HDMI adapter?

rick619

WiiChat Member
Nov 24, 2013
Riverside, CA
I saw this adapter and was wondering if it will work with the old wii (got it for mario galaxy) or not? Basically looking for the most inexpensive way to connect to my TV. Essentially need a longer cable to go through the wall conduit. I could do component, but prefer HDMI because of the smaller cable.

Adapter: http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-1080P-Ou...5&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+cable+for+nintendo+wii

It's for my 5 yo, so not worth it for me to pay more if one is higher quality, just need it to work.

Thanks for any info!

Most inexpensive way is with the cable the Wii came with

I do have that adaptor and it does work. The image is about as sharp as what you can get with component cables. It may depend on the version you get, but the one I have has issues with brightness levels: darker spots are too dark and brighter spots are too bright. Super Mario Galaxy looks fine, but something darker like Lego Harry Potter will be harder to see without some adjustments. Also, the audio was coming out louder than I would like.

Hi, I'm having a similar issue. Setting up my wii on my new TV, but my new TV doesn't have a component AV input... Any ideas for the best way to convert the wii AV cable to HDMI? I've found adapters online for ~$25. Would the new HDMI output for the wii U be compatable with the wii? The wii U cable is a lot cheeper.

No, a Wii U cable would almost certainly not work with a Wii. That cable is cheaper because it doesn't have to do much: the Wii U natively outputs digital HDMI video. To get HDMI output from a Wii, you need something that converts the Wii's analog video output into digital HDMI output. That's why the Wii HDMI adaptors are more expensive: they need to do video conversion, and I actually find it remarkable that they are as cheap as they are.

Back