Graphics In Console Wars

D Twizzle

Lovin' The Wii
Aug 16, 2006
Nottingham, England
Wii Online Code
0130-2935-1724-6313
I keep on seeing these guys going on and on about graphics, but if i'm not mistaken the most powerful machine has never won a console/handheld war.

Megadrive outsold the Snes
Nes Outsold The Mastersystem
PS2 outsold both Xbox and Gamecube
DS is outselling the PSP
GBA outsold the N-gage
Playstation 1 outsold the N64
The original Gameboy outsold both the Lynx and Game Gear.

Maybe this was why Nintendo chose not to up the Wii specs?

the snes outsold the megadrive(sega genesis in america)
in the americas they were almost even,but the snes came up with some numbers at the end.in japan was a no contest.

if that was a fact then the sega dreamcast should be the winner of the last gen,but in this case the less poweful system does not have a year advantage over the competition and its head to head with the powerful ones.

Link_ said:
the snes outsold the megadrive(sega genesis in america)
in the americas they were almost even,but the snes came up with some numbers at the end.in japan was a no contest.
I always thought that but was told other wise. I must have been told wrong.

D Twizzle said:
I keep on seeing these guys going on and on about graphics, but if i'm not mistaken the most powerful machine has never won a console/handheld war.

Megadrive outsold the Snes
Nes Outsold The Mastersystem
PS2 outsold both Xbox and Gamecube
DS is outselling the PSP
GBA outsold the N-gage
Playstation 1 outsold the N64
The original Gameboy outsold both the Lynx and Game Gear.

Maybe this was why Nintendo chose not to up the Wii specs?

The systems you are comparing have marginal difference in terms of graphics (except for DS and PSP). However, the difference between Wii and 360 & PS3 is nothing but marginal.

Graphically speaking, Wii has slightly better graphics than PS2 and slightly worse graphics than Xbox 1 by looking at the launch titles. Dead of Alive for Xbox (launch title back in 2001) looks superior than any Wii games that are out so far. Tell me how much better Wii games look compared to a GameCube launch title from 2001, Rogue Leader.

In case of Far Cry Vegeance for Wii, it should be compared against an N64 game. Comparable to Golden Eye or Turok for N64.

IMHO, Nintendo made a terrible mistake for not going at least 720p with Wii. They should have drastically improved graphics over GameCube that they are replacing. Once the novelty of Wii remote wears off, you'll get tired of waiting for the next big first party game which will be far and in between just like the N64 and GameCube days.

Third party multiplatform games will look so terrible compared to 360 and PS3, you might as well pickup a GameCube version of the same game.

Don't mention "gameplay over graphics". Tell me how Red Steel, Far Cry Vengeance and Call of Duty 3's gameplay is so much better than that of Halo 2, Gears of War or Resistance. Similar gameplay could have been achieved with an analog stick and a souped up light gun.

Hold up ddslee! All I have to say is that everyone is talking about graphics and the system (wii) haven't been out that long. I HAVE A XBOX 360 and trust me everyone will agree the ONLY game that made this system survive is Oblivion. The fact is we had to wait a whole year( gears of war) to show what the system can do. Everything PS3 and Xbox360 has to offer is FPS games and trust this is a fad; remember survivial horrors. And another thing if the developers put as much energy into all systems instead of the one who will pay the most to be the best this whould not be a issue. All they do is make a game cartering to the system who they feel will make the most money for them better then everyone else. Then here comes the ports which everyone know are water down version of the original and this is what make people like yourself think that the system graphics power is limited. As I recall RE4 for the gamecube was a hell of a lot better than PS2 version. I had many arguements that the PS2 was better the gamecube. Give the system some time jeez, let the company fing good developers who take pride into the game they make and not for the money. So in closing drop the graphics war guy for we are not sure what system is truely is capable of given the right developer.

And if i'm not mistaken, the original Gameboy has sold more than any other handheld/console to date. So compare the graphics from the PS2 to a black and white Gameboy, and tell me that gameplay don't matter?

Muftak78 at the time gameboy graphics were great, of course 10years latter the graphics are now obsolete. so by saying graphics dont matter and then compare 2 consoles which were made 10years apart is stupid.

No Smoking said:
Muftak78 at the time gameboy graphics were great, of course 10years latter the graphics are now obsolete. so by saying graphics dont matter and then compare 2 consoles which were made 10years apart is stupid.

PS2 sold way more than XBox, Xbox had better graphics. Case closed.

Hey guys, lets argue about the same thing that every thread argues about!!! This is really getting ridiculous...smart people please read my signature and come join a newly created forum that won't allow this retardation to keep happening.

Hey, im just backing up the original post. Whether the consoles are 1 year apart or 10 years apart, it's still sold more than the newer, flashier console.

Also, in Japan, Gamecube is still outselling Xbox!

Back