Google Chrome OS

I'm looking forward to trying out this operating system. I'm duel booting Vista and Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop and I'm using Windows 7 on my desktop.

But I'm going to agree with one of the people in the article, this OS really is being overhyped. Google hasn't really had many major successes besides their search engine. From what I have read, it will be available for netbooks. Whether or not they will have an .iso isn't known. The Google Chrome OS will, in my eyes, be more popular among computer novices as a free alternative to Windows as Linux distributions have a reputation (one that it doesn't really deserve) to be incredibly difficult to use. Google is well known and trusted.

These are just my speculations. I'm not going to get too excited.

I know that this is an old thread, but I can't resist. Do you people realize that the Chrome "OS" is nothing more than a Linux distribution with a custom windowing system that prevents you from doing anything besides use the web browser? The entire thing is absurd, and every aspect of it goes against the goals that they claim.

Google said:
lightweight
In the size sense, HTML and other web technologies are naturally very verbose. In the speed sense...

Google said:
They require ridiculously more processing than native binaries.

Google said:
simplicity
They're far more complex than native binaries.

Google said:
Networking is inherently insecure.

And it's all only made more absurd by the fact that they're targeting the weakest machines for their "OS" (calling it that makes me laugh) that requires much more processing power to do anything.

Since everyone is mentioning what operating system they'll be going with...I'll keep using various Unices until I tire of monolithic shite, write some drivers for my hardware, and switch to Minix 3 exclusively. :)

The thread isnt that old
Besides the site owner docent seem to care about old threads getting bumped up

On topic

Google chrome is nice compared to Fire foxes memory raping.

Google chrome is nice compared to Fire foxes memory raping.

Isn't everything?

*resists ranting about FireFox's fundamentally flawed design*

well, then again, (nice resist btw), how else can i hack into everybody's stuff using anything but good ol' firefox!? I mean, they have such a flawful secruity, and it's fun to do some hacking every now and again. :yesnod:

how else can i hack into everybody's stuff using anything but good ol' firefox!?
You can access my data through ELinks running in a jail with ECMAScript disabled? ;)

The relative security of FireFox is mostly from the open source model. (well, that and the abomination that skews the comparison :p) Though if you can't find an exploitable bug in the...What is it now, 15,000,000 SLOC in Gecko?...Then you must be stoned. :)

BoZ94 said:
it's fun to do some hacking every now and again.
Where's the fun in attacking people who know nothing about security and have poorly configured systems with nothing valuable on them? RE is where it's at. ;)

how else can i hack into everybody's stuff using anything but good ol' firefox!?
You can access my data through ELinks running in a jail with ECMAScript disabled? ;)

The relative security of FireFox is mostly from the open source model. (well, that and the abomination that skews the comparison :p) Though if you can't find an exploitable bug in the...What is it now, 15,000,000 SLOC in Gecko?...Then you must be stoned. :)

BoZ94 said:
it's fun to do some hacking every now and again.
Where's the fun in attacking people who know nothing about security and have poorly configured systems with nothing valuable on them? RE is where it's at. ;)

lmao! i have the oldest version of firefox, so that way, none of these secruity updates r effective to me. i mainly do it just for the funz, but still.. I'd tell you what i'm about to do, but it would cause a shock to everyone here, and we don't want that, do we? :lol: not only do i do stuff here, but try facebook, ebay, myspace, and sometimes a bank. (i actually cracked one man's account at a trustmark bank, but since it would hurt me to do any damage, i just wanted to see how i would do. :)

i personally like google and what they do, but i hear the chrome OS is supposed to be linux based? i think that all linux based OS in the past have pretty much failed. hopefully they can do better. I approve :)

Since it got bumped, I'm gonna have to say that I don't much care for this idea. Mainly because I switched to Chrome for awhile...and now I'm back to Firefox despite the memory rape. I hated Chrome.

Back