help. i've blown it up!

I know that imported wiis work over here cos my mate's got an american one. i should've bought a better drop down converter. never mind. back to world of warcraft and UT 4 me. never been much of a console player really. shame, the wii looked fun

You can't pass this off lol seriously. You ****ed it up and you should pay the price. Buy one from UK? it really is a good console and shouldn't be missed out.

Only option is for you to get the Wii back to the store where u got it from "hopefully it's a major chain and not no times square electronic store" and just tell them it's not working. No questions asked you would be givin a new one so long as you don't mention you fried it.

Your Wii should be ok. The USA powersupply expects 120V input so when you put 220V (or whatever) the powersupply pulled to many amps thus blowing a capacitor most likely. You can make your own powersupply if you can get access to a powersupply that outputs 12volts at 3.7 amps. You can probably run it off a hacked computer psu. :idea:

In the world of electronics Voltage is more important than amps.

WiiGod said:
Even if you had got a decent adapter, the Wii IS region locked, USA is NTSC and Europe and Austrailia are PAL, this means that the Wii you bought in america will work in america but not europe! So your really silly not to of checked this before hand and your basically screwed now unless you can get it back to america. But on the other hand nintendo's customer service is great so you need to contact them not us!!

:lol:

Just because your in a different country doesn't cause it to stop working. Im pretty sure gaming consoles don't have a GPS. Region locked means that it is set to work with games and accessories from that region. So an American Wii will have to have American game. So as long as he has a NTSC TV, 120V ACV power, and American games he will be fine.

Im wondering what is the rating on that converter you bought at the Airport? You may have just drawn to many amps through it and blew it.

Last edited:
sell it on ebay :) just kidding. uhm, you shouldnt let this stop you from buying one still -_-

Wii

You can buy a DC adaptor for the Wii for UK standards. You can import the Wii. However you should know that some titles will not work unless you get Region 1 games. Its most likely your DC adapter because it does have a thermal fuse inside of it. You Wii also has fuses inside of it.

Capt Elmer said:
Your Wii should be ok. The USA powersupply expects 120V input so when you put 220V (or whatever) the powersupply pulled to many amps thus blowing a capacitor most likely.
I'd say your Wii should be ok too.
I would guess that the PSU has taken the hit. (more likely fuse than capacitor)
I would also guess if you got another (British) Wii PSU it may work just fine, as the DC voltages would remain the same globally.

cool. worth a try. i've ordered a new dc adapter. hopefully that'll work. thanks to the helpful ones on the forum.

i think regioning is bs screw ntsc and pal make one kinda system period
screw different plugs and **** thats just stupid, i dont know if america is diffferent or euope is differnt but we need a damned global standard for measurments, power, systems, and anythign else...like monies, it sound all be one standard to reduce arguments

I've got a new ac adapter off ebay and its all ok . good to go! so a warning to anyone importing get a decent voltage drop-down converter:D

wow.. u got lucky.. i really thought something fried.. for most people that dont understand the region crap.. he shouldnt have any problems playing the US wii in Europe aslong as he has the ac adapter.. a region 1 game and the correct tv that has ntsc capabilities.. so it doesnt really matter where u live it depends on the equipment u use.

Back