Help connecting to a network

johncf

WiiChat Member
Jul 1, 2007
Hi, i was hoping someone would be able to help me, i recently got ask4 internet in my flat, but it doesnt come down a phone line or dsl , its like a network (well it is) and thats fine i plug the network cable in to my wireless router and i can get on the net using mylaptop with ease problem is my wii is having none of it i know it can connect through this router as it worked fine with my last isp, something else which is slightly differant with this isp is that some times on my laptop when i open IE an ask4 login page comes up and asks for a login and pass word, the error code i get on the wii is " 52230 unableto connect to the server" i have read that this couldbe due to a firewall on the router but i have tried disabling this and it did not work.
the router i am using is a speedtouch 585v6 and like i said the internet is an ethanet connection,

hope someone can help
thanks for reading
john

johncf said:
Hi, i was hoping someone would be able to help me, i recently got ask4 internet in my flat, but it doesnt come down a phone line or dsl , its like a network (well it is) and thats fine i plug the network cable in to my wireless router and i can get on the net using mylaptop with ease problem is my wii is having none of it i know it can connect through this router as it worked fine with my last isp, something else which is slightly differant with this isp is that some times on my laptop when i open IE an ask4 login page comes up and asks for a login and pass word, the error code i get on the wii is " 52230 unableto connect to the server" i have read that this couldbe due to a firewall on the router but i have tried disabling this and it did not work.
the router i am using is a speedtouch 585v6 and like i said the internet is an ethanet connection,

hope someone can help
thanks for reading
john

how are you attempting to connect the Wii to the router? wired or wireless?

has DHCP on the router been disabled for some reason?

try allocating the Wii with a "manually assigned" IP address within the same
range as the IP of your pc. e.g. pc = 192.168.1.2 Wii 192.168.1.3
the subnet mask value will be 255.255.255.0 for this range of IP's
the default router (gateway) address will be the IP address of the router.

hi thanks for your reply i am trying to connect wirelessly, unfortunatly i cannot get on to my router for some reason to check its settings.
i try try the ip thing though

if you sort your out id be greatful if you let me know how, i have been intouch with ask4 and they tried setting my account up to accept my wii's mac address but this did not work so i am waiting for them to get back to me
ill let you know if i hear any thing

yes the wii picks up the sccess point but fails the connection test, im at work so cant remember the eroor code, ive been told today if i cant get an Ethernet router and send ask 4 the mac address they can sent up an auto authenticate user for me so the wii wouldnt have to "log in" which i think is the problem. also im told to try connecting my laptop via a network cable to the wall then my laptop to router wirelessly so the laptop logs in and my wii can connect to the internet through my laptop but i dont know how this will work as i use pcmcia wireless card in my laptop and the laptop never shows up when i search for network on the wii, unless the router will make the laptops connection available to me and i connect through the router.

ill try it when i get in any way

johncf said:
yes the wii picks up the sccess point but fails the connection test, im at work so cant remember the eroor code, ive been told today if i cant get an Ethernet router and send ask 4 the mac address they can sent up an auto authenticate user for me so the wii wouldnt have to "log in" which i think is the problem. also im told to try connecting my laptop via a network cable to the wall then my laptop to router wirelessly so the laptop logs in and my wii can connect to the internet through my laptop but i dont know how this will work as i use pcmcia wireless card in my laptop and the laptop never shows up when i search for network on the wii, unless the router will make the laptops connection available to me and i connect through the router.

ill try it when i get in any way

If you are connecting to some public wireless router then they probably have some crazy authentication on it.

You should google Internet connection sharing if you want to use your laptop as a wireless access point for the And the wii.

And the laptop isn't showing up because you have to have a card broadcasting in ad-hoc.

Open the start menu
Choose "Run"
In the run box type "CMD" then press ok
At the black command prompt screen type "ipconfig"
The third line should read "IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 999.x.x.x"

Or double click your connection state icon and look at the status.

And if you are going to go through a laptop you have to have the ad-hoc ip addresses on a second subnet and use the ip that is connected to the LAN or WAN as your gateway address on the wii.

Hi, unfortunatly the card the wirless card at the moment soes not support adhoc ability (unbeleivable for its price) ive come to the conclusion that my wireless router in fact a dsl router and all though it has eternet ports which my laptop connect through no problems, im guessing that becaue the wii thinks it is connecting to a dsl router its looking for a dsl signal and obviously not finding it, i will look up my ip though when i get in and post it .

mayby ill try it wired, i notice there are several wi lan connectors knoking around at about th £14 level but you can get a usb to lan dongle for £4 im guessing there not the same

thanks for your replys ill post the ip later

johncf said:
Hi, unfortunatly the card the wirless card at the moment soes not support adhoc ability (unbeleivable for its price) ive come to the conclusion that my wireless router in fact a dsl router and all though it has eternet ports which my laptop connect through no problems, im guessing that becaue the wii thinks it is connecting to a dsl router its looking for a dsl signal and obviously not finding it, i will look up my ip though when i get in and post it .

mayby ill try it wired, i notice there are several wi lan connectors knoking around at about th £14 level but you can get a usb to lan dongle for £4 im guessing there not the same

thanks for your replys ill post the ip later

I think you are a bit confused...

Do you have a router or a modem? There is no such thing as a wireless "dsl signal." And a router is a router. Whether you have DSL or Cable you still have an ethernet cable coming out of your modem that would go into the WAN port of the router.

not really....i mayby just didnt get it accross clear enough

i have a wireless dsl router which also has 4 ethernet ports and a line in soclet for a dsl connection
my internet comes through a network in the building rpovided by ask4 not via a phone line im trying to connect to the router wirelessly to use the internet on the network
but my thought was because its a dsl router the wii is expecting a dsl signal coming in to the router through its line in socket but obviously there is not ( a fact which it states when i log i to the menu on the router) i want to connect to the network.
my computer can connect to it fine wirelessly and my wii detects the router
but not the internet on the network

Back