Game On: Nintendo Vs. Sony

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
It’s taken me a while to allow myself back into the gaming world. Having spent about 5 years as a freelance games reviewer for The Independent I lost my enthusiasm for the gaming industry in general somewhere between writing copy for the banal Mary Kate and Ashley: Mystery Mall (0.5 Stars) and the unending line of Marvel vs Capcom beat-em-ups. Don’t get me wrong, I know I was privileged to have held such a job for so long, and from such a young age, but come on, what would you do if you were confronted with a game like this?

So, after a few years of steering clear of all new consoles and closing my eyes to the shiny new games that came out, in the last year I finally gave in to temptation and embraced the world of next gen consoles; namely the Nintedo Wii and, very recently, the PlayStation 3. And funnily enough I’ve now found that I have less friends, less time on my hands and less money. Monetary and social-life issues aside, it must be said that I’ve not regretted a moment of owning either of these two machines.

The Wii has undoubtedly changed the way we think about gaming. Although motion sensor games were far from new when it was released, it was the fact it got people playing games in a far more natural way: swinging golf-clubs and tennis racquets, firing off arrows and even cooking up a stir-fry.

There is, of course, an inherent danger as these games become more physical, and that is the risk of injury. In fact this very fate befell one of Altogether Digital’s developers quite recently, as he attempted to smash the world record for the hammer event in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. Thankfully he has since made a full recovery, and has even gone on to break the offending world record.

And the future only looks more exciting for the Wii, with the upcoming Star Wars: The Force Unleashed game already getting the gaming world chomping at the bit.

In contrast, the PlayStation 3 has had a relatively muted existence so far. Like the Wii, the PS3 has motion sensor with its wireless six-axis controller, but this is yet to be successfully utilised in any of its new titles. It is the highest powered games console in the world, with more processors than you can shake a stick at and a graphics card that makes real-life look bland, and this has resulted in some very good games: Call of Duty 4 and Assassin’s Creed particularly worthy of note.

However, these games don’t push any boundaries - players go through the usual motions of running, jumping, firing, and figuring out puzzles as they did on the PS2 games, just with far superior graphics. Compare this to a game like Super Mario Galaxy and you’d be forgiven for wondering how Sony are justifying the £350 price tag they’ve slapped on their latest gaming beast.

The answer, however, may lie in longevity. Although many of the new Wii games are genre defining, can the motion sensor action really make up for the Wii’s lack of processing power on a permanent basis? And how many more games can companies invent that will allow users to play in new and innovative ways? The PS3, on the other hand, has yet to be fully exploited in terms of the power it offers, with Sony’s President of Worldwide Studios Phil Harrison claiming some time ago that “nobody will ever use 100 percent of its capability”.

Admittedly we will probably be enthused for many months to come with the graphically wondrous but unashamedly unoriginal revamps of old favourites like Resident Evil and Grand Theft Auto, but I truly believe we are yet to see the best of the PlayStation 3. Besides, at least you can buy them easily at RRP in most highstreet shops.

Source

CantGetAWii said:

Again someone who values pure muscle over everything esle. To bad Nintendo didn't match the ps3 in terms of power, it woulda been a different story than.

Well, hopefully the next console Nintendo comes out with, will be more of a competition graphics wise, but at the same time keeps it's unique gameplay. Then, it will be the ultimate gaming console!

go nintendo it would win (being random K?) weeeeeeheeeeeeee sonic and tacos and even linkys horse would beat sony....and they rock ass go epona!

You almost need both, i play my PS3 for the serious, mind blowing graphics, online play etc but when i want to just have FUN the Wii is the one to do it on. They are both video game consoles but both almost have different purposes. The PS3 is my late night online player and the Wii is my daytime/evening player! :smilewinkgrin:

Gumby said:
You almost need both, i play my PS3 for the serious, mind blowing graphics, online play etc but when i want to just have FUN the Wii is the one to do it on. They are both video game consoles but both almost have different purposes. The PS3 is my late night online player and the Wii is my daytime/evening player! :smilewinkgrin:

If only there was more people who thought like you, instead of slaggin off one for the other. Why can't both be valued for what they offer us gamers? I, for one, am so sick of all the fighting and postering and hate.

manred said:
Well, hopefully the next console Nintendo comes out with, will be more of a competition graphics wise, but at the same time keeps it's unique gameplay. Then, it will be the ultimate gaming console!

It's too bad that it even has to be like this, that the wii cannot stand on it own as is.

Last edited:
Gumby said:

im almost the same way , i have both ,and they both have the strengths and weakness , the wii , is great for me when me and my roommate want to play a quick game against each other which the ps3 lacks alot , of , and the wii is a great partt consol , but the ps3 is my baby , it owns , plus i actual can get the web browser for free , im not screw like nintendo is doing ,

Ok, explain the logic here. I'm in a foot race, and I'm in 4th place(Counting the PS2 since it's still on the market). Now in order to catch up I start to focus on the guy in first place? Huh?

romj said:
It's too bad that it even has to be like this, that the wii cannot stand on it own as is.

Ummm... Isn't that what it's doing now?

Isn't the Wii's installed base more than 2 times that of the PS3??? If the PS3 hits 20 million sales(if it ever does) there is no way the Wii will be at the same place. The Wii would probably be at 30 million sold at the LEAST.
A more realistic number would be 40 million wii's sold.
I honestly think the Wii's momentum is only going to get stronger this year. The most anticipated game for the Wii ever comes out in March. Smash Bros. Brawl. And I predict Wii Fit to be a worldwide phenomenon.

Caliko said:
Ummm... Isn't that what it's doing now?

Yes it is, but I'm making a different point with this issue. I'm adressing all the haters out there who keep comparing it to and wishing it was like the others.

If the PS3 keeps losing exclusives to the Xbox 360 like it has in the past then there's no way it'll ever catch up with Nintendo. Nintendo's got its biggest game ever on the horizon for Wii. What does Sony have that's coming out this year that can compete with the hype of Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

romj said:
Again someone who values pure muscle over everything esle. To bad Nintendo didn't match the ps3 in terms of power, it woulda been a different story than.

To me it seems like he likes his Wii more over the PS3. Right now I would slap him. But thats only cuz right now im so addicted to CoD4 that i would have bought a console just to play that 1 game over and over.

Back