HELP! Gamecube Memory Card stuck in Wii

Wow, I haven't had any problems w/ either slots. I've been playing Naruto CoN2 =) As well as melee, so much fun.

Since my reply was a bit different, I thought I'd post it.

Message(#[REMOVED])

Hello David,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing a problem with your Wii console and Pelican's 4MB GameCube memory card.

The Pelican product that you mentioned is not licensed by Nintendo of America Inc., so I'm unable to answer your questions regarding it. Nintendo doesn't support, endorse or recommend using this product.

It may interest you to know that unlicensed products may not work at all with our game systems, and they may have compatibility problems with certain games or accessories. You can recognize licensed products by the Official Nintendo Seal on their packaging. This seal ensures quality and compatibility. For more information, please visit the following address:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/licensed.jsp
Based on what you described, it needs to be repaired. What options are available to you will depend on whether you have downloaded virtual content, such as Virtual Console games.

IF YOU DID NOT DOWNLOAD VIRTUAL CONTENT:
The quickest and most convenient way to get a working system is to set up an Advance Replacement. Under this program, we send you a replacement system directly. The directions that accompany the replacement console will explain how to make the exchange and send back your nonfunctioning console and to us in the same box, at no charge to you.

All that is required is a valid VISA or MasterCard number to secure the return (your card will not be charged unless you neglect to return your original system). To set up the order, please contact Nintendo's Consumer Service Department by calling 1-800-255-3700. Representatives are available to set up your repair between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time, seven days a week.

If you do not have a credit card, getting your console repaired is still convenient and free. You may set up a repair by visiting the Customer Service section of our website (www.nintendo.com/consumer). Once there, select the Wii icon, scroll down to Repairs and follow the directions.

IF YOU DID DOWNLOAD VIRTUAL CONTENT:
In order for us to transfer your content and Wii Shop Channel account to your replacement system, you will need to set up a standard repair by calling in directly. Please contact Nintendo's Consumer Service Department by calling 1-800-255-3700. Representatives are available to set up your repair between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time, seven days a week.

One more thing, please check out our important safety information for playing Wii on the following web page:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wiiplay.jsp

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
[NAME REMOVED]

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/
Power Line (Automated Product Info): (425) 885-7529

Although they chastise me for using an unlicensed product (I'm sorry! never again!) it would seem as though they do not intend to charge me for the repair. Unfortunately I do have Virtual Console purchases I want to retain, so I suppose I'll have to set up the latter one which takes who-knows-how-long. Maybe I'll do that in a month or two; I'm just having too much fun with the console to give it up right now.

IMO, what Nintendo should do is replace the system and offer a simple refund equal to the amount that you spent on Virtual Console stuff. This way you can get the new system, get the refund, and just respend that money on Virtual Console stuff. I guess the problem with that idea would be for people who don't like the VC games they downloaded. They could purposely mess up their Wii to get the refund and reuse the points. :)

MadCatz Card stuck in Slot A "solved"

So I had the same problem as you have guys. My MadCatz Memory card did not come out of Slot A, no matter how hard I pulled... Before breaking some contacts or damaging my precious Wii in another way, I came to a "7-step-solution".

As you might guess, I take no responsibility for what might happen to your Wii if you follow this guide!

HOW TO REMOVE A MADCATZ GAMECUBE MEMORY CARD
FROM YOUR WII IF IT GOT STUCK

Step 1: Remove the white cardslot-protectecting-door from the Wii as explained in the manual.

Step 2: Remove the three little screws on the top of the wii, holding the black cover/lid (its just for the optics / dust protection - it has no real function).

Step 3: Remove the black lid by gently pulling it to the back of the Wii, out of the front-faceplate that holds it a little at the front. That will give you more space for the "operation".

Step 4: Look at the backside of the MadCatz Card. Remove the two little screws to be able to pry it open a little (yes, you need 3 hands now).

