HDTV nonsense questions

supanova

chaos whore
Me and the fiancé are planning on getting a HD TV in October and I’m just wondering if my Wii will suffer from quality loss and if I need a connection or cord or something. Will this make the quality better, or what?

God, I am rubbish with this HD talk.

Anyway, comments, answers and abuse are always welcome.

Well, the standard audio and video cables are Yellow, White and Red. The HD Cables are called component cables and they are Yellow, Blue, Red, White, and Red. When you get your HD screen, you should just ask one of the employees for "HD component cables". He should get you what you are looking for. As for price, I have seen them go from $15 to $60.

EDIT: If you are not in the US, things should still work the same, but I don't know the money conversions.

Thanks. That sounds about right, I have read up on this before but I am completely useless with this ****, but the quality on those TV's are ****ing exceptional. Thanks for your help. (I'm in the UK by the way).

Wiiman64 said:
Well, the standard audio and video cables are Yellow, White and Red. The HD Cables are called component cables and they are Yellow, Blue, Red, White, and Red. When you get your HD screen, you should just ask one of the employees for "HD component cables". He should get you what you are looking for. As for price, I have seen them go from $15 to $60.

EDIT: If you are not in the US, things should still work the same, but I don't know the money conversions.
Component cables are red, green, and blue. The audio cables are red and white. And since the best picture the Wii can produce is 480p, do not expect Xbox 360 or PS3 levels of graphical awesomeness.

supanova said:
Yeah, I didn't expect awesome picture quality such as PS3 or Xbox (I actually intend on buying a PS3 around the same time).

Would any of these be fine to use?
They both look fine. Check our user comments just in case though.

The picture quality will be enhanced somewhat. I have an HD Sharp LCD, and it's worth having the component video cables. You may not have to get the most expensive set at the store, just the basic nintendo brand should do.

SixStringedStress said:
The picture quality will be enhanced somewhat. I have an HD Sharp LCD, and it's worth having the component video cables. You may not have to get the most expensive set at the store, just the basic nintendo brand should do.

My LCD television is evil and likes to display jaggies and marks on my screen when viewing interlaced video. (It's native resolution is 1366x768P.. so I'm guessing it forces a de-interlacing method that scratches the data) So anything in interlaced mode looks shitty (except Zelda - wow, it looks amazing..)
I have actually heard people say that 3rd party component cables are better quality than Nintendo's standard component set. Although I'm running for Nintendo all the way, seeing as my TV is fussy I might go and buy some 3rd party component cable set.

People claim they're better - so if you're in the mood and have a lot of money to spend please buy a 3rd party set and a Nintendo brand set. I want to know if there's a difference - espescially on expensive 1080P HDTVs. It's defintally worth the switch if I can have a flawless picture. I'm a frequant GameCube game player and (either the PAL version doesn't support NGC in progressive or) I can only push 60hz 480i or 50hz 576i from my favourite games.
(Already though, my Wii games look amazing in just 480P...)

Anyone care to comment?

Well, I have the third party cables and the first party cables (I got the third party ones because my picture seemed to be 480i with the first cables meaning no real change) The third party cables seem to improve the picture a lot. I thought it may just be my TV though.

supanova: If you were able to compare a tube TV at 480p to an equal sized LCD/Plasma HDTV you would see that the Tube TV looks far better. Check out the forums dedicated to older gaming consoles and you will see that nearly all of the members keep a CRT around for gaming since the LCD/Plasmas look so bad.

If you really want high quality gaming on a large screen with HD capability get a KV-40XBR800. Off the top of my head I think it will display an image of equal size to a 46 inch widescreen.

Back