Hackers Expand Wii Storage, Door Now Open To Filthy Pirates

castlezelda

WiiChat Member
Feb 7, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Although the recent ability to run Virtual Console and WiiWare games from your SD card has stopped people moaning about the previously thorny issue of internal storage space, it hasn't stopped industrious hackers taking the concept to the next level by enabling users to hook up a USB hard drive and run their retail Wii games from it. No more loading, no more discs.

However, while this neat trick is obviously going to help lazy couch potatoes that can't be bothered to get up and change discs whenever they feel like playing a different game, it also opens the door for rampant piracy. You don't actually have to own the original games to do this; all you need is the game image, and these are relatively easy to obtain online.

The catch to all this is that users will need a homebrew-enabled Wii in order to perform this dubious techno-alchemy, which will provide at least an obstacle to most Wii owners - but not those with strong morals, we would guess.

heres the link http://wii.nintendolife.com/news/2009/05/hackers_expand_wii_storage_door_now_open_to_filthy_pirates

Yeah I saw this on another site but chose not to post it as it isnt a area of hacking that is smiled upon on here.

true, i dunno y i posted it though

Those crazy pirates... in the future, I'll be able to gaze upon my expansive collection of music CDs and Video Games beatifully displayed on shelves, and all the pirates will have is a bunch of stupid data.

Those crazy pirates... in the future, I'll be able to gaze upon my expansive collection of music CDs and Video Games beatifully displayed on shelves, and all the pirates will have is a bunch of stupid data.

Yeah but they can also look at the stack of cash they didn't spend on any of that stuff!!! lol

But seriously though your right, I always wanted to keep a hard copy of stuff so I can have a collection./ Maybe its just the nerd in me, but I love when friends come over and my videogame/CD/DVD collection is stacking to the ceiling. That's why I don't even like the legal digital distribution service. And with quiet rumors that Microsoft's next console could be fully digital its hard not to think that the days of those gloriously stacked boxes are over.

Yeah but they can also look at the stack of cash they didn't spend on any of that stuff!!! lol

But seriously though your right, I always wanted to keep a hard copy of stuff so I can have a collection./ Maybe its just the nerd in me, but I love when friends come over and my videogame/CD/DVD collection is stacking to the ceiling. That's why I don't even like the legal digital distribution service. And with quiet rumors that Microsoft's next console could be fully digital its hard not to think that the days of those gloriously stacked boxes are over.

Sony is more likely to go into the entire full digital distribution than Microsoft.

I'd do it for legal backup purposes. Not only do your discs not get scratched or stained, but think of the loading times off a 64GB SSD!

Strange
I have a games on disc that are over 10 years old and dont have that on them

same here, but i don't have any kids around, nor does the rest of my family play much.

im in support of legal backups. we shouldnt have to pay twice for the same product.
also,
the number of people doing this is small.

Those CDs and DVDs are still just data, but stored on a plastic and aluminum disc instead of a metal disc.

It will actually improve the life of your Wii console, As the laser is not working all the time, I will admit i have done it to my Wii, But i would never download a disc image. I have only backed up the games i legally own. I dont want to cheat the producers, developers etc out of money they right fully earned.

It will actually improve the life of your Wii console, As the laser is not working all the time, I will admit i have done it to my Wii, But i would never download a disc image. I have only backed up the games i legally own. I dont want to cheat the producers, developers etc out of money they right fully earned.

Yeah that's the way I feel. I would never try to cheat a developer out of their hard earned money. I don't see anything morally wrong with downloading music for free (not saying I do it:cornut:) because most of the artists profits come from concerts and merchandise sales. However, a developers entire life depends on wether or not that game sales, so I would never pirate a video game.

so I would never pirate a video game.
I have pirated games in the past
But these games where hard to get

But still I say
[video=youtube;-Xfqkdh5Js4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xfqkdh5Js4[/video]

DONT COPY THAT FLOPPY!

I would be very happy if nintendo released a USB HD , i still prefer Carts as well,the disc accessing on some wii games is abysmal and actually very loud.

Back