Gameplayer: what makes Revolution stand out compared to the previous Civ games?

vashivihan

Let There Be Rock
Oct 24, 2007
canada
Wii Online Code
8799-9801-1544-7718
When it comes to videogame development, few in the industry have enjoyed the success and longevity that Sid Meier has experienced. The second individual inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences' Hall of Fame (after Nintendo God Shigeru Miyamoto), he co-founded MicroProse in 1982, where he developed the original Civilization game. That seminal release has since spawned a number of sequels on the PC format, each one garnering more critical claim and commercial success than the last. With Civilisation Revolution, the much loved strategy series is finally making its console debut, and we caught up with Meier to talk about the game “he’s always wanted to make”.

Gameplayer: you’ve always worked within the PC realm. Why have you now decided to branch out onto consoles?
Sid Meier: This latest generation of consoles is far more powerful than earlier versions and can finally deliver a game like Civ in a fun and engaging way. Civ lends itself well to the controllers (it’s really a natural fit for the game), the network gaming is a great place for the multiplayer and downloadable content we’re planning to deliver, and we think console gamers are ready for a totally new game experience – we want to finally introduce them to the wonders of strategy games with Civilization Revolution.

Gameplayer: Civilization has always offered a very in-depth experience. Is it possible to bring the series to consoles and still retain that depth?
Sid Meier: Yes! We are bringing all of the goodness of Civilization to the console and presenting it in an environment that allows for more intense gameplay – things happen more quickly and the visuals are highly detailed, fully animated and really engaging. Players are still challenged with the deep variety of choices and interesting decisions to make that have come to define Civ.

Gameplayer: in particular, Civ games involve a fair amount of micro-management. Is this style of gameplay practical with a controller (rather than the PC’s keyboard and mouse)?
Sid Meier: The Civilization games have never required you to micromanage, but the option is there if you choose it. Civilization Revolution is the same in that regard. We have made a concerted effort to streamline the gameplay so that it’s accessible, but the depth is still there and you can definitely choose to micro-manage certain aspects of your cities to maximize productivity. And as I mentioned above, the game maps very well to a controller, so gameplay isn’t just possible it’s downright fun with a controller.

When it comes to videogame development, few in the industry have enjoyed the success and longevity that Sid Meier has experienced. The second individual inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences' Hall of Fame (after Nintendo God Shigeru Miyamoto), he co-founded MicroProse in 1982, where he developed the original Civilization game. That seminal release has since spawned a number of sequels on the PC format, each one garnering more critical claim and commercial success than the last. With Civilisation Revolution, the much loved strategy series is finally making its console debut, and we caught up with Meier to talk about the game “he’s always wanted to make”.

Gameplayer: you’ve always worked within the PC realm. Why have you now decided to branch out onto consoles?
Sid Meier: This latest generation of consoles is far more powerful than earlier versions and can finally deliver a game like Civ in a fun and engaging way. Civ lends itself well to the controllers (it’s really a natural fit for the game), the network gaming is a great place for the multiplayer and downloadable content we’re planning to deliver, and we think console gamers are ready for a totally new game experience – we want to finally introduce them to the wonders of strategy games with Civilization Revolution.

Gameplayer: Civilization has always offered a very in-depth experience. Is it possible to bring the series to consoles and still retain that depth?
Sid Meier: Yes! We are bringing all of the goodness of Civilization to the console and presenting it in an environment that allows for more intense gameplay – things happen more quickly and the visuals are highly detailed, fully animated and really engaging. Players are still challenged with the deep variety of choices and interesting decisions to make that have come to define Civ.

Gameplayer: in particular, Civ games involve a fair amount of micro-management. Is this style of gameplay practical with a controller (rather than the PC’s keyboard and mouse)?
Sid Meier: The Civilization games have never required you to micromanage, but the option is there if you choose it. Civilization Revolution is the same in that regard. We have made a concerted effort to streamline the gameplay so that it’s accessible, but the depth is still there and you can definitely choose to micro-manage certain aspects of your cities to maximize productivity. And as I mentioned above, the game maps very well to a controller, so gameplay isn’t just possible it’s downright fun with a controller.

have great hopes for this game .link
http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/FEATURES/FEATURE/tabid/1488/Default.aspx?CID=c43aaa17-239c-44e5-a617-e9fa6cc92ee9&v7Pager=1

W000T some extra info finaly :D

I cant wait for this game! I have always been a fan of the civ series and I hope this game will rock as well! Maybe even an online mode :p

cyberzomby said:
W000T some extra info finaly :D

I cant wait for this game! I have always been a fan of the civ series and I hope this game will rock as well! Maybe even an online mode :p
there is online

I doubt I will even think about playing this game. A played CivIV+expansions to death on my PC a few years ago. Maybe some people that didn't have the joy of this game on PC can enjoy it on the Wii.

"We have made a concerted effort to streamline the gameplay so that it’s accessible..."

And that's where I stopped reading.

Yeh thats something that "scares" me as well. As long as its not going to be a toned down pc version that plays like C&C im going to buy it ( I think )

largedarry said:
I doubt I will even think about playing this game. A played CivIV+expansions to death on my PC a few years ago. Maybe some people that didn't have the joy of this game on PC can enjoy it on the Wii.

I'm still playing Civ III death on my PC, heck, I still break out Alpha Centuari once a year.

I'm also planning on getting this. Just because I'm not thrilled about the idea of streamlining doesn't mean I don't think smaller strategy games can't be fun as well. It's just a matter of being willing to expect what's coming instead what's come before. This won't be Civ4, but this game is going to have some Civ magic to it.

The Wii interface begs for strategy games. I hope they pay attention to the controls.

screw civ...can wii get some age of empires plawks? =)

now that i think about it, the wii's got a great setup for rts!

AoWFraggit said:
screw civ...can wii get some age of empires plawks? =)

now that i think about it, the wii's got a great setup for rts!

But the Civ games are not RTS. They are turn based strategy games.

Big difference.

Also, does anyone else have a problem with the fact that RTS games are misnamed? They are really Real Time Tactical games.

Back