HD vs Blu-Ray

Pikachu256

KryKidd
Jun 21, 2007
Avondale, Arizona
Hey guys which one do you think is better the all expensive Blu-Ray or the decent priced HD DVD?

Most HD DVD players are $300-$500 USD
hd2a_1.jpg

Most Blu-Ray players are $600+ USD
sonybluray.jpg

Of course most people would go for the Blu-Ray for the new technology but money is very important also.

History Lesson:

Remember the war against VCR and Sony Betamax?
(The Video Tape Format War)

Betamax:
betamax.jpg

VCR:
vcr.jpg

Price is important. Sony were selling their 4 Hour Betamax tapes were $10 and VHS were 8 hours for $5.
Sony sold their Betamax at around $100!
VCR could be found less than $50!

Find out more about the Video Tape Format War at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videotape_format_war

SONY BETAMAX LOST AGAINST VCR/VHS
[Back on Topic]

So now what do you think about the Disc Format War?
Well I guess only time and price will tell....

What do you think about the disc format war?

Last edited:
Lol yeah same here so we can get any movie we want..... and if you buy the loser in the Disc format war your doomed =/ wasted all that money

Pikachu256 said:
Most HD DVD players are $300-$500 USD
Most Blu-Ray players are $600+ USD

The PS3 is the best deal for a Blu-Ray player at the moment.

Of course most people would go for the Blu-Ray for the new technology but money is very important also.

Blu-Ray is no more "new" technology than HD-DVD. The structure of the HD-DVD disc is more similar to the current DVD discs, but that doesn't really matter.

Sony sold their Betamax at around $100!
VCR could be found less than $50!

I don't think so. Our first VHS that we got when Betamax was still available was over $800 (top loading with a wired remote!). Betamax were not far from that. Betamax was out of the market before prices got down to $100 (except for possible clearance sales of leftover units).

So now what do you think about the Disc Format War?
Well I guess only time and price will tell....

I wouldn't buy either of them until things are settled. And this is pretty much the last gasp for physical media. Whichever wins will eventually replaced by digital downloads.

Forgot to point out to you guys that Blu-Ray is selling out HD DvD. Ratio is 2 for Blu-Ray, 1 For HD DvD. So its like 2:1....

hopefully VHS will come back lol, I love VHS because discs gets scratched up a whole lot easier than VHS but VHS poorer quality =[

Pikachu256 said:
Forgot to point out to you guys that Blu-Ray is selling out HD DvD. Ratio is 2 for Blu-Ray, 1 For HD DvD. So its like 2:1....

hopefully VHS will come back lol, I love VHS because discs gets scratched up a whole lot easier than VHS but VHS poorer quality =[
It's not like, it is if your figures are correct.

Essentially how I had it explained to me is that the Blu-Ray discs have more space on the discs than the HD-DVDs do. They're almost exactly the same picture quality and really the difference are the companies pushing for one to do better than the other. I think both will last for quite a while, 2:1 is nowhere near a big enough margin for one to get pushed out. They have combo players that will play both formats, and regular dvds, but they're fairly expensive the last time I checked on those.

Back