Got VirtuaTennis 2009 Today!

Well I got Grand Slam, and with MotionPlus I'd say it's pretty accurate, and it proves for a fun game.

Don't get me started on Tiger Woods '10 though... Wow that game is amazing.

Would you say TW '10 is worth a buy if you already have '09? I mean, doesn't '09 pretty much have a 1:1 swing also?

Yeah, it's definitely worth a purchase IMO. '09 didn't have an exact 1:1 swing, but '10 absolutely nails it. And Disc Golf is awesome.

Yeah, it's definitely worth a purchase IMO. '09 didn't have an exact 1:1 swing, but '10 absolutely nails it. And Disc Golf is awesome.

Can you please provide a quick review of TW10 cuz some people are debating whether to get it or wait for the WiiSports Resort Golf version? Thanks!

I know at least one or two people on this thread got Grand Slam Tennis. Can you tell me if you're having the same problem?

Basically... my player keeps wanting to go to the opposite side (for groundstrokes) that they should. The game is pretty much unplayable because of this. Half the time he either misses the shot, or it goes the wrong way. Also, EVERY time I try a cross-court shot, it goes out.

Every shot I make is wildly exaggerated in terms of slice or spin. It seems there is no margin for error on the WMP control. There is very little in this game that is like actual tennis, at least based on my experience.

I want to like this game, but I'm having trouble. :)

Rob

I know at least one or two people on this thread got Grand Slam Tennis. Can you tell me if you're having the same problem?

Basically... my player keeps wanting to go to the opposite side (for groundstrokes) that they should. The game is pretty much unplayable because of this. Half the time he either misses the shot, or it goes the wrong way. Also, EVERY time I try a cross-court shot, it goes out.

Every shot I make is wildly exaggerated in terms of slice or spin. It seems there is no margin for error on the WMP control. There is very little in this game that is like actual tennis, at least based on my experience.

I want to like this game, but I'm having trouble. :)

Rob

How does motion plus compare in VT2009 and GST? It sounds like you think that VT2009 plays a more natural game than GST.

Bozon from IGN seemed to indicate that GST was better than VT2009 but as they haven't got a review up yet I'm reluctant to make a choice based on that.

I haven't tried GST without WMP; I suppose I should... it might actually be better. ;)

After trying to play more VT today, I've concluded that they BOTH suck. VT, while worlds better than GST (IMO), still can't hold a candle to WiiSports Tennis in terms of realism of actual play. The VT character does pretty much what it wants, when it wants, regardless of how I swing the "racket." I can swing it as a backhand, and the character will do a forehand. I can swing to go cross-court, and the computer will send it down the line. I can try an overhead smash, and it does a drop shot. All of these happened in the last ten minutes. I finally powered off the Wii before I broke something.

Both of these are going on eBay next week.

Rob

I haven't tried GST without WMP; I suppose I should... it might actually be better. ;)

After trying to play more VT today, I've concluded that they BOTH suck. VT, while worlds better than GST (IMO), still can't hold a candle to WiiSports Tennis in terms of realism of actual play. The VT character does pretty much what it wants, when it wants, regardless of how I swing the "racket." I can swing it as a backhand, and the character will do a forehand. I can swing to go cross-court, and the computer will send it down the line. I can try an overhead smash, and it does a drop shot. All of these happened in the last ten minutes. I finally powered off the Wii before I broke something.

Both of these are going on eBay next week.

Rob

It seems like your the only one who's having serious problems w/ this. Are you sure everything is set up properly? Maybe your WMP is defective. You should exchange it for another one.

yea i have found VT with WMP + works very well. i am able to pretty much hit where I want it to go every time. make sure u posstion ur player right or else u will have problems with him doin the wrong swing.

So how do you "position" the player?? Mine seems to go wherever the heck he wants... in some cases he will stand completely still. More than once, while receiving serve, he has darted off in the opposite direction of the ball, and missed it.

I bought two WMP's. I tried the other one and it did the same thing. Right now, both have been repackaged for return tomorrow. I still think VT is the better game between the two, but WMP itself appears to be a joke, at least as far as tennis games go.

Rob

So how do you "position" the player?? Mine seems to go wherever the heck he wants... in some cases he will stand completely still. More than once, while receiving serve, he has darted off in the opposite direction of the ball, and missed it.

I bought two WMP's. I tried the other one and it did the same thing. Right now, both have been repackaged for return tomorrow. I still think VT is the better game between the two, but WMP itself appears to be a joke, at least as far as tennis games go.

Rob

Do you have the nunchuk to control the players? If you don't then maybe you should get used to that 1st. See if that works before you return it.

