Good games for first time onliner

kramer840

WiiChat Member
Apr 8, 2009
howdy! i've had my wii since last august, but want to try out my first game with online playing capabilities. i'm not going to buy anything yet. i'm going to rent it from blockbuster to see if i like it before spending upwards of $60 for a game and any hardware it may require. what would the experts here recommend for getting my feet wet? and does mario kart require use of the steering wheel to play, or can you just turn the controller sideways like when you're playing NES VC games?

If you want good online, avoid Brawl. (If anybody suggests Brawl to this guy I'll kick you in the teeth).

I'd say, go for Mario Kart Wii.

do you have to get the steering wheel to play mario kart? and do you have any opinion on the EA games (madden, tiger, etc.)?

Havent played EA games on the Wii. I had some Madden on my PS2 so I wouldn't know.

And you don't need the steering wheel. It's just for looks really.

do you have to get the steering wheel to play mario kart? and do you have any opinion on the EA games (madden, tiger, etc.)?

Yes you need the steering wheel. If you rent it i don't know if they give it to you with the game, it comes with the game if you buy it. Use https://www.gamefly.com to rent games.
No comment on EA games.

Love Mario kart, great game! Try it!

Yes you need the steering wheel.

Have you even played Mario Kart before?
The wheel does nothing, it's just an accessory.

I recommend just using the wiimote nunchuck combo. It allows for a lot more control. And yes, I would say mario kart is the best game to try out the wii's online with.

Have you even played Mario Kart before?
The wheel does nothing, it's just an accessory.

I recommend just using the wiimote nunchuck combo. It allows for a lot more control. And yes, I would say mario kart is the best game to try out the wii's online with.
when i play at my friends house i only use the wii wheel its sweet imo. when i get mario kart later this week thats all im using =]

i went and got mario kart over the weekend. my son and i both enjoy it. i did have a couple questions though. when it shows the people i'll race against online, it says i'm from the US, but puts me in the caribbean, as opposed to SoCal, where i live. how do i get that changed? and no matter who i pick to race with, at the start line, i can never get off the line fast and am constantly racing from behind. is there a character or car or timing of when to hit the gas to make me start better?

I think you can change your region on the license select screen. Click on settings in the top right, nintendo WFC, then region.

As for starting off slow, you need to time your button pressing just right so you can get a short boost. Hold the gas button down just after the bell for the number 2 dings. If you want a faster vehicle for playing online, you'll need to unlock it by playing offline, at least through the 100cc tracks.

Back