HD Wii - Is It Coming? Depends Who You Ask

castlezelda

WiiChat Member
Feb 7, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
According to wii.nintendolife, Is the Wii ready for HD? that depends on who you ask.
Thanks for clearing that up, Reggie.

Nintendo's left hand says, "I don't know what my right hand's doing"

Another week, more HD Wii confusion. Last week's Nintendo investors meeting is proving to be a goldmine of quotes and teases, following the cats and WiiWare demo service, and now further translation has revealed an interesting little titbit about the possibility of an upcoming HD-enabled Wii.

Nintendo's research and development manager Genyo Takeda confirmed that they were looking into different possibilities, including HD as well as SD, but that nothing concrete could be confirmed as yet, although "things are heading in an HD direction".
"Since an increasing number of the TV sets at home around the world are becoming HD today, it will be natural for a machine to be able to generate graphics that people will be accustomed to see on HD televisions," Takeda said. "Since the ordinary TV programs are now shifting to HD, moving to HD appears to me a natural flow."
Right, so that's nicely cut-and-dry - the heads of Nintendo Japan are saying that HD is a natural evolution and they're looking into incorporating it into future machines. But wait - a challenger appears! Speaking on GTTV, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime said “Michael Pachter continues to be the only one that believes this [Wii HD] is going to happen. I don’t know how forcefully we can say that there is no Wii HD.”

You might need to be a bit more forceful when the heads of Nintendo are saying "it's happening".

There are 2 links that cover this http://www.vg247.com/2009/11/06/reggie-there-is-no-wii-hd/ and the other is http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/move-to-hd-is-likely-says-nintendo

Last edited:
It is inevitable that a HD enabled Wii is coming. The question that we should be pondering is, when is it coming? It would rather dumb if Super Wii/Wii 2/Wii HD came out in 2010. If it came out in 2010 then 360 & PS3 could learn what it'll do & build from it, essentially out performing it. I believe it should come out when the other Big 2 are planning to release their consoles, 2012.

Nintendo has noticed that more HD television sets are at home than they were in 2006 at the launch of Nintendo Wii. I don't know what Ryu 27 is talking about because XBOX 360, when it originally came out, didn't even have an HDMI Port. That, hopefully, is what Nintendo is going to do. I only agree with Ryu 27 if Nintendo decided to make other model versions of the same console. Like Nintendo GBA, GBA SP, GBA Micro, NDS, NDS Lite, NDSi, or Sony's PSP 1001, 2001, 3001, PSPgo, PS3, PS3 Slim.

*Facepalm*

Why do people ask stupid questions like this? Try thinking about something for a moment...

Wii games, utilizing the current Wii's hardware, are slated for 2010, 2011, and in some cases, 2012 releases. Now, if they were to make a Wii HD, they sure as hell wouldn't be releasing it while their big-hit titles like Other M and Red Steel 2 were coming out on an inferior machine. And no, they won't be making "a Wii HD verison too", it just doesn't work that way. Nobody would port about 20 AAA titles from an inferior machine to a superior machine because they wanted to release it alongside each other, that would be stupid.

Now, this means, at the latest we have 2012 to look to for a Wii HD, which is inevitable because of the Wii's success (though, personally, I kind of wanted a brand new console with a real gaming pad, but those days are over methinks), however, because of the Wii's success, you may want to consider something....Why? What point would there be to releasing one any time soon? Nintendo probably makes a 70% markup on each Wii they sell, as they are essentially selling something less powerful than an original Xbox, and its sales figures show no signs of slowing down. The only time they will pull a hat trick and roll out a new Wii is when the current Wii slows down and they want to monopolize on the success of the first by releasing a "fresh, new, HD Wii that plays all your old Wii and GC games!".

Long story short, such speculations are stupid. There is not going to be a Wii HD till at LEAST 2012, and that is a very long time away, so don't bother worrying over it.

Back