help. i've blown it up!

forky

WiiChat Member
Jan 27, 2007
hi folks. i bought a wii in new york this week. fine. brought it back to uk today. stupidly bought a crap step down converter from the airport. should've waited and got a better one. when i plugged it in there was a 'pop' and my wii has ablsolutely no life. do you reckon it's the ac adapter thats ruined or is my wii knackered? i have been out and bought a top quality usa/uk converter but still no life. damn!

i don't think they'll wanna know as its imported. do you think i should contact nintendo uk or usa?

forky said:
hi folks. i bought a wii in new york this week. fine. brought it back to uk today. stupidly bought a crap step down converter from the airport. should've waited and got a better one. when i plugged it in there was a 'pop' and my wii has ablsolutely no life. do you reckon it's the ac adapter thats ruined or is my wii knackered? i have been out and bought a top quality usa/uk converter but still no life. damn!
it will be your wii that is broke... the ac adapter is a step down transformer in it's self and will step down the amps a certain amount, now because you used a crappy adapter before hand, it sounds like it hasn't step down enough, and you frazzled a few things.

forky said:

Your going to have buy a new Wii. You voided your waranty by using a US Wii in the UK.

Even if you had got a decent adapter, the Wii IS region locked, USA is NTSC and Europe and Austrailia are PAL, this means that the Wii you bought in america will work in america but not europe! So your really silly not to of checked this before hand and your basically screwed now unless you can get it back to america. But on the other hand nintendo's customer service is great so you need to contact them not us!!

I know all about importing the games and my tv is ok with ntsc. that was not the issue.

the power difference is what got you....aren't your outlets 220V and ours 120V

also every game you want you will have to import from the usa

just get a wii from your area

You dont seem to understand...Like I just explained the Wii is regoin locked no matter what you do it will not work in another region! That's why they call it a regoin lock! the games are alos locked to the same regoin console however its no good if the console doesnt work!!

And it is true that you have voided your warranty by importing it. as far as nintendo is concerned it was your fault and not theirs. You have voided your warranty automatically voids

dds said:

Precisely the point why he heard the "pop" sound the components were overloaded with power

You killed your Wii. You'd really have no right to return it for a repair.

dds said:

also every game you want you will have to import from the usa

just get a wii from your area
240V, but whats important is the amps.

for example, i have been electricuted by 7000 volts, but it didn't hurt a single bit, because the amps where low ;)

thats very true believe it or not only 15 milliamperes across the heart is enough to kill a man.....damn im a nerd :crazy:

Back