HELP! Gamecube Memory Card stuck in Wii

Wattle said:
After reading this thread, I ran downstairs... looked through the boxes in my basement and got myself my old wavebird controller and my Mad Catz memory stick.

I put it in and tried to pull it out... it got stuck. :mad5:

So, I stuck it back in and pulled it out swiftly while squeezing it and there you have it, all you have to do to get your memory card out is pull it out fast or try squeezing it (the sides that have the logos and writing on them) and push it towards the Wii and them slide it upwards (I have my Wii vertical by the way) so if this doesn't work, I'm sorry but I tried everything I could to simulate what you have done.

Good luck with it. :p

It worked! Thanks man! I heard something pop :-S but I don't believe anything is damaged.

I will still post what Nintendo's reply is. I was going to do it anyway if I did get it out for future reference for anyone browsing this board and looking for Nintendo's answer to the problem.

Haha! Good for you, go Wattle! :lol:

(it probably helped that you loosened it about a million times :p)

i only have an official nintendo card that came w/animal crossing, which i bought for ten bucks canadian and it's never gotten even slightly stuck.

jus. said:
i only have an official nintendo card that came w/animal crossing, which i bought for ten bucks canadian and it's never gotten even slightly stuck.
Ya, that was a sweet deal, mem card w/ a good game. :D

ssbb_lover said:
Haha! Good for you, go Wattle! :lol:

(it probably helped that you loosened it about a million times :p)

(A million and 1, but who's counting? :p)

Spiraea said:
It worked! Thanks man! I heard something pop :-S but I don't believe anything is damaged.

I will still post what Nintendo's reply is. I was going to do it anyway if I did get it out for future reference for anyone browsing this board and looking for Nintendo's answer to the problem.

I'm glad you got it out. You might want to check the silver strip at the bottom of that card slot though. I read somewhere(IGN?) where someone yanked out the card but a metal piece came out with it ;)

I found this post (and this site) in a Google for 'wii stuck gamecube memory card', which I have been repeating every few days.

A little backstory. I haven't owned a Nintendo since the SNES. One of my former roommates had a GameCube, though, and when he left, he forgot one of his memory cards.

When I got my Wii on 12/3 I immediately put his old Pelican 4mb memory card into Slot A, and was delighted to see it work - I wouldn't have to buy one! - and crushed when I discovered it would not come back out. I guess this was my roommate's one last chance to get back at me. We weren't exactly friends.

I tried calling Nintendo but I only got a busy signal (maybe they don't like Skype? It's the closest thing I have to a landline, and I won't spend my prepaid cellular minutes on hold with them). I hadn't thought of e-mailing them, so I'll do that, and post back here if I get a response before someone else.

I have just defected from the Sony camp and I'm very pleased with the console in every respect except for this. It's rather insulting to see people requesting help and being told they're lying. Methinks some people let themselves get too fanatical about platforms, but I guess that shouldn't be new to me - I'm a Mac user. And no, not one of the arrogant ones. We do exist :p

Anyway, I thought I would also chip in that I too tried all manner of pushing and pulling, wiggling and squeezing, from-every-angle-you-could-possibly-imagine, but I always stopped when I heard the strain of plastic. The memory card slot does not feel nearly as sturdy as the rest of the console, controllers, etc. I am not willing to risk breaking the slot by forcing it out at this time. Another topic I found in my Googling suggests someone who used brute force did bend the metal contacts in the slot, which would render it inoperable and be rather tragic:
http://boards.ign.com/wii_sports/b10567/131582248/r132052019/

So, it will be interesting to see what Nintendo says, considering this was a third-party card. If people have been having problems with official cards, though, maybe I have some hope.

P.S.: anyone who suggested 'you put it in the wrong way' or 'you put it in the wrong slot' has obviously never seen any kind of Nintendo hardware.

Last edited:
lol aero like your p.s obviously only goes in one way lol but yeah other day played some gamecube on my wii it was alryte everything worked and the card did not get stuck but it is a nintendo memory card maybe only happens to third party cards ??.

Finally got a reply back

Message(#6851-000535-4205\5354205)

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you've encountered a problem with your Memory Card in the
Wii console. We at Nintendo value you as a customer and will strive to assist
you however we are able.

Normally, our website is equipped to address many of the issues our fans might
encounter with our products. However, in this case it would be more effective
to speak with you directly. At your earliest convenience, please contact
Nintendo's Consumer Service Department by calling 1-800-255-3700.
Representatives are available to speak to you between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
Pacific Time, seven days a week.

When calling, you may bypass the recorded information by pressing "0" on your
touch-tone phone. This will connect you to the next available representative.

Nintendo of America Inc.
R.M. Rickets

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/
Power Line (Automated Product Info): (425) 885-7529

Gee, Thanks..

Spiraea said:
Please help! I don't want to risk harming the Wii and I don't want to ruin my Gamecube data.

Had the same problem but pulled the card out (offical Nintendo card).

This WILL damage the two metal straps inside your wii.

Have mailed Nintendo and called them but almost a week later no reply.

Best leave the card in for now as other user are having the same problem.

Spiraea said:
Finally got a reply back

Gee, Thanks..

Can't really blame them for wanting to talk to you directly because they'll probably tell you to try a few things but they could have at least given you one thing to try. Thanks for posting it.

This only happens in Slot A right? I know people have put the card in slot B then switched to A thinking the Wii would look for a card in Slot A. Can you just use slot B? Will the Wii read it? If so, I guess everyone stick to slot B just incase ;)

WiiLink said:
Can't really blame them for wanting to talk to you directly because they'll probably tell you to try a few things but they could have at least given you one thing to try. Thanks for posting it.

This only happens in Slot A right? I know people have put the card in slot B then switched to A thinking the Wii would look for a card in Slot A. Can you just use slot B? Will the Wii read it? If so, I guess everyone stick to slot B just incase ;)

I haven't tried it yet to see if the Wii will read Slot B instead if nothing is in Slot A. The metal parts inside Slot A have been pulled up out of their original positions so I'm pretty sure my Slot A is damaged. I'm not looking to try it out anyway to find out lol. I would send it in to Nintendo since I have a 90 Day Warranty but I doubt I'd be playing Gamecube games that much on the Wii and if I do, I'm certain the Slot B will work as I have no problems with it thus far.

Spiraea said:
I have a 90 Day Warranty
Have a look on page 33 of your manual. The standard warranty is 12 months, which is extended by an additional 90 days if you register the console at nintendo.com. Awesome, eh? Who else does that these days?

Back