General Forum Suggestions

mushroomedmario said:
he's referring to people just posting articles and not giving any feedback, in his opinion, unless you have something to say about the article, you shouldn't post it....

That

Im ok with somebody postin a news story but with out there own feedback it just looks like there doin it to up there post count

I guess thats partially directed at myself, and I understand your frustrations. When I tend to post things though I do read them, I just don't always like posting right after or before I put the Source, its kinda messy.

I wait for a few members to weigh in usually, then I provide my thoughts.
Helps with further thread questions and keeps people well informed so theres no surprises. Although lately I haven't been posting news much.

Introduce yourself sections though as well, do the copy and paste and its blatantly obvious when they do it. Lately I have seen members saying the same things and directing them to threads they have made over and over not changing any words. Others will post and not read the first post themselves, which shows they are just upping their post count.

There's no solution for the intro section really other than making posts there not count towards post count.

CantGetAWii said:
...Lately I have seen members saying the same things and directing them to threads they have made over and over not changing any words...
i'll bet i change/add/edit to my greeting 40% of the time... that's not often, but why would it be lamer than simply "Welcome to WiiChat!" my greeting is no more impersonal... it's unique to me and is wordier that the simple "Nice to meet you!"

i've had many direct contacts from new members for the warm welcome and cool YAY! I love my my wii thread.

it's no more about post count than the simple "Welcome", Can'tGetAWii.

a new member can get nearly 10 one-liner welcomes... and it's not uncommon to see them state in thier thread how they are surprised people love to welcome them.

All he's saying is that it's an easy way to up your post count, and a lot of people fall into the temptation. It couldn't hurt erasing post-gains in that sections, would show who the genuine "welcomers" are.

idjut said:
a new member can get nearly 10 one-liner welcomes... and it's not uncommon to see them state in thier thread how they are surprised people love to welcome them.
I agree, even if a welcome is "copy and pasted" it still does make the new member feel more invited in to the WiiChat community.

Last edited:
ssbb_lover said:
All he's saying is that it's an easy way to up your post count, and a lot of people fall into the temptation. It couldn't hurt erasing post-gains in that sections, would show who the genuine "welcomers" are.
that's my point. first impressions count 100%
could the surprisingly grand welcome contribute to that new member's tenure?

in addition, post count or not, i love my welcome message and i think it leads them to a very positive thread compared to some threads which could possibly be in the middle of a heated debate...:yesnod: (for their first impression of a wiichat thread)

Last edited:
idjut said:
i'll bet i change/add/edit to my greeting 40% of the time... that's not often, but why would it be lamer than simply "Welcome to WiiChat!" my greeting is no more impersonal... it's unique to me and is wordier that the simple "Nice to meet you!"

i've had many direct contacts from new members for the warm welcome and cool YAY! I love my my wii thread.

it's no more about post count than the simple "Welcome", Can'tGetAWii.

When the user does not leave much in their post its hard to say much more than Welcome to WiiChat/Forum, enjoy it. If the user shows they care about coming here and have a decent intro its easier for me to say something to Welcome them, be it games, hobbies etc. Its hard to connect to users who say "Hi, new here."

I also don't intro too often, so when I do say Welcome it isn't that bad. Nor was I only the one talking about this matter, I am just saying it shouldn't up post count. Removing that has been talked about forever now, and was brought up again recently.

Your thread direct is fine, and its alright if you do edit it or whatever. All I am saying is maybe switch a line or two every so often so it doesn't seem your copying and pasting. Nor were you the only one, I just used it as an example when I looked there last.

That section should remain as it is.

If you haven't noticed, there are a select few people that post there. I don't bother posting there for the most part, so you guys deserve to have your count increased.

idjut said:
that's my point. first impressions count 100%
could the surprisingly grand welcome contribute to that new member's tenure?

in addition, post count or not, i love my welcome message and i think it leads them to a very positive thread compared to some threads which could possibly be in the middle of a heated debate...:yesnod: (for their first impression of a wiichat thread)

I agree, first impressions do count. That's where the fish get hooked. All I'm saying is that a lot of people in the past (not just this site) say, "Hi and welcome!!!" in reply to every freaking thread, then later on say something annoying or obtrusive such as, "Haha ive been here for 3 months and i already have more than u and u been here a year!"

I admit that if you added up all my welcomes and averaged them over the past 20 months or so, it would probably be about 2 welcomes a month. I don't do it often, but when I do, it's usually a very warm one and informational as well (i.e. genuine).

F.Y.I. In case you didn't know, I'm not talking directly at you.

Prinny you have posted a lot of welcomes in the past just like the following...
i dont' think the following pics are welcoming... or any better than a copy/paste cookie cutter... or even interesting... it's just gross:
(there has been many more gross ones throughout distant past welcome threads)

[PICS REMOVED]

Last edited:
I dont think that CantGetAWii was directing his concern at you, idjut. But your welcome doesn't always work, not everyone who comes to WiiChat has a Wii. Some people only have an Xbox or PS3 and have no intention of buying a Wii (odd but true). So inviting Wii-less people to Yay I Love My Wii, How About You? Happy Owners Post Here... doesn't always work...

Idjut, leave Darkprinny alone. He's been posting welcome messages for ages (despite the short break), and all of his welcomes are new and genuine. When I came to WiiChat, I preferred Darkprinny's greetings to the generic ones which were in every welcome thread, (ie your welcomes). He's got the damn mushroom for a reason.

I'm for removing post count uppage in the Welcome section, which is a shame for those who actually try to make members feel welcome.

AndThen? said:
Idjut, leave Darkprinny alone. He's been posting welcome messages for ages (despite the short break), and all of his welcomes are new and genuine. When I came to WiiChat, I preferred Darkprinny's greetings to the generic ones which were in every welcome thread, (ie your welcomes). He's got the damn mushroom for a reason.

I'm for removing post count uppage in the Welcome section, which is a shame for those who actually try to make members feel welcome.

And who are you? Leave idjut alone, shes right for the most part. (cept the third one, thats ones not bad)

Subarnu said:
...inviting Wii-less people ... doesn't always work...
i'm sorry to hear that happened... i read their posts and hand-type additional things if they ask questions. i must have overlooked wording for that post.

please note: CantGetAWii and i are not agruing... we've touched base outside of this thread

lol I don't know about you but I laughed when I saw them (cept the second) I mean sure they may not be appropriate for a introduction but you can tell he was joking.

EDIT: Okay

Back