GI interview Mortal Kombat co-creator Ed Boon

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
Since it was officially announced last week that Mortal Kombat Armageddon will be making its way to the Wii there has been much speculation over the features and use it will make of the Wii controller. Much gossip and debate has ensued over such topics as 'Will it have motion sensing fatalities' and what not that Ed Boon (co-developer of the series) has taken time out of his busy dev schedule to answer some questions for the guys over at gameinformer.com.

Here's the passage from the gameinformer interview with Ed Boon:

------------------------------------------

Game Informer: Let’s get this out of the way first thing – Will Mortal Kombat: Armageddon utilize the Wii remote for some kind of motion control or will it focus on the traditional controller?

Ed Boon: Without a doubt, I would love to use the Wii remote in MK: Armageddon. Obviously, a million ideas come to mind but I would much rather come up with a new fighting mechanic and/or perspective (that could take FULL advantage of that unique controller) rather than to shoe horn the controller into a fighting scheme that was originally made for the standard controller we’ve been using for so many years. Unfortunately, time is an issue and we don’t have time to redesign the fighting system from the ground up.

GI: Will the Wii version look any better than the current-gen versions?

Boon: I think if there are new tricks that the Wii hardware can do in displaying our characters and backgrounds, then we will certainly try to use them in making Armageddon look as good as it can. But to me the most important aspect of this version I want to concentrate on is the game play and what innovations we can add using the new controller.

GI: Any additional characters or features?

Boon: With over 60 characters, I don’t think there will be a feeling that we are lacking in that department. However, if we are going to be using the new controller then we definitely want to add a new feature to showcase it.

GI: Any plans to utilize Nintendo’s WiiConnect24 for downloadable content?

Boon: Probably not this time around, but it’s certainly a probability for any future MK games.

GI: Will you utilize the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection for online play?

Boon: I don’t know yet. We don’t have a lot of information about Nintendo’s online plans so its hard to give a very definitive answer as far as online is concerned.

GI: Does this open the door to a Virtual Console relationship for classic Mortal Kombat titles?Boon: If you mean, is there a chance that a classic MK title might appear on the Wii, that would be great. I would love to see that happen.

------------------------------------------

Although not going into any specifics, it certainly sounds like the dev team are really making a big push for features to maximise the wiimote and really use its new creativity to set this MK edition above the rest.

source: http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200608/N06.0807.1112.22861.htm

This is going to be a little weird with the Wiimote. We have to wait and see how it plays out. Hope the fatalities are fun to watch.

Back