Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Guitar Hero III Lag Issue?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Hardware' started by Shiraz, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Shiraz

Shiraz WiiChat Member

We just got a Wii for Xmas and I bought the wireless Guitar Hero III. I have played PS2 wired Guitar Hero II and did not notice any issues of lag or response time. But with this guitar and it being wireless it just doesn't feel right. Not sure. I could play the "hard" level on PS2 fairly well but have trouble with this even on "medium"! It just doesn't respond like I think it should. Anyway, I've done the calibration when you pause a game and go to options but that doesn't seem to help. My guitar was brand new and sealed so I don't think there is a problem with the guitar. I just think because it's wireless it sucks. I'd rather it be hard wired now that I've played it.

Do they make a USB Dongle or anything so you can actually hard wire the controller into the back of Wii?? I think this would solve the issues.

Thanks for any help.

We love Wii and the wireless controller for the "other" games which work well but for Guitar Hero III I am disappointed so far.

If anyone could provide me links to a solution that would help too.

2. nic7

nic7 Wiichat Member

Wii Friend Code: 8853-1952-9704-6115
    8853-1952-9704-6115
    My friend, who avidly played GH2 said the same thing you did about the Guitar for GH3 on the 360 version. He says it just feels slow. I think that it was just slowed down/sped up from Guitar Hero 2 to 3. Unless both my friend and you are having the same problem, my advice for you is just to get used to it.

#2 nic7, Dec 26, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  3. WuddlePook

WuddlePook V(^.^)v

I know exactly what your talking about. The timing on the whole thing is completely off too imo. Like the other guy said, get used to it. Or play is on 360 where it seems better synched imo.

4. Shiraz

Shiraz WiiChat Member

Naa...there HAS to be a way to fix this. I don't feel as a consumer I should "get use" to anything. If it don't work right then either Nintendo or the makers of the guitar need to do something about it! But that's just me.

A hard-wired option maybe would do the trick. I just don't think the wireless technology has the speed yet for something like this. I kinda was afraid of this before I bought it and sure enough, it was what I expected. Live and learn.

It may be going back if there is no solutions in sight. Not a very good product for Wii.

5. Shiraz

Shiraz WiiChat Member

Oh, and another thing....entering cheat codes flat out doesn't work either! I tried various codes found on the net and none seem to do anything. Ugh.

6. paintba||er

paintba||er WiiChat Member

Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: s
    Wii Friend Code: 8354-0173-2009-5422
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    I swear I saw a controller delay option in the settings somewhere.

7. Wii_Smurf

Wii_Smurf No.1 Smurf

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    There is
    In options you click calibrate Lag and you can fix it.

8. Frodo

Frodo Middle Earth Blows

Wii Friend Code: 0416-2130-8046-9133
    0416-2130-8046-9133
    I played the game on my friends HDTV and I too found this problem...I really want to get this game but this issue is holding me back. Can anyone comfirm that the calibrate lag option works...because the first post said it doesn't, and the last post says it does. HELP!?

9. huvason

huvason WiiChat Member

I cant get the calibrate lag to work either in my GH3 for Wii. I have GH3 for the PS2 as well, and there are no lag issues. The Wii version is unplayable. I am not running on HDTV, just a plain tune TV. I have tried to calibrate, but nothing.

10. Hound

Hound WiiChat Member

I have a 52 inch HD TV and GH3 lagged for me too. It was really unplayable and I was so disappointed. My brother was real mad about it too. Then I found the calibrate lag option and I quickly tested it and it set the milliseconds back and it was SO much better. Now I can easily play medium and hard but still precticing expert. :p

Try calibrating the lag even if you don't have a HDTV.

11. JunesFox

JunesFox WiiChat Member

I'm using an HDTV and I'm having problems with my calibrations skipping in the middle of songs leaving me way ahead of where the music is when I started. It never fails, 50%-75% through the song you can hear the glitch that throws everything off, no matter how many times I re-calibrate or what songs I play. Any thoughts or advice?

