Gamecube Games on Wii Region protected?

Evil_kaz

WiiChat Member
Feb 4, 2007
London, England
Hi all

(first post)

I know that Wii games are region protected but was wondering if playing GC on the Wii is also affected by the region protection?

The reason is im trying to get a hold of Resident Evil 4 and none of the usual online retailers have it in stock. Had a look on ebay and all the UK versions are a bit expensive. But there seems to be a few USA versions going cheap.

Thanks in advance :)

They probably are, but Nintendo might of slipped and forgot about that. Wii parental controls don't affect GameCube games, so maybe they just made it capable of running GameCube games and decided to not bother with anything else?

Unless somebody else has already tried it out, you might just have to test it for yourself.

Thanks for the replies :)

Any idea if this freeloader works on the Wii for GC games?

Ideally i wanted a new UK version of RE4 but most dont have it in stock and the few that do, like Amazon, are £49.99 :yikes:

Evil_kaz said:
Any idea if this freeloader works on the Wii for GC games?

That's an interesting question. There was a video on the net, I believe it was called "WiiSperiments", in which they tested multiple things. Using the freeloader on the Wii to play import GC games was one of the tests.

It worked for them, but as of yet, I am unable to get it to work on any of the Wii's around here.

The only difference I could see is that theirs is a US Wii, where mine is a PAL one.

Evil_kaz said:
Hi all

(first post)

I know that Wii games are region protected but was wondering if playing GC on the Wii is also affected by the region protection?

The reason is im trying to get a hold of Resident Evil 4 and none of the usual online retailers have it in stock. Had a look on ebay and all the UK versions are a bit expensive. But there seems to be a few USA versions going cheap.

try gamestation they cheap

Been checking all over but none of the Gamestation stores seem to have it in stock. Im probably going to have to check out ebay for a copy!

Im in London but all the only CEX stores that have them are at least 2 hours away for me.

Anyway i got lucky, i told a friend of mine that i was looking for RE4 and he's picked a pre-owned one up from near where he works... cant wait to play it now... *rubs hands* :thumbsup:

But thanks for all your help :)

Last edited:
Evil_kaz said:
Hi all

(first post)

Lol. I see that game at Gamerz all the time. Best Buy probly even has some in stock. I know Wal-Mart does, I was just there.

And yes GC games are region protected on Wii.

Question: Why do companies care what country you bought the game from? I've always wondered why they insist on making systems incompatible from different countries. Cause they can obviously be played, so what the deal?

Last edited:
El Jefe said:
Lol. I see that game at Gamerz all the time. Best Buy probly even has some in stock. I know Wal-Mart does, I was just there.

And yes GC games are region protected on Wii.

Question: Why do companies care what country you bought the game from? I've always wondered why they insist on making systems incompatible from different countries. Cause they can obviously be played, so what the deal?

Those stores were the wrong side of the pond though :wink:

As for why games are region protected, i guess its the same reason why DVD's also are. To control supply and therefore the price in each region.

El Jefe said:
They do this to try to protect the local dealers and retailers. Most things in Europe are more expensive than anywhere else. Without region locking, a significant chunk of the market would simply buy online from the US.

Instead, that significant chunk now downloads everything for free instead of paying outrageous prices for things. :)

Flip said:
Instead, that significant chunk now downloads everything for free instead of paying outrageous prices for things. :)
There's always a way. ;)

Back