HDMI for the Wii?

Digitalldj

G'd up from the feet up
Jan 9, 2007
Wii Online Code
4877-3781-9603-3455
Is there/Will there be an HDMI output for the Wii??

i have not seen any locally, but i'm kind of stuck needing one..as my Yamaha Receiver does not downconvert Analog Signal to the HDMI input for my projector

so it's either i'm stuck keeping the Wii in my room and playing it on a smaller TV, or leave it dangling from my projector with no audio :(

No reason to have HDMI since the Wii is only capable of 420p picture quality. The projector doesn't have component or RCA in? Can't you run the sound to the receiver with red/white RCA and then run video to the projector directly (if it has component/RCA in)?

Or option C) Get an S-Video to HDMI converter. You can get them for about $200.

All depends on how bad you want it.

sremick said:
Or option C) Get an S-Video to HDMI converter. You can get them for about $200.

All depends on how bad you want it.

He might as well put something extraand get a regular TV with component inputs.

i searched and found other topics regarding this..

how is there "no reason" to have HDMI output on the wii?

yes, it cannot put out as full HD resolution, but HDMI is A COMMON and perhaps up and coming the most popular source for HD Tv's and home theatres, i think it's absolutely rediculous nintendo doesnt at least offer it as a source of output

and hooking straight into the projector is not an option as it's ceiling mounted..

Digitalldj said:
i searched and found other topics regarding this..

yes, it cannot put out as full HD resolution, but HDMI is A COMMON and perhaps up and coming the most popular source for HD Tv's and home theatres, i think it's absolutely rediculous nintendo doesnt at least offer it as a source of output

and hooking straight into the projector is not an option as it's ceiling mounted..

Sounds like you have a nice setup.

Gefen makes several converters (assuming you don't want to go full tilt scaler like a DVDO product, handles several in/out). Anyway this Gefen box:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/EXT-COMPAUD-2-HDMI.htm

Handles component video + analog audio -> HDMI for $178

FWIW, I've dealt with RAM on a few occasions and have had excellent customer service. Hope that helps!

~DT

man..already spent so much money :S

oh well..i guess a switcher or converter is gonna be my only option in the long run :(

until then the projector only sees the PS3 and 360 i guess :sick:

Digitalldj said:

Also no reason because the Wii is only capable of Dolby Pro Logic II sound and not 5.1 which the HDMI handles.

Really a unthoughtful move on Nintendo's part because I agree that we are going to see more and more HDMI hookups on TVs in the near future, HD or not.

Well, considering just an S-Video -> HDMI converter box costs almost $200 I wonder how much an HDMI port would have added to the cost of the Wii. Certainly not a full $200 but it wouldn't have been negligible.

d4mahern said:
^so s-video isnt much of an improvement over standard and people still do it...its just the fact that some people need it to play it at all...im surprised that no third party has made one yet....
Wrong. When I switched to S-Video from standard composite on my 36" TV there was a huge improvement. My TV has both so I don't have to use S-Video, but I use it because it's a lot better.

sremick said:
Wrong. When I switched to S-Video from standard composite on my 36" TV there was a huge improvement. My TV has both so I don't have to use S-Video, but I use it because it's a lot better.

Really? I didnt really notice a difference when i switched to s-video on my ps2...

d4mahern said:
Really? I didnt really notice a difference when i switched to s-video on my ps2...
What size TV did you have? The smaller the TV, the less-noticeable the difference.

Back