Hard Drive Rumors Once Again

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
As logical as it may be for Nintendo to actually release an HDD for their Wii console, it seems that they just can’t make their minds up about it. One of our readers has become privy to some interesting information after contacting Nintendo’s service centre; asking about the device, and throwing in a Wii sensor bar extension cable for good measure.

This is what the Nintendo Service Centre had to say...

Dear Customer, thank you for your email.
Nintendo do not offer a sensor bar extension or an external hard drive for the Wii, although these items may be available some time in the future.
Kind regards,
Your Nintendo Team

Yeah, it’s certainly not a confirmation, but it’s definitely not baseless either, especially considering Nintendo’s flat out denial of the existence of an HDD in the past. Chalk it up as more fuel for the rumour fire, we’re keeping our fingers crossed that this service rep knows what they’re talking about.

Source:
http://www.mygen.com.au/article.php?page_id=85789813448621900&se_id=29&format=21

Rather interesting news here, considering if there were no plans of adding a drive you think they would say that. But I guess they don't know really.

Thoughts?

meh...it sounds more like a generic answer they are paid to say . I asked them about online video games for gamecube...and that never happened. But we'll see. We need a HDD if they are going to release full length games on Virtual Console.

well eventually i dont think they will be able to ignore the demand for one. but the time that comes, no one knows. someone should just email them about a HD

Reggie once said that a hard drive for wii has a market and is possible that one could be released also nintendo has a partnership with a company to develop usb external storage software.

Pikachu256 said:
If the Wii had a hard drive, I think the price of the Wii will rise.
I wonder if any External Hard Drives work for the Wii right now...

No, but I think an internal software update can make it so that USB drives can work with the wii. I so wish.

Dzapper said:
meh...it sounds more like a generic answer they are paid to say . I asked them about online video games for gamecube...and that never happened. But we'll see. We need a HDD if they are going to release full length games on Virtual Console.

actually there where online games for the game cube only one though. Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 and 2.

actually the game was great, over 2 million gamcube users played it, and it costed $8.95 the months across all 4 versions (PC,XBOX,PS2,GCN) so try to learn of a game before you judged cuz you wouldnt like it if I said Galaxy was a blow out and killzone 1 blows it out of the water (as IF GALAXY IS WAY BETTER). so please learn about something to judge it fairly in other words don t knock it until you learn it.

balrogs.pa said:
well since we have the SD card. i dont think it will happen.

I disagree.
WiiWare games are going to be decent sized. Even a 2 gig SD card will only hold so much game-wise. And for the cost of an 8gig SDcard you can get a 100gig USB HD.

I think that, next year, when WiiWare comes out, Nintendo will patch for HD's, as there will be both demand and purpose.

Back