GH 3 question

sh0ebox said:
actually no, they didn't change it. the notes without the black ring around the white circle (a.k.a. glowing white top) have always been hammer-ons/pull-offs (meaning they can be played by just tapping the colored fret, saving you from having to strum the note as well). what you're describing as star power notes are indeed the notes that are not circular, but star-like in shape.

it has been this way through all three games in the series.

I'm fairly certain that there were no star shaped notes in GHI or II but i haven't played either in a while. The HO/PO notes never "glowed" in the previous titles. you just sort of had to judge by how fast the notes were moving. but the star power notes you had to nail did infact glow.

Moose said:
All this should be in your manual...why didn't you check there first?

Boy I guess all of you should have read the manual... LOL

Glad I asked>>>

Moose said:
Seriously? They changed it? I don't own GHIII for good reason.

Another reason why i will refuse to buy it. Neversoft and Activision have pretty much ruined it for me. tis a shame.

Do you really think the change was that upsetting? Because I've had friends who have played the previous versions still feel right at home with GH3, only minor cosmetic changes.

Or at least, I've never seen anything remotely resembling a change that would have "pretty much ruined it" for anybody. What's your beef?

AoWFraggit said:
those are called hammer ons and pull offs. in short, they can be played without strumming by just pressing the frets. check the in game tutorial for more details.

No way. Lol. Wow >_> I didn't know that! Thanks guys. Lol

vi3tmix said:
Do you really think the change was that upsetting? Because I've had friends who have played the previous versions still feel right at home with GH3, only minor cosmetic changes.

Or at least, I've never seen anything remotely resembling a change that would have "pretty much ruined it" for anybody. What's your beef?

The song choices i think are pretty crappy. There are really good songs on there, but the bad pretty much out weigh the good for me.

What i mentioned earlier didn't upset me enough to not buy it. In fact, i didn't even know they changed that until now. It is a minor change that really doesn't change the way the game is played, just the way it's presented. i don't really have a problem with that. But the fact that they changed something that worked REALLY WELL is unsettling.

The introduction of Boss battles i think is just totally stupid. Seriously? having a guitar duel with Slash and Tom?

But the biggest beef i have with it is the introduction of the battle system where the soul purpose is to screw up the guy next to you. The old battle system (Which is still on there i believe) was perfect. the person who nailed the most notes, with the highest multiplier consistently and scored the highest (although somtimes that was not the case) won. Pretty simple. Whoever was the better "musician" won.

The new battle system is biggest beef i have with the game. it's changed the multiplayer from "whoever has mastered the song, wins" to "whoever masteres the first 15 seconds, and unleasheshs all of their screw up deals (i forget what they are called), wins". To me, it just takes away from the original intention of the game.

I know i don't have to play these modes, and after playing the songs i don't like once, i don't have to ever play them again, but whats the point of paying 80+ dollars for a game that i don't even like almost everything on there? Waste of my money.

The introduction of Boss battles i think is just totally stupid. Seriously? having a guitar duel with Slash and Tom?

But the biggest beef i have with it is the introduction of the battle system where the soul purpose is to screw up the guy next to you. The old battle system (Which is still on there i believe) was perfect. the person who nailed the most notes, with the highest multiplier consistently and scored the highest (although somtimes that was not the case) won. Pretty simple. Whoever was the better "musician" won.

Also understand that it's not the only battle mode. There are actually 4 online multiplayer modes, and the mode you mentioned is probably my least-played mode. The way I see it, Pro-Faceoff (which is the battle mode of old games you've described) is still the more popular option for multiplayer play not just for me, but in general.

I also could have sworn it was introduced in GH2, but I guess it's my mistake...

I know i don't have to play these modes, and after playing the songs i don't like once, i don't have to ever play them again, but whats the point of paying 80+ dollars for a game that i don't even like almost everything on there? Waste of my money.

So be it, I agree. If you didn't like the sound track list alone, it's cool. I personally liked the song list far more than I though I would, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Pro-Face off was introduced in 2, boss battles and the newer battle mode is new for 3.

And i'm glad Pro-face off is still the top choice. Perhaps GHIV will revive the series for me. Until then, Rock Band it shall be.

Hahaha, true. I just recently got a 360 though.

Also, rep for you for knowing how to have a discussion. people on here now a days just flame you for having a different opinion

Moose said:
The song choices i think are pretty crappy. There are really good songs on there, but the bad pretty much out weigh the good for me.

What i mentioned earlier didn't upset me enough to not buy it. In fact, i didn't even know they changed that until now. It is a minor change that really doesn't change the way the game is played, just the way it's presented. i don't really have a problem with that. But the fact that they changed something that worked REALLY WELL is unsettling.

The new battle system is biggest beef i have with the game. it's changed the multiplayer from "whoever has mastered the song, wins" to "whoever masteres the first 15 seconds, and unleasheshs all of their screw up deals (i forget what they are called), wins". To me, it just takes away from the original intention of the game.

Yeah, that's so true. I hate the battle mode. I only play pro-faceoff. Even just faceoff kinda confuses me because it just 'cuts' the rhythm and I just keep making mistakes.
Really I don't see the point of that battle with aka screw up deals..(i dont know the name either!!)
Man, you got the point.

And I don't know if it's just me, but I don't like most of the bonus songs. Furthermore it's so sad that Wii GH3 doesn't have download feature due to Wii's lack of memory...

If your really good you can try them they're called "strums" but if you aren't than just stick to the fret button, alot easier.:wink:

Back