HELP!! Having pproblems with my Wii repair

midiman

WiiChat Member
Feb 25, 2008
Hi all

Starting to pull my hair out in frustration over this one :mad2: (sorry about lengthy description). I chipped my wii with a Wiinja Deluxe a while back and all seened to be well untill my Wii drive started making a loud grinding/buzzing sound like a plastic cog turning and not engaging when a disc was inserted. With a bit of coaxing would accept it and then play it. Sometimes would get the same problem ejecting the disc. Would always play fine when disc was
successfully inserted though with no read errors at all.

Eventually stopped making that sound and would no longer accepting a disc being inserted i.e would no longer draw it in. At this point I realised I needed to get it repaired. I eventual settled on Console Werks in Basildon as they are not to far from me. I put it in for repair and initially they told me the drive needed replacing at a cost of £100. I questioned this as it struck me the problem was only a mechanical fault and not an electronic or Laser issue. It turned out there was a misunderstanding on what the fault was due to initial fault description. We agreed that they could remove my Wiinja Delux chip to help aid diagnostics. They went away and identified that the problem was a broken nipple that one of the cogs locks on to which tied in with the problem I was experiencing. We agreed a fee of £60 to replace part and repair.

A few days later I picked up my now repaired wii. Sure enough when I got it home I inserted a disc and it took it albeit noisily like it was struggling to read it. It after a minute or so it came up with the following message :-

"An error has occurred. Press the Eject button and remove the disc, then turn the Wii Console off and refer to the Wii operations manual for help troubleshooting"

I was not happy so arranged to bring it back for them to have another look at it. A day later I got a call to say they had tested all the components and they were working fine. They also said that it came up with this problem on some discs but

not others. His explanation was that the Wiinja Deluxe chip had permanently disabled the onboard security and that without the chip being refitted, would not work. He also said that if that didn’t fix it the it would cost another £40 to replace the PCB on the drive.

I wasn’t entirely satisfied with his explanation but decided to collect it, take it home and resolder the chip in as suggested. It made no difference except that when I tried a DVDr it came up with the same message as above instead of the Unable to read disc message you would expect without a chip. Further to that I found that it would recognize 2 disc’s (Sonic Rings & Farcry) but when I tried to load them, I got the same message as above

Now my question is this.

Has anybody else seen this message before and know about probable causes?

If it is a PCB problem, then why did it read discs fine before the mechanical fault and not now?

I cant help but wonder if Console Werks have done something that has caused further problems (not making any accusations here, just speculating), maybe put something out of alighnment or damaged the PCB when they removed my chip?

Any help would be appreciated :lease:

Don't mod your Wii. It's a cheap console, its games are cheaper, and modding it raises the likelihood of it breaking or bricking at some time enough so that you probably end up paying just as much to get it fixed or replaced, not to mention the time that goes into all that. If you don't mess with your Wii or drop it or do something stupid with it, it's almost never going to break... but if you do, you can expect it to get screwed up some time.

From my experience, broken/malfunctioning disc drives are some of the worst problems you can encounter with a game system - often it's just cheaper and easier to buy a new system. If you don't want to do that, be sure to go to the best repair place and don't be too cheap.

KTIGZ said:
Man does that suck. Why did you get it modded in the first place?

Probably for the cheap bootleg games that could be had.

I also want to say that I've had modded systems before (in China, only modded systems are available). I've had two PS2 systems, both modded. They both had optical drive problems, with one eventually failing to read discs. Later on, I learned that opening the system up can cause minor changes within the hardware that eventually brings problems. Also, bootleg burned CDs/games are rarely of the high quality that official games are, sometimes they don't work, but more often, they work but cause the optical hardware to work harder when reading them and thus greatly shorten the life of the hardware. So, mods to consoles may save money in the short term, but it definitely increases risk of malfunction and may bring back the costs in the long term.

The only reason why I might mod the Wii is because of the region lock. I really wanna get some JP exclusive if they're good :x
Hopefully they can create a disc to solve that like they did with the GC.

Back