Gosh, There Sure Are a Lot of Peripherals/Controllers for the Wii

selowitch

WiiChat Member
May 17, 2007
The Wii is supposed to be cheaper than the PS3 and the Xbox 360. But in order to fully leverage the Wii experience, you need 2-4 wiimotes, 2-4 nunchuks, 2-4 gamecube controllers and 2-4 classic controllers, to say nothing of faceplates, chargers, fans, LAN adapters, etc. This could cost you a fortune!

Welcome to wiichat and enjoy your stay. Happy gaming.
All the extra accessories are optional and are not necessary unless you plan to play with friends.

@selowitch: You might have misunderstood, you don't need to have 2-4 controllers to play the Wii. You can play many games with 1 controller (LOZ: TP). Now, if you have many controllers, then that opens up possibilities, then you could play multiplayer games. If you still had a GC, then you could use your GC controller for the VC games. You don't need the classic controller to play VC games. Cheers.

FR. said:
@selowitch: You might have misunderstood, you don't need to have 2-4 controllers to play the Wii. You can play many games with 1 controller
I said "to *fully* leverage"; of course I recognize the thing will function with one controller. It's just that I'm old enough to remember a time when the Atari 2600 and the Odyssey came with two controllers, as did certain others.

Now, when I was a solitary loser, one controller would have been fine. ;)
But now I have a nine-year-old son, and he has a social life, unlike his Pops, LOL.
FR. said:
You don't need the classic controller to play VC games. Cheers.
Aren't there some games that require the classic controller? I think there are. This is a point of confusion for me.

when you buy the games, it will tell you which ones will work. Only a select few will be ONLY on the classic.

If you have a GameCube controller, the classic controller is not required. VC games from the Super Nintendo and other such systems (those with more than two buttons) can all be played using a GC controller.

That aside,
Wii w/Wii sports, Wiimote & Nunchuk - 250
Wiimote x 3 - 120
Nunchuck x 3 - 60
2gb sd card (Microcenter) - 30

Total - 460

PS3, one cotroller, Blueray movie - 600
PS3 controller - 40

Total - 640
Unless you want to actually use the HD capacity then add

HD cables - 60

Total - 700

Oh, and you don't have a game yet. But you DO have a copy of "Taledega Nights, the saga of Ricky Bobby" A Will Ferral movie about NASCAR... Lucky Lucky YOU!

So, a game, any game - 60

PS3 total - 760 + the cost of psychiatric counseling after watching the free movie.

So, For $460 you can get a fully loaded Wii, with everything to entertain 4 people all day long.

Or, for $300 dollars more, you can get everything to make the PS3 fully functional, and have the ability to entertain 2 people. And watch blueray movies, the Betamax of HD DVD.

Which do you choose?

TiwazTyrsfist said:
So, For $460 you can get a fully loaded Wii, with everything to entertain 4 people all day long.

Or, for $300 dollars more, you can get everything to make the PS3 fully functional, and have the ability to entertain 2 people. And watch blueray movies, the Betamax of HD DVD.

Which do you choose?
Nicely put. That does put things in perspective. The Wii is a clear winner there. Why does anyone give a frak about Blu-ray anyway? It's still just movies and television.

Last edited:
It's supposed to be "the future" of watching movies. It's like HD, but 2x better. Personally, I see no need for it, just a wasted add-on.

Back