Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Gamecube Games on Wii: Recommendations requested

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by Bridgeboy, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Bridgeboy

Bridgeboy WiiChat Member

I recently bought a Wii specifically to play Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess because of all its great (perfect) reviews. I am currently playing LoZ:TP and I am having fun, but when I'm finished, there is not much of any other Wii games that really catches my interest at the time. I have owned and still owned an Xbox and an Xbox 360, however; I've never owned a Gamecube, and there are several highly rated games for Gamecube that I never played that I thought I may want to try now that I have a Wii. Specifically, Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime received very high ratings and reviews in the past.

So, the purpose for this post is for anyone to suggest any Gamecube games that they thought were good and that they would recommend for play on the Wii.

Graphics are important to me, although not paramount if a game is good otherwise (LoZ:TP is a good example....it may have good graphics for the Wii, or Gamecube, but it definitely has much poorer quality graphics than the Xbox 360 games for instance, but it is a fun game to play so the graphic quality isn't that important). I play on a 61" 1080P HDTV and I use the component cables with the Wii. By the way, are all Gamecube games 480i or are some 480P?

Also, would you suggest that I buy the Wii Classic Controller, or should I buy a Gamecube controller, or does it make a difference?

Since I've never owned a Gamecube, and I'm only just a beginner with the Wii, any other suggestions or thoughts fon this subject will be welcomed as well.

Thanks! :)

2. dseaver

dseaver WiiChat Member

If you do buy a GC controller, get a wavebird, its totally worth the money

3. ajnokia

ajnokia WiiChat Member

Get Resident Evil. I never had a gamecube but my uncle gave me all his gamcube stuff a month ago. You got to get Resedent Evil 4 and the Zelda Collecters Edition

4. EasyTarget

EasyTarget WiiChat Member

Ok i am in the same boat as you. I never had a gamecube so I just bought a used copy of Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime 2 and they are both really good so far. You will have to buy a gc controller though to play gc games as the classic controller only works on the virtual console. I bought a wavebird for $30 at Target. I know for sure I am going to get the rest of the Resident Evil series for the gamecube. I believe there are like 6 different ones. I plan to get Mario Sunshine and the Zelda games. I'd like to hear some more suggestions from people who had gamecube's.

5. dseaver

dseaver WiiChat Member

Except for Resident Evil(1), RE4 and RE zero, the others (re2, re3) are just ports.

6. dseaver

dseaver WiiChat Member

Also, double dash is a must

7. StevenNevets

StevenNevets WiiChat Member

IGN has a top 25 GC guide, most games peope would recommend are on there.

8. Celestial

Celestial WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 3049-9371-2306-9680
    3049-9371-2306-9680
    Yup Mario Kart: Double Dash! Fun game! Also, Super Smash Bros. Melee, since Brawl probably the most anticipated game for wii.

9. dseaver

dseaver WiiChat Member

Melee is a given :p

10. Darth_Zant

Darth_Zant WiiChat Member

Viewtiful Joe is a fun game but kinda hard (for me anyway, although the one for DS, while equally awesome isn't as difficult). I also am going to try and get Resident Evil 4. I hope it's as good as they say.

But in regards to getting a classic controller vs. gamecube controller. DEFINITELY get the gamecube WAVE BIRD. It's a bit pricey but it beats the stuffing out of your other options, especially better than sitting all close to the wii because youve got a short wire on a regular gamecube controller.

I bought a wavebird so i could play Ocarina of Time from the virtual console, it is SOOOOOO convenient to just sit there and switch from one game to another to another to another, without ever having to get up and plug this in or that in.

11. gingerkid

gingerkid Banned

Yeah i suggest the wavebird especially with your 61 inch tv will look like crap 3 feet away with a wired controller. Also i suggest getting resident evil 4 and mario kart. Also cheap time wasters since you've never played a GC get super mario sunshine and primal fury, they can't be over 10 bucks.

12. Skorp

Skorp WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 2652-0001-8231-6800
    2652-0001-8231-6800
    I'm in the same boat. I just bought mario sunshine and loving it so far. I also ordered metroid 2 (my brother has the first which I'll trade with him for until I beat the first one) and resident evil 4.

