HDR lighting in wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ii

well. you mean aa as in anti aliasing?

HDR is self contained. AA is a step below HDR

aa has nothing to do with hdr.
hdr is a shading technique and aa is a more precise rendering idea.
hdr is like adding more light to more objects, more realistic glows ect.
aa is anti aliasing which is smoothing of edges due to more rendering passes in the gpu.

yeah thank you i misunderstood a little bit. but i still think aa is a step below hdr.

thats really what i meant thank you for breaking it down for others to learn.

Yea, sure JakobtheLYRE:lol: Jk.

I understand it now, thx turpentine. R u just a smart computer type person or do u just study console programming and that kind of stuff?

i think it does have hdr, you know in Red Steel, the videos, it shows the guy run past shooting, then you see the light coming through the holes and it all looks really amazing? that looks just like the pic in turps explainiation

red steel has hdr because the light curls around corners.
in normal lighting it would be harsh and edgy. Light isn't edgy, you know, quantum physics and all.

my brother is a comp sci major, he programs robots.

I would expect that red steel will have AA as the GPU is finalized considering the rumors of the extra proccessing power which is supposedly being added to give "free" AA.

Jakobthelyre said:
does anybody know if wii wiill support hdr lighting?

and for those of you who dont know what that is, go wiikipedia it.
I will pull it up for everyone, since I typed in HDR lighting, and it came up "no article found" (or something like that).

Bloom shader effect
Bloom (sometimes referred to as Light bloom) is a computer graphics shader effect used by computer games.

In high dynamic range rendering (HDR) applications, it is used when the necessary brightness exceeds the contrast ratio that a computer monitor can display. A bloom works by radiating, or blooming, the high intensity light around the very bright object, so that the bright light appears to be coming from around the object, not only from the object itself. This gives the illusion that the object is brighter than it really is. It can be used without HDR rendering to represent a surface that is being illuminated with an extremely bright light source, and as a result, is often mistaken for a full implementation of HDR Rendering.

Bloom became very popular after Tron 2.0 and is used in many games and modifications. Ico was one of the earliest games to use the bloom effect.
Heres a more in-depth look at it, and I'll also provide picture examples.
200px-Farcryhdr.jpg
- Farcry with HDR lighting.
200px-Farcrynohdr.jpg
- Farcry without HDR lighting.
400px-Hl2hdrcomparison.jpg
- Half Life 2.

Although it's possible that Nintendo may have a different version of this effect. Nintendo are renowned for their innovative features (like the N64 with anti-aliasing, and the Gamecube for it's in-built water effects).

Edit: Upon inspection of the wikipedia article relating to Super Swing Golf Pangya, I've found something hopeful -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Swing_Golf_Pangya said:
Super Swing Golf Pangya is a Nintendo Wii version of the online golf game, PangYa. It is being developed and published by Tecmo and will be a launch title in Japan and possibly a launch title in the US, Europe and Australia.

The official E3 trailer showcases the game in different ways. The most notable feature is the graphical superiority. The developers have slightly updated the textures, and the characters look to be affected more by lighting effects, such as dynamic lighting, self-body shadowing, and possibly HDR bloom. There are also more leaves and artifacts floating around realistically in the air, which shows that there has been an improvement in the particles system. Hair also appears to flow realistically, as well as it being separated into different tendrils.

Last edited:
Back