Guitar Hero 3 Sexist?

Fire Flower

Is A Diddy Kong User.
May 13, 2007
London Ontario
Wii Online Code
2617-4361-9813-7619
http://thecurvature.com/2007/10/29/you-really-got-me/#comment-2762

I don’t think anyone would ever make the mistake of calling me a gamer. I’ve never been very good at them, and with the exception of puzzle-type games like Tetris and Mahjong, they just don’t interest me. It’s not my thing.
But I love Guitar Hero. My husband got me hooked on it a couple of years ago, when the first game came out. Since then, we’ve bought all the sequels since on their release date, even the shitty 80s expansion pack. I’m pretty good; I can complete hard with little effort, and get five stars on most songs with a bit of work. I will, in fact, get obsessed with it.
As any good rock geek should know, Guitar Hero III was released yesterday. We bought it. We got it home. We were excited. Then we turned it on and I came to the very fast realization that I just paid $50 for a game that was going to blatantly and guiltlessly insult me.
For those of you who have never played the game, this is my girl Judy Nails. She’s a cute, bad-ass alt rocker chick who doesn’t take **** from anybody. She’s the only female character to have appeared in every Guitar Hero release, and she has been my chosen character from day one. We work well together:
judy1.jpg

And this is my beloved Judy now:
judy2.jpg

The picture doesn’t quite do it justice, but since the game is brand new it was the best I could find. You can find a better view on Guitar Hero’s homepage. Basically, I’m not sure why they bothered to put a shirt on her. There are copious amounts of cleavage, her entire stomach, and at least half of her bra hanging out. The shirt is really more of an accessory than an actual article of clothing. Even on stage with all of those bright lights, she still might get a little cold. And every outfit change I could give her doesn’t make it any better.
Even worse, I don’t have any other female options. There’s Casey, who has always worn a bikini top in lieu of a shirt (which I was originally fine with, because there were other options and there is a male character with no shirt). And there’s a new Asian female character who, though she is covered, is dressed like she works for Gwen Stefani. And since I see it as pretty racist, I can’t go with her, either.
So. Apparently Guitar Hero now thinks that it either A. does not have any female fans or B. their female fans will, for some reason, not mind being objectified and forced to play with a character who is half naked, if they want to play with a woman.
I was pissed off. But then it got much worse. I started looking through the guitars in the store. First came a guitar called the “Clix” which is sponsored by those misogynist assholes at Axe. Yeah, I get the play on words (guitar, axe . . .). But Axe is still a company that is hateful of women, and so I was very displeased. Oh, they sponsor a bass, too, called Bom Chicka Wah Wah. Cute, huh?
That was a ****ing joke, though. Because next came the guitar Lady Shapes. What is Lady Shapes? It’s a guitar with a front that looks like/is shaped like an airbrushed blond in a bikini.
Worse of all, though, is the Parisienne. How bad could that be? The entire guitar is a disembodied woman’s leg in a fishnet stocking and heel.
Unlike most similar horrors that I run across, I don’t know how to be cute or sarcastic about this. Because I take it personally. Very personally. I’ve sunk a lot of money into this game. I’ve invested a lot of time and effort. I just spent $50 on this thing, which, for the record, I couldn’t really afford. And I get the game home to have it say to me “oh, by the way — we hate you.”
I’m more than pissed off. I’m ****ing hurt. I feel like I don’t exist.
And probably, I shouldn’t have expected any better. I mean, it’s a video game. And it’s aimed at rock fans. Those are two markets that are generally saturated in misogyny. But I did expect better. Until now, Guitar Hero had been different toward women (though, I will admit, not towards people of color). I trusted them.
I didn’t know how to explain this to my husband. Of course, he agreed that it is stupid and sexist. But he can’t really understand. He’s not the one being attacked. As a white male, he doesn’t have to worry so much about this kind of thing.
I’m sure that many of you out there can relate — have seen shows, or book series, music, etc. that you love and have been faithful to suddenly turn against you without notice, attack you with misogynist or racist imagery/ideas. It seems silly on the surface, but it is violating and painful. I genuinely do feel betrayed right now, like I’ve been handing my money and loyalty to someone who doesn’t want to admit that I even exist.
Who is to blame? I’m floating the suggestion that it has to do with the sale of rights to Activision. But still. Is it the designers? Corporate? Who? I don’t know. And quite honestly, I don’t care. Because everyone who put their name on it bears some responsibility.
I still haven’t been able to bring myself to play.
If you care, you can contact Red Octane. I’m certainly going to. And I hope that anyone who cares about things like video games and/or overt misogyny in media will take the time to send them a note asking why they think their female audience is so expendable.
UPDATE: It seems like I spoke about the lengths of the misogyny too soon. I did decide to play the game. The second time I went to play “I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night, ” before the song started they played the BOM-CHICKA-WAH-WAH music from those absolutely horrid Axe ads, and then two women in skin tight faux-leather pants and faux-leather tube tops took the stage to start dancing suggestively. Oh, and the tube tops said “Axe” on them.
The bright side is, I’m glad that I waited to write my letter. Who would think that such shameless product placement would not be the most offensive thing about the feature? Usually, I’d be appalled at the level to which they’ve sold out, but they did indeed find a way to take my mind off of that aspect . . .

