General good and bad points about Nintendo's strategy...

Mr Jimsmit said:
I think third party developers are hung up on the risks of the Wii, they need to see how much of a success it is actually going to be before they really start development, and the graphics seem to play a large part in these risks, but when they see that it's a success, they'll go straight for it.

Jim is right on the money. As unfortunate as it may be, 3rd party developers are not willing to take a ton of risks until they see a little success role in. ;)

Thanks everyone! Think I more-or-less sinthetised the main issues which have been inside my head through these months... I could've put a larger weight in the Third Party category... there's so many more things to be explored here. So many issues. Subcategories and stuff...

chris71124 said:
Good Find. Keep up the good posting. This article makes many good points!!

Good FIND !? What do you mean by that ? Did it myself to sinthetise my general beliefs and doubts concerning the new system as a whole. No "find" here. :)

Last edited:
Other things I'm concerned about regards on how resistant (or not?) is The Wiimote. Since we're going to have soooo many brutal, fast moves going on, the thing could be very easily broken into small pieces once our hand fails to hold it while playing a "violent" (moves-wise) and fast wii sports tennis match. I'm really concerned with that. Other than that, i'm also concerned about having to buy a new controller specially designed to make the experience of playing the virtual console games more realistic. Shouldn't the Wiimote + nunchak be enough for the experience? Or more: shouldn't the wiimore turned to a classic Nes-like position be enough for a satisfying old school match??? I don't really understand it. I should not need an extra expense on the shotgun attachment or the special joystick for Nintendo's retro games gallery. The wiimote should be enough imo. If not, so why the big N is always saying on how easy the wiimote could be transformed into a nes-like controller by simply turning it to the mentioned controller's classic horizontal position? I didn't quite get this point 'il now...

I'm gonna redo/write the positive points I'm expecting Nintendo to deliver in order to definively stay on top again:

1. Totally free-and-reliable pack-off-and-play online gameplay;

2. A great launch game line-up;

3. Responsive (without noticeable lag or any kind of slow reaction/visual/graphical representation to the moves done) controls/gameplay;

4. An intelligent final/definitive sthetical solution/decision to whaever the problems they might be passing through on the development process of the hardware (Wii, wiimote, etc...);

5. A comercial (competitive when comparing the system's technical features to the other ones available) low-budged price;

6. Other innovative features (as the ones being especulated right now - e.g. a built-in camera and it's possible/viable usages...);

7. An efficient anti-scretches DvD drive system (as the one recently shown on video by Mr. Myamoto himself - or even better...);

8. Nice (as the ones shown/promised on trailers - or even better) graphics and sounds;

9. A resistant controller/general product to stand the test of time (and the abrupt/fast movies and possible fall downs too...);

10. Low-priced/budged fun old school possibilities through the Virtual Console feature (including, maybe, even online matches combining old school mechanisms and nice online options!...);

11. That's it. Maybe way too much, but rather satisfying, none-the-less!.

:)

Go Nintendo, GO!!! It's SHOWTIME! (damnit!) ;)

Last edited:
Other things I'm concerned about regards on how resistant (or not?) is The Wiimote. Since we're going to have soooo many brutal, fast moves going on, the thing could be very easily broken into small pieces once our hand fails to hold it while playing a "violent" (moves-wise) and fast wii sports tennis match. I'm really concerned with that.

I cant find the picture but I'm sure there's a strap that you can put around your wrist ;)

^-- never seen the strap (doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just a comment)

I don't see the resilience (pretty sure thats the word you meant, or maybe add in 'impact resistant') of the controller being an issue, nintendo does good hardware. period. all of my controllers have suffered many bumps in the past and all still work fine, so i'm not particularly worried about it.

now if you go for a backhand in tennis and the wiimote slips I would be fearful for my tv's life thats for sure!

as for the vc controller it makes a lot of sense mostly because with the innovation of the wiimote and nintendo's "simplification for everyone" strategy there simply aren't enough buttons on the wiimote to cover the old games (and there's no way there gonna want to go back and reprogram all the games to support the wiimote interface)

actually, now that i think about it the vc controller is gonna be difficult to play non-nintendo games with bc the sega games had six front buttons, not four meaning that two of them will get regulated to the shoulder buttons prolly

phimuajedi69 said:
^-- never seen the strap (doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just a comment)

I don't see the resilience (pretty sure thats the word you meant, or maybe add in 'impact resistant') of the controller being an issue, nintendo does good hardware. period. all of my controllers have suffered many bumps in the past and all still work fine, so i'm not particularly worried about it.

now if you go for a backhand in tennis and the wiimote slips I would be fearful for my tv's life thats for sure!

as for the vc controller it makes a lot of sense mostly because with the innovation of the wiimote and nintendo's "simplification for everyone" strategy there simply aren't enough buttons on the wiimote to cover the old games (and there's no way there gonna want to go back and reprogram all the games to support the wiimote interface)

actually, now that i think about it the vc controller is gonna be difficult to play non-nintendo games with bc the sega games had six front buttons, not four meaning that two of them will get regulated to the shoulder buttons prolly

Yeah, you got it right. :)

Hey phimuajedi69, you can see something similar to a strap at this year's E3 Nintendo conference video on ign.com. There's something right there in terms of a security mechanism. I really hope so, 'cause I'd not want to see my Wiimote crashing directly into the wall, getting destroyed into pieces of small/advanced eletronic devices. I'd hate it. I'd get depressed actually.

Taero - I really hope you're right here. Nintendo, let the strap stay together with the console... for our money's sake... for "bucks' security"... :p

hate to digress from good meaningful conversation, but i just can't resist:

there's always duct tape! it fixes everything, if there is no strap all the violently moving gamers can secure the wiimote with one foot long strip per gaming session!

anyway, my redneck had to come out for a moment....though i do see it as a potential problem i believe it much more likely that the system will react well (and possibly better) to more controlled movements thus eliminating some of the problem, however there is always the 'heat of the moment'....

Back