Help: Not sure if Wii is for me.

Its kind of funny that the Wii is often labelled as a 'kiddys console' yet there are lots of people here saying the 360 or PS3 would be better for 5 and 8 year olds.:ihih:

No Skate on Wii. There are a couple of Tony Hawk games, i think they use controls similar to the other games except for waving the Wiimote to do tricks.

War games, Wii has Call of Duty and Medal of Honor: Vanguard. Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 comes out soon with an onrails option so you just point and shoot with the Wiimote, so it should be easier for little kids. Battalion Wars 2 looks like a suitable war game for kids too.

Godzilla: Unleashed comes out on Wii in November.

For Star Wars games the Wii is getting Lego Star Wars which is basically the 2 previous games combined and will let you wave the Wiimote for characters with lightsabers. There were also 5 Star Wars games on the Gamecube that can be played on Wii (including the excellent Rogue Squadron games).

There are lots of other kid friendly games on Wii as well, Mario games etc.

Im not sure about the range of games suitable for 5 and 8 year olds on 360 as the only 360 games that i really know of (other than multiplatform games) are Gears of War, Bioshock and Halo.

I wouldnt recommend the PS3 at all for 5 or 8 year olds, except for that it plays PS2 games. It seems more marketed towards multimedia users and mature gamers than kids.

If you are willing to spend PS3 kind of money though you could almost buy both a Wii and a 360 and have the best of both worlds.

raisinghelen said:
Its kind of funny that the Wii is often labelled as a 'kiddys console' yet there are lots of people here saying the 360 or PS3 would be better for 5 and 8 year olds.:ihih:

No Skate on Wii. There are a couple of Tony Hawk games, i think they use controls similar to the other games except for waving the Wiimote to do tricks.

War games, Wii has Call of Duty and Medal of Honor: Vanguard. Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 comes out soon with an onrails option so you just point and shoot with the Wiimote, so it should be easier for little kids. Battalion Wars 2 looks like a suitable war game for kids too.

Godzilla: Unleashed comes out on Wii in November.

For Star Wars games the Wii is getting Lego Star Wars which is basically the 2 previous games combined and will let you wave the Wiimote for characters with lightsabers. There were also 5 Star Wars games on the Gamecube that can be played on Wii (including the excellent Rogue Squadron games).

There are lots of other kid friendly games on Wii as well, Mario games etc.

Im not sure about the range of games suitable for 5 and 8 year olds on 360 as the only 360 games that i really know of (other than multiplatform games) are Gears of War, Bioshock and Halo.

I wouldnt recommend the PS3 at all for 5 or 8 year olds, except for that it plays PS2 games. It seems more marketed towards multimedia users and mature gamers than kids.

If you are willing to spend PS3 kind of money though you could almost buy both a Wii and a 360 and have the best of both worlds.
wii is a kiddy system cause its best games (which are from nintendo) are influenced by kids, therefore its "kiddy".

Yeah, you should buy a 360. It's the second xbox and since your kids enjoyed the first one so much, they should love this one just as much.

Plus, it's got every single game your kids want on it and many more are on there way.

So get a 360, unless your kids really, really want that Wii..

Sell that thing and get a Wii, I've played the 360, Loved it, But it depends, Wii is totally thinking about more than Single player when it comes to gaming, I suggest get Mario party 8 4 wii contoller and go crazy, The Wii is always great when it comes to adding one more person to a game, If you are into graphics then stick with the 360, But if your for entertainment for more than just one person, and it gets good, I've had Wii sports from the day i got my wii, Me and my dad love playing it, Sometimes he'll bug me about wanting to play it lol, But yeah the wii is totally Suiting for a family, And with Bwii comming out, Theres a VERY good shooter game for you guys, It's 4 player and you guys are gona love the online co-op, And mario strikers is a good Co-op game also,

SO i recomend the Wii

I think the wii is more suited for you needs. The wii is more child-oriented than an xbox360 and ps3. Most of the games that you listed are on the wii or have games very similar on the wii. As for the shooting games, I haven't tried to many yet so... The shooting games on xbox360 and ps3 are designed for teens and I don't know if an 8 year-old should play them... The wii-mote is a very comfortable and useful controller and should not be compared to a tv remote. If you are unsure about it, visit a store that was one on display and mess around with it. Nintendo products are also very durable... something you might want to consider for young children.