I am disappointed about all the sexist material in this game also. Post your comments and if you agree.

You can also post a comment at the bottom of the link posted above.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Thats ****ing retarded. It isn't sexist, one of the characters just happens to be a slut, whats the big deal? There are sluts in the world. Should we only depict fully clothed goody goods?

There is a tattooed fatass male in the game, so it must be sexist against males. Not to mention fat people. *files law suit*

Not really, because some rock guatarists are punk sluts.
And besides they probally put her along with her big boobs, so you would want to buy it.
It would be sexist not having her, what would the chicks who play this game pick.

Yes it is a little bit sexist, but there are thousands of video games that objectify women. My sister plays this game and not once has she mentioned anything offensive about it (she's not a slut either :lol:). My advice to this woman, get over it.

Last edited:
(only read most of first post)

thats just activisoin thing and what do you want for her nlockable clothes then ffs.

in conclusion dont play the game with her if it offends you

Lol... Dont take advice from a politically charged website. Quite frankly Women do hold some blame for the low opinion of some of them. Wearing revealing clothes, etc. But remember, these are FEMINISTS. They get angry over ANYTHING. Not all females are like that.

But it is partly our fault for playing this. Yes, it is fun. BUT, is it something we need? The whole draw of the game is supposed to be the guitar playing. Not staring at half-undressed pixels.(I assume :smilewinkgrin: )

But in the end, it comes down to the free speech thing, and we all have a choice to play, or not to. Activision isn't going around forcing people to play this.

^^ What that person said.

I suspect there's more to the story, as it says Prez edited the first post...

That article was clearly written by some huge fat slob housewife who is bored out of her skull to the point she needs to fill the empty void in her life bashing video games that shoveling mouthfulls of high calorie fattening foods has not filled her entire life.

Quick call Al Sharpton and start screaming you are OUTRAGED!! Maybe some dopey self rightous minority group will get on board and help all of you wastes feel like there is some cause for you to exist.

Heres a thought stupid, if you dont like the game THEN DONT BUY IT AND SUPPORT THE COMPANY THAT PRODUCED IT. Its not our fault your husband would rather check out some fake video game girl who is not even real then even keep a glimmer of your sloppiness in his periphial vision reminding him how he destroyed his life by forcing a wedding ring on your giant sausage finger.

You know, I generally don't notice things like that, and if I do, I don't care. It's just easier than making a big deal out of it.

JohnnyRed said:
That article was clearly written by some huge fat slob housewife who is bored out of her skull to the point she needs to fill the empty void in her life bashing video games that shoveling mouthfulls of high calorie fattening foods has not filled her entire life.
Jack Thompson has a wife!?:yikes:
J/K

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

Anyway, I don't think the game is sexist at all. Is this person trying to say that there shouldn't be half-naked women in a game about rock bands because that depicts an unrealistic view of the world? If that's the case, she's been living on Mars for the last several decades; how else could one be so oblivious to all the pop culture stars in the real world that are just as, and even more, slutty than the one female character in GHIII? (If I've missed the point I apologize; I didn't actually read the article but picked up the general gist from the previous posts)

I'd like everyone to know that I'm NOT the one offended here.

Guitar hero should know that plenty of there customers are girls. And a lot of girls are offended by this stuff. Judy Nails is ok, but do they need all the dancing girls in the prison?

One more thing. Why hasn't a christian posted anything about the Devil being in the game?

Nope, Prez edited my title because I accidently posted

' Guitar ero 3 Sexist? ' :lol:
Thanks Prez!

Zeros:
Well the first two games did'nt have this stuff in it. and she's pissed because they had a nice girl character for her too play, and then they messed her up. Also, WELCOME TO WIICHAT!

Last edited:
I am a Christian, so since you brought it up...

I am slightly offended by it. But the Devil in his "commercialized" form isn't that bad. I don't use him in career and I only play him to beat him.

I prefer the British stage as well.

They're in hot water here. .
God of Rock
The Devil
Sluts

They shoulda thought about this. :scared:
Oh well, It's not like they're not making a crud load of money.

I think it is offending to women like seriously what if all the characters except 2 men are in the game and one is hippie and another is a fairy. Wouldn't you be offended.

Back