Step 5: Use some pliers to pull out the memory module between the plastic. This can be tricky but trust me, it works if you pry open the plastic enough.

Step 6: Now the hard part is done. Just reattach the remaining two plastic parts (without the logic-board inside them) to each other and give the card a strong pull. Because the logic-board is no longer inside, the plastic gives in and its possible to pull the remains of the card out.

Step 7: Reassamble your Wii by following steps 3-1 in reverse order.

I hope this helps. You might get problems if the memory card is not a MadCatz (as mine is... umm- well, was :) because I dont know if all of them can be opened. But if it has screws so you could pull out the logic-board of the card and you dont want to give away your Wii for repair, go for it - it worked for me :)

Regards,
Markus

--
PS: Sorry for my humble english, I live in Austria and we speak - as you might know - German most of the time :D
Especially regarding those technical terms (pliers, logic-board) I'm not sure of their correct usage. ;)

I just thought I'd mention that I had the same problem and share the solution that worked for me. It seems that many of the MadCatz memory cards have these little metal strips along the bottom near the end that gets inserted into the system. I'm guessing that these are what's preventing the card from being removed. I haven't noticed these strips on the other memory cards I have, so I'm not sure what their purpose is, if any.

I was able to get mine out by gently squeezing the top and bottom of the card together and slowly pulling it out. I didn't have to exert any force to pull it out either, so you shouldn't run any risk of damaging your system or the memory card so long as you don't squeeze the card hard enough to crack the case or something. Hopefully this will work for anyone else having this problem!

solution to the problem

ok, so i went out today to buy up all of the good ol gc games since i just got my wii. ran me about 60 bux, plus i bought 2000 virtual console points and the classic controller.

so i got a pelican 59 block card. tried out all my games, and went to remove the card and it was stuck, i tried and tried, no luck.

so i read here, what i did was unscrew the 2 screws from the pelican card and pulled it out that way.

anyways, while it was apart i filed down the bottom part... (the hole where it connects to the contacts in the wii)
4bogenp.jpg

the sides of ths hole normally have rounded edges, if you file them out wider and squared it will slide in and out fine. also if you really feel file-happy, file down the sides where the little indentions are to hold it in on the side too, not that it will help anything, but the card will stay in on its own without any of the clips having to hold it in, due to the gravity.

if you plan on using it again in a game cube, don't file down the sides tho, as it may not stay in place after that.

it works like a charm now, doesn't get stuck...
just take it apart and file down the inside on the bottom, where the actual circuit board for the memory card is visible. i used metal files to do this, but a dremel, razor blade, exacto knife, kitchen knife, or scissors can be used to do this as well, just be careful with anything sharp. if you lob off a finger, it wont be so easy to play games.

edit: oh and btw if you take the black thing off (its like a quarter of a mm thick, worthless to remove) its annoying to put back on.

oh and the standard disclaimer, its not my fault if you break it.

Last edited:
i think u shuld have just left the wii on connect24, waited for it 2 get warm/hot and then tried.
Releases stresses on plastic u see

My Max Drive PRo memory card goes in and out fine so far for me, as does some generic brand 4x card I bought at walmart... Weird.

Transfixed said:
Use a hyperbolic laser on it for 20-30 seconds, then hit it with the transactor beam for another minute or so. Grab some tongs, as it will be extremely cold, and grip it with both hands. Give the system a good intimidating shout, then PULL as hard as you can. It oughtta let loose with the memory card.
If it's still stuck, try dipping the system in a shallow pan of liquefied plasma extract, then quickly throwing it out the window.
GUARANTEED to work. Trust me, I do this all the time.

lmao, that was pretty funny

I'm decing whether to buy a Memory Card. And am really confused, so if you can help, please do so. DON'T LIE!!!

1: Does the Official Nintendo GameCube Memory Card work with the Wii and in both slots?

2: Is it only Slot A that these Memory Cards get stuck in?

3: Does using the memory card in Slot B and having Slot A Empty work?

Back