Gamecube Zelda vs. Wii Zelda

Colmino

WiiChat Member
Nov 24, 2006
GC Zelda has been out a few days. I had been holding off on purchasing Zelda for my Wii until I'd had a chance to "break in" the new control scheme on a less critical title, just as soon as some other Wii game comes along that I actually might want to buy. As a left-hander, I find the Wiimote/nunchuk combo to be, unfortunately, a poor match, one necessitating several weeks of getting used to (I'm sure right-handers love it). It would be a waste to play Zelda under such conditions.

Meanwhile, I've been eyeing the GC version for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, it actually freaking lets you use a traditional controller - something which the Wii version doesn't even pretend to offer. But almost as important is the fact that it's the version that is truest to the intent of the developers. The Wii version, by contrast, has the entire game reversed, including Link's hand orientation.

So why not buy the GC version now? Because I'd like to round up some data on how the two versions compare. Here are the two particulars:

1) Graphical quality and framerate. I've heard countless times that the GC and Wii versions are identical, including in these respects. But it'd be nice to know for certain. A lot of people seem to believe that the Wii is a more powerful machine than the GC. I say I'll believe it when there's a game that proves it, but it does leave room for doubt.

2) Widescreen. Now.. we all know the GC is perfectly capable of sending a 16:9 image. It's no different from a 4:3 image; the game simply has to be designed to adjust horizontal geometry accordingly. But I have heard that the GC version may, for whatever inexplicable reason, actually lack this option even while the Wii version most certainly offers it! If this turns out to be true, well, it's a disgusting example of anti-consumer marketing that earns Mr. Miyamoto a big black mark for showing his true colors. This would be the deal-breaker. So I hope this is not the case.

If there are other possible differences, feel free to chime in.

I don't know the answers that you seek. But I do know that the Wii version is very cool. Honestly, I can't imagine playing it with a traditional controller. Especially the fishing.

You can change the hand you have the main controller in... Duh, its the main option really... You can change it in Wii Sports, so why not anyother game?

1. Graphics are the same, just reversed (as you said).

2. The GC version only does 4:3. Perhaps because 16:9 is a Wii option, not an in-game option. Not sure if that's the reason though.

I personally after playing the Wii for nearly a month now, I can't stand playing with normal controllers anymore, I would love to play OoT or Majora's mask if I could with wii mote, Graphics don't bother me, bring back good memories ^^

And Twilight Princess is very nice on the wii, specially the controls

I just hope they put it on VC with Wiimote controls :hand:

I prefer the Wii controller, but the GCN version does have one advantage that I would love: Camera control - The only drawback of the Wii version in my opinion.

unluckylink13 said:
I prefer the Wii controller, but the GCN version does have one advantage that I would love: Camera control - The only drawback of the Wii version in my opinion.

A very big draw back in some situations. Although, the rest of the control more than makes up for it. It's hard to say for a left-hander though. I'm right handed, so I have no frame of reference.

Camera control! Holy crap. Yes indeed, in any third-person game, camera control isn't just an afterthought.. it's demanded. How does the Wii version handle this? No control at all? The camera just sort of follows the leader?

To elaborate on the left-handed issue.. Basically, everyone controls the thumbstick (in this case, the nunchuk) with their left hand, and has done so since the late 80s. Everyone is used to that. The Wiimote is somewhat new, but nonetheless similar in function (and brain programming) to the use of a mouse. See where it's going? A right-hander has probably used a mouse in their right hand for years. The Wiimote would present no challenge. A left-hander has two choices: Wiimote in right hand (presenting difficulties similar to if somebody were to control a mouse with their wrong hand) or thumbstick (nunchuk) in their right hand, which, again, is the complete opposite of how anyone is used to playing. No good choice. At all.

The GC's lack of a 16:9 mode is a deliberate decision by Nintendo, not a hardware limitation. And I damn them for it.

I've put 40 hours into Zelda and I've not had very many camera control issues. There are a few points where some difficulties have come about, but for 99% of the game so far, I've had no problem at all.

StevenNevets said:
I don't know about you guys but I can controll the camera:scared:

ya I have no idea wtf they are talking about. There are buttons to control the camera just like there is with the gamecube.

vagrant said:
ya I have no idea wtf they are talking about. There are buttons to control the camera just like there is with the gamecube.
Not exactly. On the Wii you can center the camera behind you with Z or you can look around in first person with C. On the GC you can also rotate the camera with the C stick, which is not something you can do on the Wii. But as mentioned before 99% of the time that's not an issue.

00420 said:
Not exactly. On the Wii you can center the camera behind you with Z or you can look around in first person with C. On the GC you can also rotate the camera with the C stick, which is not something you can do on the Wii. But as mentioned before 99% of the time that's not an issue.

Which is also something you shouldn't have to do at any point in time.

Back