Great Wii Fit Info

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
could someone explain to me all the hype around the Wii Fit and balance board? i've heard so much crap about it, it seems like people are getting so excited and not even thinking. all it seems to do is measure weight and center of mass. It doesn't track any real movement, just balance. i've heard people talking how great this would be for hockey, snowboarding, lacrosse (wtf?)... no? its not one of those track pads from the NES, you don't run on it, it doesn't look like its made for that kind of abuse. snowboarding, first of all, it probably doesn't tilt enough to make it feel any more realistic. second of all, imagine having to make a sharp turn... since the board doesn't move with you, you're going to lean forward and fall right off the board.

this will work for fitness, and fitness only. other than that its nothing more than a gimick. we have the remote and nunchuk which senses full movement, why do we need to stand on something that senses balance?

In the original link that cantgetawii posted it says in a virtual ski jump game you bend your knees then put your arms out and jump into the air. Well if you jump in the air and nintendo is targeting this at overweight people who have poor balance then it seems to me, this type of people might not be the most graceful and land hard on the wiifit board.
So I believe this device Can take abuse. That all being said. Snowboarding, Skateboarding ect... Irl all requires Balance and timing to pull off moves. If the can measure that Which it does why wont it work??

I think this board can be used for other games. Like dog said, if overweight people will be jumping on it, it will be fine. Not only that, But Nintendo always make strong products.

The board could also be used for racing games, Gas and brakes. And im sure Nintendo/third parties have some ideas.

Everyone thought the wiimote was a gimmick, but we all know it isnt. So give this a chance eh?

I'm going to have to go with, uhh, thanks but no thanks. I'm sure the fitness part of the board will be fine, but anything else is like previously stated, "a gimmick" I just don't think it will work as well as they hope it to. Even with this said, I am still inclined to "give this a chance" so we will see. This would be an instance where I would be happy to be proved wrong by Nintendo and whatever Third Parties decide to utilize it.

Well it is going to attract the non-gamers for sure. And although this game is looking to get people to lose weight, hence the BMI, the board is made to hold adults as well, not just overweight kids :lol:.

I for one think it is very promising but I don't see this being used for other games like snowboarding and skateboarding, unless those games were poorly done. However I am sure there will be more fitness games to come out because of this, which can never be a bad thing.

Also I read in a magazine that they are looking to sell Wii's and these boards in other places than Video Game retailers...Supermarkets :shifty:.

Anyways fair opinions everyone, I was hoping to discuss more of the news that I posted, but we were talking about previous things from other threads like new games and how it will work etc... :sick:

I for one have been loving the idea of WiiFit since day one. However, I do have one question: Is this replacing WiiHealth (I would assume so) or are they still working on a seperate project?

However, I can assure you that this time around, the WiiBoard IS a gimmick. Being a bodybuilder who can relate, I highly doubt that anyone will lose a significant amount of weight with this game. Im sure many of you are thinking "But that one guy lost weight by just playing WiiSports every day!" I have two responses to this:
1. He most likely tracked his progress incorrectly.
2. 90% of people who have played the Wii on a daily basis use a flick of the wrist, rather than all out. So what makes you think that WiiFit will be any different?

I will simply be getting it to see how well Nintendo did with this gimmick. I will probably use it a lot, but if you think I wont be going to the gym every day than your crazy. Doing a few pushups and situps here and there wont accomplish anything for the average person, and you all know it.

I'll also be getting it because my mom is into that sort of thing, the thing that I dont buy into. She has all of these weight training videos in which they do exercises for one set by 40 reps and whatnot. Oh oh and heres the best part, they use the same dumbbells (about 5's) for both curling and squatting. Trust me, I've tried to tell her that its no use, but, I guess as long as she thinks she's accomplishing something than its better than sitting on the couch...

TBH i cant really see fat people using this on a daily basis which cuts out 75% of the US audience :wink: they'll use it for a few days. complain their knees are giving out on them and then sell it on ebay

And for those that think they are doing themselves good by using it - something is better than nothing. Its like buying fish and chipsand then choosing diet pepsi cos you think it'll make ya lose weight

callme.nasty said:
could someone explain to me all the hype around the Wii Fit and balance board? i've heard so much crap about it, it seems like people are getting so excited and not even thinking. all it seems to do is measure weight and center of mass. It doesn't track any real movement, just balance. i've heard people talking how great this would be for hockey, snowboarding, lacrosse (wtf?)... no? its not one of those track pads from the NES, you don't run on it, it doesn't look like its made for that kind of abuse. snowboarding, first of all, it probably doesn't tilt enough to make it feel any more realistic. second of all, imagine having to make a sharp turn... since the board doesn't move with you, you're going to lean forward and fall right off the board.

this will work for fitness, and fitness only. other than that its nothing more than a gimick. we have the remote and nunchuk which senses full movement, why do we need to stand on something that senses balance?

Some horses need to be led to water, they can't seem to find it on their own. If Nintendo didn't make Brain Age, no one would have figured out that those things were possible, the same goes with this, if no one knows what to do with it, they would make games to show everyone what it could truely be used for. The board is not a gimmick, you can't play WiiFit without it, and there will be other games where you can't use a remote and nunchuk to play. As for tracking movements, well you can track movments with just the way you balance, you may not think it because you have been doing it so long, but if you bend you are adjusting the way you balance.

Does it show reduce the weight and have better posture on your Mii when you are losing weight? This is such a clever idea. Congratulations to Nintendo on yet another great idea. No it won't be much use to many body builders but to the average person who does **** all these days it definately will. Is there a definate release date yet? So far I've heard either end of this year or at the beginning of 08.

^I wouldnt expect it this year. I'm thinking Spring '08, about a month or two after Mario Kart.

My question is this........

Can the WiiBoard be used at the same time as the remote, or remote and nunchuck combo?

Jan 08 is the initial release date. I for one will be getting it. But you don't have to if you don't want. Get your DBZ instead.

Back