getting my wii online

lerkeo

WiiChat Member
Dec 12, 2007
uk
Wii Online Code
5669-5669-5669-5669
hi all i'm after some info , my pc is upstairs on cable not wireless and my wii is downstairs , is there anyway i can connect my wii to the internet without going wireless or by using a long cable to connect to my pc . i was told that i can buy something to put in the usb port at the back of my wii , download some software on my pc , making my pc talk to my wii making me able to go on line with my wii . is this true if so what do i need and can this be done .. many thanks , ( i wish things were more easy ) a confusied wii person

Yeah you can buy a USB Lan Adapter and a really long Broadband cable and connect that way. Also I think you may need a router if you dont already have one so you can connect to the internet with your PC and Wii simultaneously.

download some software on my pc , making my pc talk to my wii making me able to go on line with my wii

This part isnt really needed. Just get the stuff listed above and youll be fine

i didnt really want to use a long piece of cable is there any other way than that way

Well first of all, if you don't want to use wireless, you have to get the USB Lan adapter for your Wii. That's step 1.

Next, if you don't want to run a long cable, you don't have many options. This might work, but I can't vouch for it. I've never used it:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters/HDX101.aspx
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122168

Finally, you'll need a router at the other end so you can share your internet connection between your existing PC and now the Wii. With the router, you don't need to install or configure anything on the PC to allow the Wii to get online. The PC doesn't even have to be on.

thanks for the information sremick ..........

well I get online with my wii and I don't have a computer @ my house....I jus get the connection from my friends house which is only 100 feet away and it works perfectly:)

There is a usb connecter...but Wireless Is the cheapest way. At Walmart they have $40 dollar Wireless boxes. They are really easy to setup, they work perfectly, and they are cheaper than buying the usb adapter and the really long ethernet cord.

lerkeo said:
is there anyway i can connect my wii to the internet without going wireless or by using a long cable to connect to my pc .

u have to pick one... wired or wireless...

purchase list:

wireless router
(sets up a wireless internet connection for any wireless device)

or
wired router
a lot of CAT5 cable
RJ45 ethernet ends
RJ45 crimper
USB LAN adapter
(a lot of work, isnt bad if u know what you're doing, i've done it enough)

or
USB WIFI adapter
(plugs into your computer and sets up a wireless internet connection for just your Wii and DS (maybe, never messed with it), computer must on for it to work)

thanks for all the info cheers ....

Back