Guild Wars Review (MMO)

RivalDestiny

WiiChat Member
Staff member
Dec 15, 2006
Michigan
Wii Online Code
0409-5781-9484-0073
Yeah....I'm....Bored, so i'll just write up another review (9th one i think..) on my all time favorite MMO's, Guild Wars...It might be long, but who cares. I have a lot to say...

Just post anything if you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them and if you ever played it, just post something you like about it =P

Where to Buy:
Well there are 3 different Guild Wars games...Guild Wars: Proph ($30), Guild Wars: Factions ($40), Guild Wars: Nightfall($50).....and the soon to be expansion in the next month...Guild Wars: EotN ($40). You may pick one or buy all 3 for the whole story and gameplay experience...you can usually find it at any retail store where they sell video games...All of the games have girls on the cover....so you'll know >.>.

Guild Wars
box-l.jpg

Contents (Yes, I added the contents >.>)
1.1 - Introduction
1.2 - Leveling
1.3 - PvE
1.4 - PvP
1.5 - Lag/Updates
1.6 - Professions
1.7 - Random/Fun Stuff

1.1 - Introduction
Guild Wars MMO (Massively Multi-Player Online), the game does not have a monthly fee, but you have to buy the actual access key at a retail store. In all 3 campaigns they have out right now their are 10 professions to choose from...
1. Warrior
2. Mesmer
3. Ranger
4. Elementalist
5. Necromancer
6. Monk
7. Assassin
8. Ritualist
9. Dervish
10. Paragon

I'm taking a wild guess at this, but I believe there are over 1,750 skills to choose from, over 1,000 quests, and 58 missions (you must have all 3 campaigns to get all the skills, quests, and missions). The graphics in this game are beautiful...everything is designed very well and everything is just....amazing. It requires an up-to-date computer, but they made it so many of the computers can play it. In this game they also have both PvE and PvP, which I'll talk about later on..

7048_Dervish_Male_End_Game.jpg

This is a Dervish

1.2 - Leveling​
Guild Wars takes another approach to leveling, the level cap is 20. That does not mean after you reach level 20, you'll be bored to death. I've played this game for the last 2 years, and not even once have I gotten bored. There's always something to do in GW community..Leveling in this game is fairly easy, you don't just grind monsters, instead quests and missions will give you a fair amount of exp. Unlike WoW (World of Warcraft), you don't have to worry about your level. Each level you gain, you gain 1 skill point which is used to purchase different skills and a couple of attribute points for your...attributes. Once you do reach level 20, you will only gain 1 skill point per level.

1.3 - PvE
PvE in my opinion is very strong. The story seems to be well written out (sometimes it's a little corny x.x). You start out as a newbie at level 1, getting to level 20 will be very easy and it probably won't take you more then 2-4 days.

Guild Wars in PvE is so much more different then any other MMO. Why? Well first, you have your own explorable area, that means no one can KS you (kill steal) and you don't have to wait for spawning, since they'll always be there everytime you go out. In towns and outposts, you can team up with people and work together in one of the explorable areas. Another thing that is different is that you only have 8 skill slots to choose from. You can't just slab on random skills in there, you must a particular build that works. Like for example a MM (Minion Master), is where you control different bone minions. But you have to keep them alive, so you have to bring a certain skill to do so. It's like a chain.

In PvE you have both missions and quests. Some of them are required to advance the story further. I won't spoil anything, so I'll just stop there =P.

Guild%20Wars%20Factions.jpg

One of missions in Guild Wars: Factions

1.4 PvP
PvP IMO is one of the best. First off it's called "Guild Wars" for a reason...there are GvG battles of 12v12, where you fight to gain the best rank. Usually the top 10 guilds gets prizes like a new ATI graphics card or a new computer, something like that >.>. Of course getting in the top 10 is very very very hard, almost impossible without ventrilo (a team speaking program) and a very well thought out builds..There are other modes as well....

-TA (Teams Arena) 4 v 4
-RA (Random Arena) 4 v 4
-AB (Alliance Battles 12 v 12
-HA (Heroes Ascent) 8 v 8 (Yay to Europeans? Since they always win this....stupid Americans >.>)
-HB (Heroes Battles) 1 v 1
-ZC (Zaishen Challenge)
-ZE (Zaishen Elite)
-A-PvE (Arenas in PvE)
-GvG (Guild vs Guild) 12 v 12
-1v1 Tournaments

gwnightfall09.jpg

An Example of a Guild War

If you start out with a PvP character, you are automatically level 20. So no need to level. Also skills, insiginas, upgrades, and heroes are bought with Balthazar Faction which is gained by winning in arenas..

1.5 - Lag and Updates
This game is pretty much lag free, so you don't have to worry about that. Also, they have updates almost every week. Events come every month and there's always something new to do.

