gen stuff.

They are trying desperately to prevent another gamecube and so they are taking a very careful approach that wont let them lose profit.

First off the Wii does have a dvd drive, just not the decoder for dvd movies. it looks like they will launch new Wii's with a multimedia program that includes the dvd decoder, so it would make sense to offer the update on Wii shop as an additional purchase, chances that they will include it in an update are unlikely as they need ot pay rolyalties on the software but may offer for free on update to give early adopters a cookie. We will just have to wait an see.

The Wii already has the power play DVDS but not the firmware you need illegal software to use that function...... Its just like how the original XBOX has the power to play DVDs but you need to buy an extra accessory to use that function.....

Cpt.McCloud said:
im sure nintendo will try to make everything work on the current wii as they wont want to start a big releasing more diffrent wii's.

look what they did with DS, a year later... ds lite... why? because of PSP

its the exact same thing thats definately gonna happen... i say a new wii around christmas time

Back