I really want Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and Beyond Good and Evil. If you like zelda, reviews say that Beyond Good and Evil is like a grown up zelda type game. I want it really bad but it's hard to find for cheap, it's fairly rare. And let's not forget LoZ: Wind Waker if you liked zelda, although its very different from TP. I already have that but prolly won't play it very soon. Many loved it, many didn't (mostly cause of it's style and kiddishness).

People suggest Tales of Symphonia if you want an RPG, or Baiten Kaitos. Gonna finish the gamecube games I bought already first though. A newer game that was released in 2006 that looks cool is Chibi Robo, but it also looks kind of kiddish so I'm gonna wait on that one too. As someone mentioned the IGN Top 25 is a good place to look too.

I already have a gamecube controller, my brother doesn't play his much so I took one of his, I'll prolly pick up a wavebird when I start making money again in the summer.

Check out www.hitgaming.com for cheap new gamecube games. Shipping is somewhat expensive but it evens out cause the prices are marked down and I highly prefer new copies to used ones. I'm weird like that.

#12 Skorp, Mar 20, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  13. LyricistSoldier

LyricistSoldier |Losing Faith Nintendo|

get a wavebird, prime, rogue squadron 2, jedi outcast, smash bros, mario kart

nuff said, thread closed.

14. bubs

bubs WiiChat Member

good gamecube games:

Super smash bros
    Mario tennis
    Mario kart
    Paper mario

Are really good as well.

15. Skorp

Skorp WiiChat Member

2652-0001-8231-6800
    Is Paper Mario for gamecube much better than the one for N64?

16. raisinghelen

raisinghelen WiiChat Member

Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Sunshine, Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader, Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike, Wave Race, F Zero GX, Zelda, Resident Evil, Metroid Prime.. all very good Gamecube games.

Some games although the Gamecube versions are great i'll wait for the updated Wii version, such as Smash Bros.

I currently have Mario Kart Double Dash, Resident Evil and Metroid Prime which i borrowed from a friend. I own Rogue Squadron III (it was $8!) and hope to get F Zero GX, Rogue Squadron II and Mario Sunshine cheap too.

17. Bridgeboy

Bridgeboy WiiChat Member

Thanks for all the replies!!!

I already played Beyond Good & Evil on my Xbox; it was pretty good at the time.

I guess I'll have to consider and look into these Mario games that everyone keeps mentioning. I previously had not payed them any attention because they seemed so cartoonish and kiddish. Do older gamers like those Mario games as well?

18. Skorp

Skorp WiiChat Member

2652-0001-8231-6800
    I think Mario Sunshine definately is somewhat kiddish, but the level of difficulty surprises me. It is a very robust game with lots to do and many challenges. The tasks are varied enough to have kept my attention all week. I have 42 or so Shine Sprites, I believe there are 120 total, but I'm sure they'll be harder to get the more I get. Despite it's kiddishness I think they did a great job with the game, its very worthy of the mario name. I loved Mario 64, somehow this one seems more kiddish, but its growing on me the more I play.

19. My god the Wii owns...

1. Hm...I'm starting to think that you think this game is kiddish.
    2. How is it "kiddish", let alone more kiddish than Super Mario 64?

It's Mario...do you expect endless gore and ominous darkness?

....ANYWAY, I'd suggest Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Resident Evil 4, Soul Caliber 2, if your into sports, maybe some skateboarding (Tony Hawk), football (Madden, 2005 is a good one), or basketball (NBA Live).

20. Bridgeboy

Bridgeboy WiiChat Member

Well I just got home with a new Nintendo Wavebird controller and Resident Evil 4.

I have batteries in the Wavebird, its turned on, the receiver is plugged into the Wii through a gamecube port, both set to the same channel and nothing happens. How do you get the Wavebird to work with the Wii?? Thanks!

EDIT: I figured it out....it doesn't work in the Wii menu but after you start the Gamecube game then you start using the gamecube controller and it works....

#20 Bridgeboy, Mar 23, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2007