I realized that Gamestop had charged me $25 ea on the WMP's when Wal Mart, Amazon and other places had 'em for $19. So I went ahead and returned them, BUT, while there, I picked up the Tiger Woods PGA 10 bundle that has one included. I'll see about picking up some others at the cheaper price later after I figure stuff out.

Tiger Woods is quite good. I've never been a golfer, but this is pretty neat. My dad will like it when he comes to visit later this month.

I do have a Nunchuck; I'll have to try it again. I may need the wireless model, as the cord always gets in the way.

Rob

Back again. Tried the Nunchuck. It kinda helps, but I definitely need the wireless model. I kept getting tangled up. Still, the joystick only helped so much, as many times, even though I would be trying to move the player around, he'd just stand there like an idiot.

I also discovered that (stupidly), the player moves based on how you tilt the remote when you're not swinging it. This is VERY annoying, especially since there's no mention of it in the instructions. I was under the assumption that the computer would move the player for you UNLESS you used the Nunchuck. This is enormously lame, because the act of swinging will also cause the player to move, if you happen to be tilting it just the right way. This is how I've missed receiving serves several times.

And serves... all of a sudden I can't serve anymore. Every single one of them goes into the opposite service box, just barely inside the center line. This seems to happen no matter which way I hold the remote. VT seems to assume the racket face is parallel with the control face of the remote -- i.e. if you held the remote so the buttons faced the ceiling, the face of the racket would be doing the same. GST and WiiSports do it 90 degrees differently (which is the better approach, IMO).

I need to go try GST again and this time use the Nunchuck and see how well it works with it.

Rob

Back again. Tried the Nunchuck. It kinda helps, but I definitely need the wireless model. I kept getting tangled up. Still, the joystick only helped so much, as many times, even though I would be trying to move the player around, he'd just stand there like an idiot.

I also discovered that (stupidly), the player moves based on how you tilt the remote when you're not swinging it. This is VERY annoying, especially since there's no mention of it in the instructions. I was under the assumption that the computer would move the player for you UNLESS you used the Nunchuck. This is enormously lame, because the act of swinging will also cause the player to move, if you happen to be tilting it just the right way. This is how I've missed receiving serves several times.

And serves... all of a sudden I can't serve anymore. Every single one of them goes into the opposite service box, just barely inside the center line. This seems to happen no matter which way I hold the remote. VT seems to assume the racket face is parallel with the control face of the remote -- i.e. if you held the remote so the buttons faced the ceiling, the face of the racket would be doing the same. GST and WiiSports do it 90 degrees differently (which is the better approach, IMO).

I need to go try GST again and this time use the Nunchuck and see how well it works with it.

Rob

I dont think the current wireless nunchuk works w/ it but maybe a newer version will work soon.

Yeah ya know, I was just thinking that. I went to eBay to look for one, and noticed the adapter that plugs into the WiiMote may not connect to the WiiMotion Plus. Hmmm.

BTW I tried GST with the Nunchuck. It was worthless. About all it did was prevent your player from moving at all. I mean, he did move at times, but there was major lag from when you'd, say, run cross-court, hit a shot, move the stick hard the other direction to run back across, and dumb$h!t would just stand there instead.

I gotta say, though, that GST's graphics are really neat. They may be cartoonish, but the player motions and movements are cool, especially between points. My player finished a point, dropped his racket, and knelt down to tie a shoe... that was neat.

I haven't given up yet; there must be a way to make this work, for at least one, if not both of them.

The lazy side of me wants VT and TWPGA10 for the PS3 too -- for when I don't feel like "actively" playing. ;)

Rob

Yeah ya know, I was just thinking that. I went to eBay to look for one, and noticed the adapter that plugs into the WiiMote may not connect to the WiiMotion Plus. Hmmm.

BTW I tried GST with the Nunchuck. It was worthless. About all it did was prevent your player from moving at all. I mean, he did move at times, but there was major lag from when you'd, say, run cross-court, hit a shot, move the stick hard the other direction to run back across, and dumb$h!t would just stand there instead.

I gotta say, though, that GST's graphics are really neat. They may be cartoonish, but the player motions and movements are cool, especially between points. My player finished a point, dropped his racket, and knelt down to tie a shoe... that was neat.

I haven't given up yet; there must be a way to make this work, for at least one, if not both of them.

The lazy side of me wants VT and TWPGA10 for the PS3 too -- for when I don't feel like "actively" playing. ;)

Rob

It usually takes awhile to get used to the motion controls. It took me awhile to get good at Mario Kart w/ the wheel, Okami w/ the paint brush, SSX Blur w/ the tricks, Boom Blox w/ the jenga like mini-game, etc. Once you get used to it, you wouldn't want to go back to the old way anymore.

Back