Gamestop Manager Won't Sell Games To Stupid Kids

devitek said:
In no way am I saying that parents should push that hard. If you have a kid that just struggles, the first thing you should do is find out why. After that, you see if there is anything you can do to help, or if there is a program or group that can help. If you deplete your options, as a parent, to help your child learn and maintain decent grades, and your child is still failing, then you just have to drop your expectations. At that point, however, you probably have a child that fits what I described earlier and they probably would struggle just as much with video games as they would at school.

Also, expecting A's from a child that is just not capable is ludicrous. My daughter is exceptional, and I expect those types of scores from her. I don't push her to an extreme--I just make sure she gets her homework done every night and that she understands her coursework. If she wasn't capable, then B's or C's would be fine, too...just not anything lower.

More outstanding assessment. I'm positive - barring physiological issues - that all kids are capable of getting good grades with some effort. Maybe the baseline program has to be lowered, maybe there has to be some complimenting support by the parent, afterschool with the instructor, tutoring, etc., or even as devitek suggested, maybe "good" is a sliding scale to accomodate your child's capability.

However, I suspect most of the general programs in school are within the capability of _most_ children. It's a bit of a copout to subscribe to the notion that the cognitive ability of a child is so out of skew they have the inablity to perform decent in some capacity.

I knew folks in high school, that I wouldn't consider brilliant thinkers, but who did exceptionally well because they put in the effort. They were at the library the day of an assignment, they turned in extra drafts, they did all the extra credit work (as opposed to people like myself, but that's another story :lol: )

Hell, from what I remember of grammar and middle schools, it was mainly read and regurgitate.

It's not about discriminating between smart and stupid. I have known many smart people in my day that have been slackers and just didn't do the work, hence they didn't get the grades. On the other hand, my best friend is a teacher and teaches low-income, troubled kids. She does everything she can to get them to pass - they just have to go to class and do the work. Sure, maybe they won't get A's, but if they do the assignments they will pass. It's not about smart or stupid - it's about kids having the right priorities. If they are doing their homework and other assignments, then they will get passing grades and thus could buy a video game from this dude.

one id like to say its none of the managers business how a kid is doing in school, and if i was a kid id just take my business else where not that hard anyway i never buy games from gamestop or any of those shady places...Now as a parent of 2 i will say its a decent thing to do so kids are getting good grades but i think it should be up the parents to decide because 98% of the time the parents are giving the kid money to buy games or buying them for them. so as a parent the parent should be looking at the report card and telling little billy no and not the store manager. my kids are 5 and 2 so i dont have to worry about good grades just yet :)

Ha Agree with the story 100%

Education is going to get you find you a job that you enjoy working and earning your paycheck

Gaming is only a hobby (It may make you famous like Fatal1ty but there is not a very good chance at it) the best thing I ever got out of gaming is Hand and Eye Coordination

My parents were almost the opposite. I came from a large family. So you learned to cook for yourself at age 10 or starve. Despite their poor parenting I think I raised myself well because I had lots of responsibility looking after my brother an sisters. I didn't do a good job, but damn I tried. Ironically they barely touch video games. Sigh... If I was better they'd be playing video games at least once a week. I feel ashamed.

sagema said:
Sigh... If I was better they'd be playing video games at least once a week. I feel ashamed.

Don't take it so hard. You can only do so much. You can lead a kid to video games, but you can't make them play. :wink:

Wow lol He's a good man but a dumb one for doing it the way he is.

He will be sued for Discrimination and it will be for doing something he feels is right...which it kinda is in a way. But unfortunately you do have kids who struggle in school no matter how hard they try, so it wouldn't be fair to them

I just finished high school in 2006 with good grades! And I walk across the stage during graduation! Now look where I am now. I am a college student and I have a full-time job that gets a paid check's twice a month! I am pretty smart person.:) When I was in school they told me always, always check when you spell stuff etc. But even a smart person so can make typo's once a while. But that guy might get in deep trouble at his store not selling the stuff to the guest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spyro said:
Actually, thats an awesome idea. I'd do it. Kids are idiots these days because their parents let them slack off in school.

EDIT: Of course he's making kids mad! But since when do kids know what's best for them?

It's not his job to decide what's best for them. He has no right, he is not legally allowed to refuse to sell a product to a customer. This could possibly turn into a huge deal. I'm sure if EB/Gamestop heard about this he'd be fired in a second. His job is only to sell games and I hope that somebody gets him in trouble for this.

Plain and simple it is wrong and as a parent it would piss me off. My child has learning difficulties, occupational motor skill problems in his hands and he works harder then most kids in his class but still doesn't make good grades. If some pompous corporate manager told my kid that he couldn't purchase something becuase of his grades I would be furious.

Brawny said:
This guy's heart's in the right place, but he's gonna get sued.

Maybe he should start a fund that everyone donates to to pay royalties in the case. hahaha

I was thinking something like this, as I had to have my dad buy RE4 for me. grrrrr

No, he's a piece of crap. I'm 34, and 20 years ago I was a degenarate horrible student, however I had the time of my life in 1987 with NES and SMS games. Just because I hated school didn't mean I didn't deserve my games.

devitek said:
It's brilliant. I hope other stores get wind of this and start incorporating the idea somehow. When I see a neighbor kid playing something on his PS3 all evening long, then see my daughter trying to do her homework all evening, it gets me thinking. When I see that same neighbor kid skipping school 90% of the time and my daughter never missing a day, that gets me thinking, too. It makes me think that the parents of that neighbor kid are going to perpetuate a system that teaches each generation that they can live off of the system instead of becoming productive, and that makes me furious. So, if a store manager at GameStop decides that parents aren't qualified anymore to have jurisdiction over whether or not their kids get to play new video games, then he's taking a much-needed stand.

If my daughter wants a video game, she gets it--she's a straight-A student.

The neighbor kid needs someone to take his PS3, Wii, and 360 and run them over repeatedly with my car. Will it make him attend class and get better grades? No. Does he deserve it? Absolutely. I'm sure the parents think that playing games is better than a life of crime or drugs or whatever, but the reality is that when the games get old and boring, their kid is going to turn to those other things out of sheer boredom.

Soap box of the day. If I offended any of the younger crowd that happen to not do well in school...

Do your homework, pay attention in class, and get a freakin' tutor when all else fails. Sheesh, it's not like any of you are entitled to play video games. You are, however, entitled to an education so long as you live in the USA.

Take away your neighbor's kid's video games and he'll go into drugs. He won't improve his grades. Nothing could have made me into an A student 20 years ago, and my mom still bought me on average 4 games per month. However, it kept me indoors, and I never got in any trouble with the law, which is more important than school anyway.

Back