Sovieto said:
my god nintendo has you guys down good. not enough wii games? buy our old accessories and games from a system that near failed last gen!

that isn't quite how i meant it, however i'm aware that that's kind of how it came out. All i was trying to illustrate is the fact that even with buying the GC controllers you're still spending way less than a PS3 that only comes with one controller. I am perfectly fine with the games out for Wii right now, i only really play a couple of them anyway. If i could justify buying a PS3 i would have got it. But to me the game selection definitely doesn't justify the purchase(maybe to some of you it did but i wasn't overly interested in any of the games they've offered so far) and the price tag hurts. When the price drops and they release some games that i find more than mildly interesting i'll go for it(which will happen it just hasn't happened yet).

Also if you read my post, i did mention that depending on the type of games you like xbox or ps would be the better system, all i pointed out was the price tag.
You can have a Nintendo Wii with 2 Controller Setups and 2 games or you can have 1/2 of a PS3 with one controller and no games.

-Kyle

Last edited:
Get a Wii or a PS3 (if you have enough money)

Get the XBOX 360 if you want to become an expert packaging and sending to service (Microsoft) your console every 2 or 3 months for repairs.

Haha! that was funny, man! "if you want to become an expert packaging"

Thanks for all your help. I think in the end, it sounds like the Wii should be best. The sticking points on the Wii for me were "could my kids learn to play with this remote", "no SKATE", and enough games for my 5 year old. My 8 year old would be happy with Tony Hawk games, as his favorite skater is Ryan Sheckler and he is not in the SKATE game.

The sticking points with the 360 were price, durability, and not enough games for my 5 year old. He loves war games, but they are too hard for him; it sounds like Battalion Wars may be right for him and Godzilla Unleashed coming out sealed the deal.

Any word on if the Wii will have a new Holiday Price Tag?

I think I am going to stop at Gamestop and see if they can give my kids a demo of the Wii. Do they do that for you?

Thanks again.

PIZ- hey as for your kids learning to play with remote.. i have a 5 yearold boy and he cant turn on the wii and do what he wants to do without anyhelp at all with just using the wiimote... i also have a NES and ps2 in the house and he has trouble useing the controller since hes stepped up the plate with a wiimote. id say get it the kids will really enjoy it..

PIZ said:
Any word on if the Wii will have a new Holiday Price Tag?

I think I am going to stop at Gamestop and see if they can give my kids a demo of the Wii. Do they do that for you?

Thanks again.
Nintendo have indicated that there wont be any Wii price cuts any time soon.

I would think if it wasnt too busy that Gamestop would give you a Wii demo.

I have to say that Rayman Raving Rabbids is a great game for kids. Mine was played by ages 2, 8 and 10 and they all seemed to love it, especially the plunger shooting stages. Then i traded it in for RE4 and ive been getting flak from them constantly about it, luckily Raving Rabbids 2 is out soon.

Vedelkin10 said:
Sell that thing and get a Wii, I've played the 360, Loved it, But it depends, Wii is totally thinking about more than Single player when it comes to gaming, I suggest get Mario party 8 4 wii contoller and go crazy, The Wii is always great when it comes to adding one more person to a game, If you are into graphics then stick with the 360, But if your for entertainment for more than just one person, and it gets good, I've had Wii sports from the day i got my wii, Me and my dad love playing it, Sometimes he'll bug me about wanting to play it lol, But yeah the wii is totally Suiting for a family, And with Bwii comming out, Theres a VERY good shooter game for you guys, It's 4 player and you guys are gona love the online co-op, And mario strikers is a good Co-op game also,

SO i recomend the Wii
woah! wii is focused around party fun more than single player or online id say. the only good single player games are made by nintendo and only 2 of those are truly awesome. 360 and ps have the games like bioshock, oblivion, god of war, mass effect, too human, uncharted, and so on and so forth. oO

smyth said:
that isn't quite how i meant it, however i'm aware that that's kind of how it came out. All i was trying to illustrate is the fact that even with buying the GC controllers you're still spending way less than a PS3 that only comes with one controller. I am perfectly fine with the games out for Wii right now, i only really play a couple of them anyway. If i could justify buying a PS3 i would have got it. But to me the game selection definitely doesn't justify the purchase(maybe to some of you it did but i wasn't overly interested in any of the games they've offered so far) and the price tag hurts. When the price drops and they release some games that i find more than mildly interesting i'll go for it(which will happen it just hasn't happened yet).

Also if you read my post, i did mention that depending on the type of games you like xbox or ps would be the better system, all i pointed out was the price tag.
You can have a Nintendo Wii with 2 Controller Setups and 2 games or you can have 1/2 of a PS3 with one controller and no games.

-Kyle
fair enough

highroller said:
Get a Wii or a PS3 (if you have enough money)

Get the XBOX 360 if you want to become an expert packaging and sending to service (Microsoft) your console every 2 or 3 months for repairs.
as amusing as your comment it its not entirely true. most 360s dont break and even when they do, in most situations it doesnt break multiple times

Last edited:
Back