help an old guy

I just want one that I can get today and this guy will let me collect (just up the road)

£20 I didn't think this was bad and he will do a usb thing for my PC for £10

My main concern is how I connect this

DO I remove the cabe that goes from my modem to my pc

then plug thin into my modem?

There should be an ethernet or maybe a usb port on the router. Plug the wire from your modem into the router and go through the setup processes (you should put the wireless adapter into your PC where you take out the wire that goes to the modem, unless this is ethernet; the wirless adapter should go into a usb port on the back of your PC). You should be connected to the net with both your PC and Wii in no time as long as this router works, which it looks like it will.

Last edited:
one last question honest, whatgames age avaialable to play online. are ther lots or just one or two.

whooaa

is that netgear really a router too??

double check with the seller first.

to me it looks like a wireless bridge which will defeat the object of
what you're trying to achieve.

basically, you require:-

wireless router (suitable for cable broadband...NOT ADSL)

if you buy a wireless router, you DON'T need a USB adaptor, you can plug
the pc directly into the router (which will sit next to your cable modem)
and the Wii connects to the router wirelessly.

don't waste money unecessarily because people "tell" you to buy a USB
adaptor.

you either buy a Nintendo wifi USB adaptor and use a host pc as per ICS
(internet connection sharing) or you buy a wireless router....don't combine
the two.

many will attest that a wireless router is the way to go....it offers more
flexibility than the wifi adaptor ever will.

The usb dongle thing works you plug it and install and then the wii can acess you need nothing else. But you need your pc on to go online on the wii

but if thats not the way u prefer then get the lan adapter and attatch a cable from the pc to the lan adapter

WHAT A DAY,

Bought a wireless router, then realised I needed a network adapter for my pc.

Spent HOURS tring to set it up, then called the support number for the router only to be told I had bought a BRIDGE???? not a ROUTER. lol looked the same to me

Eventualy got a refund for this from my local shop for the router but then when back to PC for refund on network adapter but they would not as it had been opened. (BOO to PC World)

Am now going to buy one of those dongle things and try to flog the network adapter on ebay.

NEVER AGAIN the kids can have a skipping rope next school holidays

helpmeplea said:
WHAT A DAY,

Spent HOURS tring to set it up, then called the support number for the router only to be told I had bought a BRIDGE???? not a ROUTER. lol looked the same to me

Eventualy got a refund for this from my local shop for the router but then when back to PC for refund on network adapter but they would not as it had been opened. (BOO to PC World)

Am now going to buy one of those dongle things and try to flog the network adapter on ebay.

NEVER AGAIN the kids can have a skipping rope next school holidays
I was afraid of that! You should get the Linksys I posted for you to look at, which is a fantastic router. The Wifi dongle is full of problems and if you go that route you will most likely end up switching to a router anyway if it ever even works in the first place. If you wanna quick fix, go with the Nintendo LAN adapter and PM me to walk you through it. ANd as far as not needing the wireless adapter you got for your PC, which it sounds like you're stuck with, you will indeed need this if you want your PC connected wirelessly not having to have it right next to the router as you would with your original setup. If you go wireless all the way, it's hard to be disappointed. I still say go with the router for wireless, and let me help you get it going. Your choice.

i notice alot off u talking bout routers and this and that why cnt you just use the wifi connect all it does is plug into a usb port and ur done . does it make any diff running a router

jess4mick said:
i notice alot off u talking bout routers and this and that why cnt you just use the wifi connect all it does is plug into a usb port and ur done . does it make any diff running a router
The Wifi adapter seems to cause more problems than it's worth, and with a router you can have your entire small network running wireless. It's the wave of the future, why not take advantage of it? Oh yea...and a router costs about as much as the Wifi adapter!

well, i have a modem (broadbrand) and one day i was so confused i messed with wi-fi settings on my ds and BAM wi-fi started working.....if you get ur ds wi-fi working youll get ur wii wi-fi working.

FR3344LL said:
whooaa

is that netgear really a router too??

double check with the seller first.

to me it looks like a wireless bridge which will defeat the object of
what you're trying to achieve.

basically, you require:-

wireless router (suitable for cable broadband...NOT ADSL)

if you buy a wireless router, you DON'T need a USB adaptor, you can plug
the pc directly into the router (which will sit next to your cable modem)
and the Wii connects to the router wirelessly.

don't waste money unecessarily because people "tell" you to buy a USB
adaptor.

you either buy a Nintendo wifi USB adaptor and use a host pc as per ICS
(internet connection sharing) or you buy a wireless router....don't combine
the two.

many will attest that a wireless router is the way to go....it offers more
flexibility than the wifi adaptor ever will.

helpmeplea said:
WHAT A DAY,

no disrespect, but when buying something you have little knowledge about,
look up the instructions or manual on the net....netgear have a fantastic
knowledgebase which would have told you immediately that you were buying
the wrong equipment.

jess4mick said:

as wiibad has already pointed out, a router has countless plusses over a USB dongle.
the USB dongle will pretty much only allow the Wii or a DS to use the internet through it, which
also means that you have to have your pc switched on to access the net.
a router negates the need for a dedicated "host" pc, it also allows for approx 253 devices to
connect (should you feel the need) to the internet independantly of each other.

and the price thing? yup, about the same as a dongle.

Last edited:
helpmeplea said:
DO I have to have a ninitndo dongle or will one of the other ones do

tbh, if i decided to buy a wifi dongle, i'd plump for the official nintendo one
purely due to the fact that at least you have some sort of helpline if the
installation goes tit's up.

Back