200px-Cnewyear09-lrg.jpg

Chinese New Year, Guild Wars Style

1.6 - Professions
I'll be going over every profession and a little description of them..

Warrior:
Warriors are referred as "tanks", they wield 3 different kinds of weapons...hammer, sword, or an axe. They also have the highest AL (armor level) of 80.

Warrior.gif

Mesmer:
I don't know much about the mesmer...since i never played their profession. But they bring a huge amount of degeneration of health. Also they wield both wands and staves.

Mesmer.gif

Ranger
Ranger is well a Ranger...they hold bows and they shot...arrows >.>...but they can also tame pets and keep them as their own, like White Tigers, Bears, or Wolves...

Ranger.gif

Elementalist
Elementalist can be either an Air, Fire, or Water Ele. My favorite is the Fire Nuker, you can use spells like Meteor Shower, Searing Flames, and others as well..

Elementalist.gif

Necromancer
The Necromancer is a very unique profession, they do both degening and they also control minions (bone flesh, bone fiend, bone minion, etc.)

Necromancer.gif

Monks
Monks can be 2 things...Smiting or Healing. Most of them are Healing, since Smiting isn't as good. They are pretty rare in the GW community and are often picked immediately whenever there's a mission or quest to be done.

Monk.gif

Assassin
My favorite PvP profession, yet the hardest one to control...There are so many different attacks...off-hands, dual, and many more...they hold daggers in each hand. They also can teleport...

Assassin.gif

Ritualist
Rits can also be a good monk, but they also bring spirits. They can summon spirits like Pain or Anguish to do their bidding..

Ritualist.gif

Dervish
My favorite profession...think of a devilish person with a scythe...yeah...I don't have to explain anymore..

Dervish_Select.gif

Paragon
Paragons bring support to the team by using chants, but they can also hurt the enemy with their spear. They also have the worst and the most ugly dance there is...

Paragon_Select.gif

1.7 Random and Fun Stuff

-Each profession has it's own "dance". Some of them are done bad in purpose, and some of portray the dances we see today (EX: Girl Necromancer...Thriller by MJ)

-Each year you stay in GW, you get a Minipet, which is a very very tiny little creature that follows you everywhere.

189738651_dab337a9cf_m.jpg

A MiniPet

-There are many emotes in this game like "moan" or "yawn".

gwfactions02.jpg

Guild Wars Factions

Overall Score:

9.6/10

Anyways that concludes my long review...

Time Taken to Type This: 43 Minutes...*sigh*

Comments or Questions...just PM me..

Other Reviews:
----
DS
----
Elite Beat Agents Review
Wario Ware: Touched Review
Brain Age Review
Advance Wars: Dual Strike Review
Meteos Review
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow Review
----
Wii
----
SSX Blur Review
Super Paper Mario Review
----
PC
----
Guild Wars Review

Last edited:
you should see what I do when i'm not on the computer >.>...

Crovax said:
Is it mostly geared at PvP or is it more like WoW in the aspect of quests

quests are optional, PvE is geared towards missions and advancing the story forward... while PvP is something you can pick right up and play.

Ive got guildwars! I played for a while, but none of my friends had it (either they were too cheap or they were playing wow......) so i got bored, but every now and then i might go on..........

well..... the PvE element (quests) becomes important.

When you create a char you can make it PvP or PvE. When you choose PvP your player will start at lvl20 and you can set him up however you please.

HOWEVER. Most of the items and upgrades and skills will not be usable on a PvP player untill you unlock them in the game...by obtaining them on quests.

that and the story is quite fun to play through.

anyone with news on GW 2?

tank said:
well..... the PvE element (quests) becomes important.

When you create a char you can make it PvP or PvE. When you choose PvP your player will start at lvl20 and you can set him up however you please.

HOWEVER. Most of the items and upgrades and skills will not be usable on a PvP player untill you unlock them in the game...by obtaining them on quests.

that and the story is quite fun to play through.

anyone with news on GW 2?

you can also unlock items, upgrades, and skills with balthazar faction if you're doing PvP.

Nothing was said about GW2 since the PC gamer magazine, everyone's focusing on Eye of the North now..

-40 new armor styles
-100 new skills
-10 new heroes (4 of them have been created and shown)
-3 mini games
-New titles
-18 Dungeons

xIcaruSx said:
I have played GW and WoW. And WoW is so far superior to Guild Wars it's not even funny.
Maybe your right, but i dont think wow is worth paying monthly............ Its good but its not worth it.

I never liked the aspect of grinding your levels. But WoW is good and probably is the best MMO. Of course the monthly fee is the only thing that is preventing me from playing, just not worth the $

True. But GW2 probably gonna be close to or better than wow. And it will have no monthly fee. You should've added in the factions part about the Kurzicks And Luxons. Nightfall to me is the best outta the three campaigns. (I own all three)

Back