HD TV - any difference?

Ciper is right, the Wii can only support 480p. Give it whatever 4 letter abbreiviation you want, it makes no difference.

THE WII IS NOT HDMI. End.

It will also depend on what size and spec Television you're playing on. It's easier to notice on a 40inch telly than on a 28inch.

Edit: Ill find a link to the ITU-R BT.709-5 that doesnt require a login. This is THE document that EVERYONE conforms to regarding HTDV specifications.

paintba||er said:

Not really. You said they aren't HD cables which isn't true. Even though the Wii can't output in HD the cables still can.
Stubborn. For a cable to be HD it has to be designed to handle a certain frequency response. This is why many people don't use the component switchers built into their receivers! Do a google search for component video switchers and you will see what I mean.

A great analogy. Lamp power cord may work on my speakers but that doesnt mean it will be THX certified.

Care to tell me what device I can connect the Wii video connector to that will generate the HD signal?

Last edited:
paintba||er said:

You could cut off the end with the Wii connector and attach RCA connectors. Also some have multiple connectors, such as mine which has a Wii, PS3 and 360 connector.
Using your logic I could call the Wii component cables

Quadaphonic record player interconnects
Phonograph to amplifier cables
SPDIF Digital audio cables
NES RF adapter cables
RGB cables
The phono plug has been around for over 60 years.

The transport does not define the payload. It would be like a post I recently saw on the forum that said "torrents are illegal"

You might not be able to see it but cut cables and those "multi system" cables do not meet the need for frequency response or the manufacturers specification for connections to the system. There is a reason you never see these type of splitters in any equipment primarily owned by those people who don't mind to spend the money to do something right.

Last edited:
ciper said:
Using your logic I could call the Wii component cables

Quadaphonic record player interconnects
Phonograph to amplifier cables
SPDIF Digital audio cables
NES RF adapter cables
RGB cables

You don't understand that the transport does not define the payload.
Ok, it doesn't matter what you can connect them too, component cables are still capable of transmitting an HD signal.

paintba||er said:

Ok, it doesn't matter what you can connect them too, component cables are still capable of transmitting an HD signal.
... That was my original argument. The Wii component cables are unable to transmit an HD signal.

Its marketing. You will NOT get a better picture with "HD" cables over a properly desgined/built set of component cables.

I would not be surprised if the official Nintendo component cables didn't meat the specification for HDTV...

Haha I'm really hungry and I said "meat" in the last post. I won't edit it because I think thats pretty funny.

BTW it was easy to get 480p from a console since late 99. Can you guess which one?

Playstation only did interlaced. PS2 came out in 2000 and didn't have progressive games for years.

It was the Dreamcast

gamercon said:
If i connect component cables to my SNES, will it be HD?
No but if you connect your SNES to anything but a CRT it will look like garbage!

edit: I think Tekken 4 was the first progressive game for PS2 and it came out in 2002. Dont quote me on that though.

With the Dreamcast 98% of the games can run in progressive while the PS2 its more like 8% :(

Last edited:
Related question: If I have a 36" TV and already use an S-Video cable for the Wii, would I notice any significant improvement going to component instead?

No it does not support progressive. And I really don't have any complaints about the S-Video Wii signal. I just didn't know if I could do better :D

I'll probably hold off then until I get my projector.

Back