Games too expensive?

GoBBLeS

WiiChat Member
Dec 23, 2006
I bought my wii before christmas and love it.. I'm new to consoles, i would say. I have only had a sega master system ten yers ago or so. Well anyways; a big difference between a PC and a console is that a console is much easier to program to, becouse there's only one configuration, where as on the pc there's 1000's.

Then why is it that console games are always much more expensive?
Here in denmark, PC-games are usually around 350-400 KR(60-70 us Dollars), and cosole games are 500-550 KR(85-95 us Dollars)

PS. It's new games i'm talking about.

Where on Earth are you from?

I'm in the US and games run $30-50 for me. You must have some ruthless import taxes on games. Is that kroner? Man I hate being an ignant American.

GoBBLeS said:
I bought my wii before christmas and love it.. I'm new to consoles, i would say. I have only had a sega master system ten yers ago or so. Well anyways; a big difference between a PC and a console is that a console is much easier to program to, becouse there's only one configuration, where as on the pc there's 1000's.

Then why is it that console games are always much more expensive?
Here in denmark, PC-games are usually around 350-400 KR(60-70 us Dollars), and cosole games are 500-550 KR(85-95 us Dollars)

PS. It's new games i'm talking about.

Console games are no where near 85 to 95 USD, nor do PC games run 60 to 70 USD. If you are having trouble finding decent priced games, go to WWW.GAMESTOP.COM to see reasonable prices.

In UK, wii games are £35-40 ... at current exchange rate, that's nearly $70-80. I'd buy US games, but they won't play in Europe - the games (and machine) are region encoded.

Bastards.

csiguy4u said:
Console games are no where near 85 to 95 USD, nor do PC games run 60 to 70 USD. If you are having trouble finding decent priced games, go to WWW.GAMESTOP.COM to see reasonable prices.

Yes but hes not american so they wouldnt work on his console. He was sayin that 85$ is the equivilant of his money.

But in the uk there 25-40 Pounds.

EVERYTHING is more expensive over here. The wii console costs £180 - nearly $360.

ok dudes! heh i just looked at a currency website and looked at the US currency, my bad:nonod:
well i at gamestop it's only around 40-60$...

Well then i have a question: Why are console games more expensive than pc-games, wouldn't it be naturally be the other way around??

GoBBLeS said:
ok dudes! heh i just looked at a currency website and looked at the US currency, my bad:nonod:
well i at gamestop it's only around 40-60$...

Well then i have a question: Why are console games more expensive than pc-games, wouldn't it be naturally be the other way around??

Well, i'd say $40-$60 the price of a new PC game around here too.

But in general console games are harder to develop than PC games because developers need to use software specifically designed for that system. Thats why there is only a handful a PS3 games out right now because the development software sony provided developers... kinda blew.

You can also wait a few months for any non-must-have games and you can guarantee the price will be almost cut in half. Circuit City already dropped the prices of Rayman and Red Steel down to $30.

The reason PC games are cheeper is because they are easier to copy... if every PC game cost the same price as an xbox 360 game, then the piracy rate would go through the roof.

It might also be other reasons, but thats what id "blame" for the low prices.

ClawiLewak said:
The reason PC games are cheeper is because they are easier to copy... if every PC game cost the same price as an xbox 360 game, then the piracy rate would go through the roof.

It might also be other reasons, but thats what id "blame" for the low prices.

Eh, not really piracy doesn't have to do much with it. Remember a huge part of PC gaming is now online gaming. And with online gaming, games are getting much harder to pirate. Heck if you bought Half-Life 2 for PC you couldn't even play the singleplayer mode until you connected to the internet and it registered your cd code.

and do you remember the original xbox? people modded the crap out of that thing so it could play copied game or even just load a game onto your harddrive and play it.

I would agree that piracy is more of a problem with the PC industry, but that doesn't effect the price much.

Australians pay $100 for a new Wii Game = US $78.80
New Zealanders pay $120 for a new Wii Game = US $83.50

And it is not as though us Australasians earn more. Our average wage is only slightly different to America.

E.g Worker gets paid $AU42000 in Aus. Same worker gets paid $US40500 in US.

Last edited:
Back