Help! Can't connect my Wii

Taylorzzz said:
I have the identical router and identical issues. I was looking to see if the thread starter might be able to share if he has learned how to fix the problem.
If you truly have the identical issue, then you should be able to find the identical fix in any of the 1000s of other threads with this identical issue using the WiiChat search feature.

If you have a different issue, then yes: start your own thread.

But calling these issues "identical" is like saying "hey, your car doesn't start... my car doesn't start... we have the exact same problem!" when one person has a dead battery and the other is out of gas. The "issue" as posed is just as generic.

sremick said:
If you truly have the identical issue, then you should be able to find the identical fix in any of the 1000s of other threads with this identical issue using the WiiChat search feature.

If you have a different issue, then yes: start your own thread.

But calling these issues "identical" is like saying "hey, your car doesn't start... my car doesn't start... we have the exact same problem!" when one person has a dead battery and the other is out of gas. The "issue" as posed is just as generic.

Get a life!

I'm a little confused. So your Wii can detect your router, but not connect?

I have/had a similar issue. My router is approx 3 rooms away, like yours. However, I get a very poor signal and a bad connection. I suggest that you move the wii closer, see if you still have the problem. Also, is your router set to use one of these (WEP, WPA and WPA2) types of security settings? My final idea is that your wii is just not compatible with your router...?

Bigred said:
I'm a little confused. So your Wii can detect your router, but not connect?

I have/had a similar issue. My router is approx 3 rooms away, like yours. However, I get a very poor signal and a bad connection. I suggest that you move the wii closer, see if you still have the problem. Also, is your router set to use one of these (WEP, WPA and WPA2) types of security settings? My final idea is that your wii is just not compatible with your router...?

BigRed,

Yes, I am actually getting a strong signal from my router, however, when I perform the connection test, it just doesn't seem to want to connect. I was hoping that it was a simple router setting and since the person who started this thread has the same router I was hoping for that magic fix.
Anyway, I just got in from FutureShop and purchased the LAN adapter which I am going to set-up now! Wish me luck!

Sorry for not getting back earlier but I've been away for a while.
As far as your router not connecting to the internet (i.e. failing the connection test) many routers are not compatable with the Wii as it 'comes out of the box'. Some of these issues have been addressed over the year with the system updates, in my case our Belkin originally wasn't compatable but after the 2nd system update of the Wii became compatable. You might have better luck after you update the system but if you can't connect at all it becomes a "Catch-22" situation.
I use the Lan adapter since our Wii is at the ragged edge of the house wifi network and I've got empty flex tubing running in all the walls. I just snaked a Cat-5 from the router to the Lan adapter and it works like a charm even on the 'incompatable' routers. Give that a try and let us know how it works.

Dr. Mom

Try going into your router's settings and changing it to Channel 11. That greatly improves the connection. If you don't know how to, search "How to find my IP address" on Google. That will help. If you don't know your username and password, reset your router.

Back