12. GHIIIrock

GHIIIrock GHIIIRocker

well the calabrate lag you just strum with nothing else,no pressing the green red blue yellowe and orange,if you arwe doing that that may be causing the problem but if not,i dont know what to say except get youre bar above the tv recalibrated and updated.

13. JunesFox

JunesFox WiiChat Member

Going through the initial calibration is no problem, the error happens in the middle of playing songs where it skips out of nowhere. I'm just wondering if it could just be the TV, my system, or a bum game.

14. GHIIIrock

GHIIIrock GHIIIRocker

It is most likly youre tv,it depends what kind of hdtv you have,a lot of people are having the same problem with certian brands.but there is a piisiblility its youre sensor bar not registering youre actions soon enough,all i know is i have no problems what so ever.

15. chucknorris013

chucknorris013 WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 6830-7751-9116-6691
    6830-7751-9116-6691
    i noticed that at the very beginning but give it 2 days maybe and you'll be all set

16. gnahc79

gnahc79 WiiChat Member

We tried the unlock all songs code (forgot where) and it worked for us. I'll try to find it later today :).

17. lazyperson555

lazyperson555 WiiChat Member

All of the codes i've tried had worked. And my guitar does not lag at all... it's perfect. So if some people have this problem and others don't, than it's most likely not the companies fault. It is probably ur tv or the position ur sensor bar is in. I have a crappy old tv and it works good :lol:

18. Ashwii00

Ashwii00 Nintendo Loyalist

Wii Friend Code: 3080-8261-2528-7278
    3080-8261-2528-7278
    Call me crazy, but I think I found a solution.

I initially got GH3 on the release date and I had been playing it in my college dorm room (small room, not very high ceilings) on a not-so-impressive 20 inch tv. There wasn't much room to move around, so I pretty much had to be square in front of the TV for the sake of the living quarters. I had no problems in my dorm.

However, when I came home... I hooked the Wii and GH3 up in our living room, which is fairly large and has a big screen TV, so I did not have to stand so close. I stationed myself several feet back on the couch and began to strum away. I WAS FAILING ON THE EASIEST SONGS! I had a bystander confirm that the music was indeed not matching up with the notes.

I decided to move my Wii to the guest bedroom, which is a small room (somewhat similar to the dorm room). Here, I had no problems. I wonder if it is a sensor bar issue, because when I did move closer to the larger TV in the larger room, I had no problems. Could it have to do with the pitch of the ceilings or maybe the frequencies the kitchen applicances give off? I do not know, but personally...this solved the problem for me. Hopefully it can help others as well.

19. gnahc79

gnahc79 WiiChat Member

Disclaimer: I'm not a super HDTV expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere...that means you [DT] :)

The lag occurs ONLY if you have a newer HDTV (LCD, plasma, DLP, etc.). The good 'ol CRT TVs run at 480i, there's no scaling when playing the Wii at 480i. The newer HDTVs have a native res beyond 480i, which would be 720p or 1080i/p. If you're running the RCA (yellow) cables, then the display needs to scale up from 480i to its native res. For some displays this causes noticeable lag.
    If you switch to component cables and change the Wii display settings to run at 480p, then the HDTV needs to do less work in scaling the Wii input to its native res of 720p/1080i. However, some displays still have a noticeable lag. The solution? Return that shiny new HDTV and get one that performs well. Go to AVSforum to see what's good. For the most part you can't go wrong with a higher tier "sorta expensive but not super expensive" brand, e.g. for plasmas Pioneer and Panasonic.

edit: linky with everything I wrote above, but written much better :p

#19 gnahc79, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  20. GHIIIrock

GHIIIrock GHIIIRocker

yes i am indeed not more then 5 feet away when i am playing,i think beacuse the wii mote is inside the guitar it has trouble inputing a signal to the sensor bar in time. great info Ashwii00:wink: