has nintendo strayed its course? I miss the fun of the snes.

Shiftfallout

shiftfallout.com
Mar 9, 2007
Hollywood
I wish nintendo would go back to the SNES mentality. Those were the days when nintendo really shined... now ..honestly I do not think so much. Of course, if you werent playing the nes or snes back then, you probably wouldnt understand where I am coming from.

Anyways, who wants to guess which song this is being made in the snes mario paint game.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIrsJFEb7pE[/MEDIA]

nintendo at its best. Compared to today's innovation and fun, theres not much. I think ninty needs to go back to the snes mentality and reapproach gaming. Ninty developed games were at their best then.

I disagree, Ninty has made a massive comeback by doing the right thing, making games approachable to everyone, and in my opinion, there choice to forget about graphics and focus more on gameplay, fun and bringing people back together is what really makes Nintendo shine.
lee

lee.jarratt said:
I disagree, Ninty has made a massive comeback by doing the right thing, making games approachable to everyone, and in my opinion, there choice to forget about graphics and focus more on gameplay, fun and bringing people back together is what really makes Nintendo shine.
lee

what have they been doing the right thing with? please tell me? Most of the nintendo developed games are rehashes and reruns of their older games. Zelda is constantly repeated, mario has gone down the toilet so far, go ahead and tell me what right things they have done for gameplay? Like I said, some of you might be too young to really appreciate the products that appeared on the snes (one of the best rated systems in gaming history).

Sales are not whats important in this. Appreciate the video, the creativity involved in games like mario paint. You dont seem to understand the shift in what nintendo used to make and what is currently made. They are two different things, and the newer lacks the quality of the old.

Shiftfallout said:
what have they been doing the right thing with? please tell me? Most of the nintendo developed games are rehashes and reruns of their older games. Zelda is constantly repeated, mario has gone down the toilet so far, go ahead and tell me what right things they have done for gameplay? Like I said, some of you might be too young to really appreciate the products that appeared on the snes (one of the best rated systems in gaming history).

Sales are not whats important in this. Appreciate the video, the creativity involved in games like mario paint. You dont seem to understand the shift in what nintendo used to make and what is currently made. They are two different things, and the newer lacks the quality of the old.

In my opinion, the games coming out soon or in development look really great, Super mario galaxy and battalion wars 2 are good examples, they are developing new channels and updates for the wii, I think they are doing a good job at the many things they have done recently,
lee

I think they have definitely kept a lot of Nintendo tradition in their handhelds. Not so much the Wii, but Nintendo is all about making different software. They're just keeping up with the times. I did grow up with a NES, never had a SNES though. :frown2:

Nintendo makes unique products and games, I think they are as good now as before :)
A company would suffer eventually if it kept using the same ideas etc, and Nintendo doesn't do that.

lee.jarratt said:
Nintendo makes unique products and games, I think they are as good now as before :)
A company would suffer eventually if it kept using the same ideas etc, and Nintendo doesn't do that.

you just dont get it lee, you just dont get it. Quite frankly I didnt expect you to. You probably never played very many nes, snes games either.

As for nintendo not using the same ideas? they ARE using the same ideas, the same ones that started floundering with the gamecube. Dont get me wrong, i like nintendo for what nintendo does, and I own a wii, but unlike you I will say it like it is.

I think you are also missing the focus I am putting forth in this thread, watch the video. Do you have any idea how many days that must have taken to get that song down in mario paint lol? That game used a mouse and mouse pad for the snes, and I have to say it was fun. It wasnt so much a game as a type of software. The problem is lee, you only see Wii instead of seeing teh history or larger picture. I cant expect you to though, your too young to understand, since I grew up with nintendo and was part of their earlier gaming success. Take it from a ventran, ninty has changed ALOT, and its lacking the soul of what brought forth its success. Im not saying whats out now is horrible, however it is a farcry from what was.

adding (btw, i remember when myamoto followed up with pushing the envelope. He designed a game/software to go along with a N64 attatchment that would allow for players to take their faces using the game boy cam, and put them into the games and applications, ones that were about music and fun. Innovation where it mattered. Guess what happened? it was shot down by the current power in nintendo. You think myamoto has as much influence as he did in the snes days? hell no. They treat him like a tool, and hardly listen to his ideas which brought out nintendos success. Much has changed at nintendo, internally, and its for the worse. You dont see it, nor probably know the half of it.)

Last edited:
^ Well im sorry if im too young etc, it's just my opinion, no one is right or wrong here. It just seems like your having a go at me...

Shiftfallout...... did i read that right? You were praising Nintendo(albeit from an earlier age of gaming)? <faints>

It shows those people who accuse you of being a PS3 fanboy that you care about gaming, not a particular system!

