Help needed: WEP key problems

smck75

Minamato no Yoshitsune
Feb 8, 2008
Hi all,

Going through the motions of setting up the Wifi connection.

The Wii finds my access point, the name of my router and the type of security in use. However, when I type in the key and test connection, no connection is made. Not too sure why this is happening as it's the right key I'm using :(

Any ideas?!

if you are inexperieced with wireless encryption then stick with wep64 or wep128.

also, depending on the wireless brand and key-method stick with the following characters: abcdef0123456789
type whatever you want, but pick from those characters, you can use the same characters if you want... write it down somewhere.

set it up on your router and KNOW wich letters are capitals and lowercase while you type it (make sure capslock is off)... perhaps test it on another PC (if you have a wireless PC). if successful then try it on your wii.

this is difficult to explain, without much of a description... i'm assuming that if you misconfigure your current setup that you won't get in trouble by a parent or another user... :yesnod:

FYI, WPA is faster and more secure and it works perfect with our Wii to a D-Link 655. As long as you don't have some older client that needs WEP and/or your router supports WPA/WPA2.

Strange thing is, the key process works on my wireless laptop...just tried it after re-configuring my router with a new key.

Tried WPA...still the same problem. Can't connect after typing in the key.

Is your router firmware up to date?

I had a few issues getting our PC clients to connect with the new router - updated the router to the latest firmware and updated the clients (Win/XP) with the WPA/2 hotfix and everything works like a champ, including the Wii.

Make sure you're using the same encryption spec for WPA (TKIP or AES).

It sounds like the Wii is not getting authenticated on the router, especially if it works with authentication/encryption disabled (which is a good way to cross check).

When you tried WPA, did you set both the Wii AND the router for WPA?

I stopped using WEP ages ago and have never attempted with my Wii, but I have found with other things that while some clients/routers might automatically create a hex WEP off from some general ASCII passphrase you type in, you might still have to use the long raw hexadecimal version in the other device. So play it safe and make sure you're typing in the resulting hex key into the Wii, and not the passphrase you used to create the hex key on the router.

Pain in the butt, but you only have to get it right once.

sremick said:
Pain in the butt, but you only have to get it right once.

Hence why most people just turn that sh** off :lol:

Is it a wannado box? cause i had a problem on mine like that you press the 1 button on the wannado box then input the WEP key (on the bottom of the router) and the router accepts the connection

nxcmp said:
Hence why most people just turn that sh** off :lol:
Hence why even more people then steal the wireless internet off those clueless people without them knowing.

idjut said:
if you are inexperieced with wireless encryption then stick with wep64 or wep128.

also, depending on the wireless brand and key-method stick with the following characters: abcdef0123456789
type whatever you want, but pick from those characters, you can use the same characters if you want... write it down somewhere.

set it up on your router and KNOW wich letters are capitals and lowercase while you type it (make sure capslock is off)... perhaps test it on another PC (if you have a wireless PC). if successful then try it on your wii.

this is difficult to explain, without much of a description... i'm assuming that if you misconfigure your current setup that you won't get in trouble by a parent or another user... :yesnod:

She is exactly right. Otherwise your doing somethingelse wrong. Stick to a 128wep key. Thw wii works with most routers, but other need to be tweaked. Also is you router a b/g or just b... I have problems with straight up b router in the past.

Turns out it was nothing to do with the security and more do to with the way my pc was originally configured to my modem and subsequently my router. My PC was configured to the wireless router using the IP from the modem i.e 82.<>.<>.<> when in fact it should have been 192.<>.<>.<>: the router.

Hence my Wii could not connect wireless since my laptop was already connected i.e two devices trying to use the modem's IP address at the same time.

Changed the configuration settings to allow for different devices to connect through the wireless router. If anyone else is experiencing similar problems, my router is a linksys WRT54GS - best calling the manufacturer directly.

Back