HDTV, Gaming, and Frame Rates

OWLRUS

Overweight Artist
Jan 24, 2007
Wisconsin
Wii Online Code
0262-2648-0957-4340
I'm close to buying a LCD HDTV. I've got a few questions about ghosting. How much of a difference will a 12ms and 8ms frame rate have? I'd like this tv to last so im going 1080p, but im wondering if I can add a couple inches to it by going for a slower frame rate. I've read reviews about people using a 12ms with a ps3 and it looked great, but like I said, I'm investing here. Any advice?

I don't have an LCD TV but i do have a 30-inch HDTV LCD. I've been gaming on it for a long time and i have to say i have no problem with it, no ghosting or anything at all. I would highly recommend it. Looking at the manual, mine has a 6ms grey to grey and 12ms black to black response time so I guess yours should be similiar. A 12ms and 8ms could possibly be a big difference depending on how fast the screen turns. For me, my quick movements with a flick of the wrist has no ghosting at all so i think you won't have a problem with it either. Good Luck :)

OWLRUS said:
I'm tempted to scale down to 1080i because my friend has a ps3 and it looks fine on his 1080i. It's a tough decision but I'm looking into this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889022027

It's definately cheaper, although the return policy sucks.
i heard its always better to go with samsung, sony, or whatever, Olevia is one of the cheaper ones and people say they dont last as long and arent built with much quality

Well the response time is basically how fast the pixels can go from inactive to active to inactive.
12ms should be fine for most things but if your using the TV for gaming then the lower the response time the better.
CRTs have the best response time and so are actually best for gaming when compared to LCDs but LCDs are catching up.

If you want it to last then I would go to 1080p. Personally I wouldn't even settle for 1080i.

Westinghouse has a pretty nice TV in 1080p, but it will never compare to a Samsung or Sony due it is drastically low contrast ratio.
37" Westinghouse 1080p MONITOR (also available in 42" and 47")
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...Westinghouse+37&type=product&id=1140394400806

Samsung IMO is probably the best 1080p TV on the market due to it's amazing picture, and most important...price.
40" Samsung 1080p (also available in 46" and 52")
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage..."+samsung+1080p&type=product&id=1142298457279

Sony has the best picture of a 1080p, but you are going to pay for it big time. I was going to post links to them, but I doubt most people on this forum are in the market for a $3000 TV.

Jorge said:
If you want it to last then I would go to 1080p. Personally I wouldn't even settle for 1080i.

Westinghouse has a pretty nice TV in 1080p, but it will never compare to a Samsung or Sony due it is drastically low contrast ratio.
37" Westinghouse 1080p MONITOR (also available in 42" and 47")
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...Westinghouse+37&type=product&id=1140394400806

Samsung IMO is probably the best 1080p TV on the market due to it's amazing picture, and most important...price.
40" Samsung 1080p (also available in 46" and 52")
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage..."+samsung+1080p&type=product&id=1142298457279

Sony has the best picture of a 1080p, but you are going to pay for it big time. I was going to post links to them, but I doubt most people on this forum are in the market for a $3000 TV.
im looking for a nice bedroom tv for movies my xbox 360, thats why i want a 27" and really the 1080p thing dosent apply for me because i want a tv under $800
720p is fine for me, + it seems like only the bigger TVs support 1080i/p
well since it seems like your a tv guy you could help me, the link i posted above, can you give me some insight on that? its really 750 in store, o i jsut relized its 8ms so that should be good for gaming, right?

Last edited:
Well I was posting that for the OP.

i HIGHLY suggest a samsung 1080p. when i was at the store looking for an HDTV, the samsungs ALWAYS looked better than the rest. ended up buying a 56" samsung 1080p TV and it look BEAUTIFUL! however mine is a DLP and those usually do look better lol

LCD's give you a brighter picture. DLP's give you a bigger screen and a faster refresh rate. I would go as far as saying "DLPs always look better"

I'm looking to spend $500-600 on a tv including shipping. I know thats not much, but I can also live without 1080p as I'll upgrade in the future to a larger living room set and using this one as a bedroom set. Any recommendations Jorge?

Jorge said:
LCD's give you a brighter picture. DLP's give you a bigger screen and a faster refresh rate. I would go as far as saying "DLPs always look better"
Sorry I made a typo. I wouldn't go as far as saying "DLPs always look better"

You will be able to find a TV no problem, but I strongly recommend going to a store and checking out TVs in person first, and if at all possible buy from a store. Would you rather buy a TV that is back in a stock room that you can personally carry home, or would you rather have it mailed to you and be thrown around?

I can give you some recommendations, but TV image quality is 90% personal opinion. For a good cheap TV though, I would recommend a Westinghouse.

Jorge said:
Sorry I made a typo. I wouldn't go as far as saying "DLPs always look better"

You will be able to find a TV no problem, but I strongly recommend going to a store and checking out TVs in person first, and if at all possible buy from a store. Would you rather buy a TV that is back in a stock room that you can personally carry home, or would you rather have it mailed to you and be thrown around?

I can give you some recommendations, but TV image quality is 90% personal opinion. For a good cheap TV though, I would recommend a Westinghouse.
Do you guys think it would help if I created a HDTV Purchase Help thread? It seems like your 80% of the brains here Jorge, would you be willing to help people out? Because since HDTVs are the new things, a lot of people are trying to get into them

Back