I feel that market pressure has forced Nintendo into a place where it is trying to please too many people. I agree with your comment

shiftfallout said:
I think ninty needs to go back to the snes mentality and reapproach gaming. Ninty developed games were at their best then.
but there are many who would clamour for HD graphics and 7.1 sound. As you have oft reminded us, the wii is
shiftfallout said:
the 700mhz system
and therefore cannot compete in the same way as the PS3 and Xbox360 in this respect. Scan through this forum and you will see untold comments about lack of graphics, but fewer about lack of quality gameplay. There are even members who will deny the greatness of SNES titles purely because of their lack of stunning graphics.

I'm with your OP on this one....... although, if you read the latest copy of Edge magazine(issue 177), the article on Nintendo suggests that nothing has changed, Nintendo is still doing what it always has...........

EDIT: missed 2 or 3 posts while typing...... so if out of sequence I apologise

Shiftfallout said:
As for nintendo not using the same ideas? they ARE using the same ideas, the same ones that started floundering with the gamecube. Dont get me wrong, i like nintendo for what nintendo does, and I own a wii, but unlike you I will say it like it is.

Sfo - I will start out saying that I have been gaming for 20+ years - owned most formats but only started with Nintendo with GC and now have added Wii and DS into my collection.

I empathise with the point you are making about the earlier age of gaming - even tho I am not entirely au fait with early Nintendo as you are but I have seen enough of Nintendo through the ages to understand what you mean - what has happened to modern gaming with respect to innovation and creation of games that were interest based rather than objective based - the modern equivelant I can say is the DS's Electroplankton or even Wild World.

You should look to the DS for a harken back to some innovative gaming roots - it's not entirely reto-gaming, which is what you don't want - I hope I'm right; but you want new fresh simple ideas which entertain and drag you into them without the "kill this, open that etc etc seen that, done it!"

Whilst the rhetoric for most gaming developers is - sell sell sell - you will see with the DS at the moment, especially, that this isn't always the case in point; and it will come with the Wii as innovation but it isn't as easy to create when you have tight dev times and mega budgets which need recouping.

Nintendo are innovating with the DS / Wii - Brain Training (DS), Cooking mamma & kororinpa just for example but with the outstanding new control system, things will take time - again, Nintendo has broken the mould with the Wii / DS and hence devs need to re-think ideas and realise the freedom which these systems now afford them - they can take a simply dreadfully conventional controlled game such as tennis and create an enjoyable experience. Although I realise this is a remake of a game genre (which is what you don't want) but it is a new fresh EXPERIENCE - which in my book doesn't make it a hackneyed remake...it is new and fresh in the basest sense of the word.

There is innovation from both Nintendo and 3rd Party Devs out there - you can also try the homebrew community with the DS quite easliy and make new discoveries in gaming even now!

To say that Nintendo aren't being entirely true to their gaming roots is very harsh imo, they are leading the industry with a sidestep to increasing hardware power and a forwards stride to bringing back innovation in the form of FUN back into a tired and repetative industry - hell isn't this what they did in the early days....you tell me!

I have often said similar comments as SFO says. I feel that SNES was the best system game title wise. The RPG's were long, interesting, and fun! (wish that we would have gotten the Dragon Warrior/Quest ones here in the states).

I grew up with Atari and then I really loved both NES and SNES......and then of course I bought all the other systems afterwards, but the enjoyment I had with SNES titles were far more intense than with other systems. I was so sad when the N64 came out and the lack of RPG's......made me buy a PS1 so I could continue that fun, but by then, they were trying to make 3d stuff and it just wasn't the same.

But, however, I really like the Wii. I enjoy the controllers, the games I have (I have 9 disc games and about 20 vc games). The controller works for me, the titles are fun, and I enjoy myself. It's a different kind of enjoyment, but it works for me, as I understand that games just progress and we can't go back to where it was. The biggest thing I am grateful for is the VC, so I can have my other system games on there instead of having to plug in all of the systems. At one time I owned 13 systems at once (NES, SNES, 64, Cube, GBC, GBA, Master, Genesis, Gear, PS1, PS2, Saturn, Ghettocast) and it was just too much. Now I am down to a 360, Wii, DS, GCN(kept for the gba player), and Ps2 and it's much easier to maintain my entertainment center.

God, in my old age I rambled on. Sorry! Anyways, as much as I feel about SNES, I feel that Nintendo is back on track. So I agree with Lee that Nintendo is back on track from it's N64/cube days, and I could see how it would be hard for you as someone who didn't grow up with the older systems before the newer ones came out to not feel that nostalgia. And I also think the DS and GBA work well for the SNES nostalgia effects, as Rolex pointed out.

I agree with you Shift, I doubt anybody can deny that the golden ages of video gaming by Nintendo took place in the 80s and 90s, all starting with the NES and ending with the N64. However, I disagree when you say that Nintendo has been moving downhill lately, although they may have left their classic scheme behind, Nintendo is currently coming out with great games...how? Creativity, that's a trait/factor that the NES, SNES, N64, GC, and Wii all hold. That is what I think, distinguishes Nintendo from current competitors.

Back